• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Vanitas

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Wolfgang Plattner: “Vanishing (memento Mori)”

Wolfgang,

I’ve been pondering since 3:00 am this very unusual composition of natural elements of our fragile planet:

a skeletonized leaf floating over a smooth ~ granite pebble in a cavity of stone!

....and then the memorable phrase in the title, “Memento Mori”!

The elements are not arranged to leverage the life-giving energy of light, but layered, reminiscent of strata recording geological history, itself!

In a way, this picture is a reminder of man’s infinitely small presence in time on earth. This, despite his power to love, reproduce and have offspring, is a speck in earth-time. Man is limited by his need for gratification at all cost, right now! This type of selfish life is by nature Gomperzian.

We are bound to destroy even ourselves and create merely another layer of detritus and ashes to mark the age when hominids dominated the planet!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi

Thanks Asher für your words...you got it,
Dexter, thankyou for your idea, I will refer to that in some postprocessing ...
Glad I got it right, Wolfgang!

It was amazing to see this, demanding of us, “humility” and at the same seeing a new email inviting me to submit a public art sculpture to go up in Venice in 2020, stoking my very mortal “vanity”!

Asher