• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Visiting Egypt - Looking for advices!

Samuel Clark

Hello everyone, I am beginning to plan a trip to Egypt in October and wanted to get some suggestions on places to visit and things to do from those of you who have already traveled there. My itinerary is still quite flexible. What are some top places for excellent photography, including iconic landmarks as well as any lesser known locations worth checking out? Additionally, are there any local customs or foods that I should be sure not to miss while experiencing the local culture and history? I'm also hoping to discover any hidden gems or spots off the beaten path. Thank you in advance for any recommendations as I start planning my Egypt adventure!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wonderful vacation idea.

But first, how old are you and will you be traveling alone and what’s your financial means? All will effect where and how you will travel!

Please introduce yourself: real name, where you are in life’s wonderful journey, occupation and interest in
Photography.

Asher

Samuel Clark

Hello @Asher Kelman Thank you, I'm Samuel Clark, 28. I'm a lawyer by the way. I do love travelling and photography is one of my hobbies outside work.
Have you been into Egypt? or any travel recently?

Stephen Green

Hello everyone, I am beginning to plan a trip to Egypt in October and wanted to get some suggestions on places to visit and things to do from those of you who have already traveled there. My itinerary is still quite flexible. What are some top places for excellent photography, including iconic landmarks as well as any lesser known locations worth checking out? Additionally, are there any local customs or foods that I should be sure not to miss while experiencing the local culture and history? I'm also hoping to discover any hidden gems or spots off the beaten path. Thank you in advance for any recommendations as I start planning my Egypt adventure!

I focused my travel in Cairo when I went there a few years ago. For iconic landmarks and excellent photography, the top 5 must-see Cairo attractions for me are the Pyramids of Giza, Al-Azhar Mosque, Saqqara & Dahshur, Khan el-Khalili, and the Citadel of Saladin. Make sure to experience the local culture. Try sampling traditional Egyptian dishes like ful medames (fava bean stew), falafel (deep fried delights bursting with herbs and flavor), and my favorite street food koshari.

Hiring a local guide can also take you to hidden gems based on your preferences. Egypt has so much rich history and culture to explore.

Samuel Clark

@Stephen Green Thank you so much for your advices, how long did u stayed in Cairo? I was planning for Luxor and Cairo also. and yes, I should never miss out Pyramid of Giza it's on the top of my list place to visit. How about shawarma? I heard it's good also have you tried I read about it and Regarding on hiring a local guide, where did you get yours? A friend of mine also suggested the same that hiring one will be better because he says it's less hassle. I search up on the internet and saw this one https://gowithguide.com/egypt do you think it's good? I wanna yours also so, I could have other options. Thank you in advance!

Stephen Green

@Stephen Green Thank you so much for your advices, how long did u stayed in Cairo? I was planning for Luxor and Cairo also. and yes, I should never miss out Pyramid of Giza it's on the top of my list place to visit. How about shawarma? I heard it's good also have you tried I read about it and Regarding on hiring a local guide, where did you get yours? A friend of mine also suggested the same that hiring one will be better because he says it's less hassle. I search up on the internet and saw this one https://gowithguide.com/egypt do you think it's good? I wanna yours also so, I could have other options. Thank you in advance!
I spent three days in Cairo, but five would be better to fully immerse myself in the culture. Shawarma is delicious—try different variations!

I booked a guide through my hotel, but wasn't impressed. GowithGuide seems like a reliable option. Consider booking a guide beforehand to maximize your time. Having a local guide offers valuable insights, but compatibility is key. Choose someone whose style aligns with yours. Luxor is next on my list. Maybe I'll explore with your guide of choice. Let us know how it went with the local guide with some photos, @killthephoto.