• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Water transportation: boats, ships, barges, harbours, sluices, etc.

Jerome Marot

Michael,

Your taking position, height and distance provides the advantage to allow such a fine geometric shot. What a good idea and execution.

Asher

Indeed. But, and since you cut part of the picture to make it into a panorama, could you straighten the horizon which appears tilted to the left?

Cem_Usakligil

Indeed. But, and since you cut part of the picture to make it into a panorama, could you straighten the horizon which appears tilted to the left?
I had a similar thought at first but upon closer inspection, I don't think the horizon is actually tilted. If one zooms into the housing area on the top right hand corner, one can see that they are vertical as they should be. I think that the receding coast line and the inclined patch of light cause the impression that the image is tilted, while it is not.

Jerome Marot

The white line at the top left appears to be the shore, which should be horizontal. It is exactly perpendicular to the crane at the bottom left, which should be vertical. If the image is tilted about 2° counterclockwise, both are straight. The left house of the top right group of houses is angled to the viewer so its roof base should not be horizontal.

The clear line at the back is a road, which climbs behind the group of houses ant therefore should not be horizontal. This is what confuses the eye, I believe.

James Cook

SS Badger

Here's a shot of the SS Badger pulling out of Ludington, Michigan. The Badger, a car ferry, is the last coal fired steamship on the Great Lakes.

badger.jpg

SS Badger

On the Great Lakes, no matter what the size, it's a boat, not a ship.

And before anyone gets on me about tilted images, the lighthouse does lean.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ruben, James,

Very good pictures from both of you, thanks for sharing.

@Ruben: speaking of fishing boats, I would like to share this one again:

f39293.jpg

@James: this is a similar picture to yours:

f14112.jpg

Michael Nagel

Tom - Thank you. I just saw it walking back down during a hike.

Asher - Thanks! The geometry attracted me.

Jerome - Thanks! I seem to have a tendency to pair clear and sometimes symmetrical settings with asymmetrical environments. The receding coastline is very common for me in these settings.

Cem - Thanks and thanks for answering in my place.

Ruben, 'Tuna fishing boats' and the above one you posted are wonderful.

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

This one is from Sail 2010 in Amsterdam: the singing and dancing sailors on the tall ship Dewaruci from Indonesia.

f28697.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jerome,

You can post it larger here. Try1400 pixels wide. This is an excellent pano and I've never seen Singapore!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Fishing boats this evening....

f48651.jpg

Cem,

How is it that HDR works so well for the water. I'd expect some cancellation of the ruffles on the water by successive shots as the water is moving. I'd have thought the water pattern would then be degraded and become flatter with some occasional high peaks, perhaps as wavelets in the opposite direction cancel each other or in the same direction, build up. Why is it so good? That's so counterintuitive! How does it compare with a single shot, normally exposed?

Asher

Cem,

How is it that HDR works so well for the water. I'd expect some cancellation of the ruffles on the water by successive shots as the water is moving. I'd have thought the water pattern would then be degraded and become flatter with some occasional high peaks, perhaps as wavelets in the opposite direction cancel each other or in the same direction, build up. Why is it so good? That's so counterintuitive! How does it compare with a single shot, normally exposed?

Hi Asher,

Good question. A part of the answer is that SNS-HDR (which is what Cem uses) doesn't do a traditional HDR composite and then tonemap. Compositing an HDR is done by getting the individual exposure brackets into perfect registration/alignment and then picking weighted averages of the pixels from each bracket to compute the new pixel value. The calculation is more complex than that, but that's a major part of it and it indeed can average out movement of waves photographed at different moments in their cycles.

A better sort of HDR compositing calculates (after exposure matching) e.g. the standard deviation of the different pixels that contribute to the new pixel, and if it exceeds a (noise) threshold it assumes movement/ghosting to be present. That can trigger a variety of mechanisms, the simplest of which are using a single exposure from the series, or a median value approach.

SNS-HDR uses a system of exposure fusion rather than HDR compositing, which could be implemented by using larger regions from individual images, presumably the exposures with longer exposure time and thus less noise for that region.

Finally, having created an image with a much larger dynamic range, it has to be tonemapped (to avoid a low contrast/dull image) which is where the real creative magic happens, but at that point the waves are already kept intact, or not.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

DSC01603.jpg

August Evening on Lake Michigan​

James,

As has been written countless times, sunsets, romantic views are so often photographed that it's difficult to rise above postcard-pretty and merely sentimental. Here, with your sailboat to the mid left and the sun layered over partly with clouds, you have began some differentiation. This picture is more easy to sell than many others for offices as it has no political or offensive content and is uplifting.

Asher

James Cook

The light on the hill balances everything.

Thanks Asher.

I've often figured that I'm better off NOT knowing how much of my life has been spent waiting for clouds to move. To eliminate the sun, to let the sun through or to give me the right combination of the two. This was one of those times, shivering and waiting between frames.

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Good question. A part of the answer is that SNS-HDR (which is what Cem uses) doesn't do a traditional HDR composite and then tonemap. Compositing an HDR is done by getting the individual exposure brackets into perfect registration/alignment and then picking weighted averages of the pixels from each bracket to compute the new pixel value. The calculation is more complex than that, but that's a major part of it and it indeed can average out movement of waves photographed at different moments in their cycles.

A better sort of HDR compositing calculates (after exposure matching) e.g. the standard deviation of the different pixels that contribute to the new pixel, and if it exceeds a (noise) threshold it assumes movement/ghosting to be present. That can trigger a variety of mechanisms, the simplest of which are using a single exposure from the series, or a median value approach.

SNS-HDR uses a system of exposure fusion rather than HDR compositing, which could be implemented by using larger regions from individual images, presumably the exposures with longer exposure time and thus less noise for that region.

Finally, having created an image with a much larger dynamic range, it has to be tonemapped (to avoid a low contrast/dull image) which is where the real creative magic happens, but at that point the waves are already kept intact, or not.

Thanks Bart for you helpful explanation. Some mechanism for dealing with time based changes of real things that are not artifacts should be allowed for, such as moving branches of trees, waves or clouds. Perhaps one can designate which is the form that should be taken as the reference where there's a choice between averaging out waves, branches and leaves that have moved or maintaining structure.

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Great thread, good stuff here! Thanks very much to each of you who commented the photos I've posted, I really appreciate that!

Now I want to share this just for sentimental reasons. This is a photo (I don't have a decent scan) of one of the first and few prints I did at home somewhere between 1980 and 1982. It was taken with a Nikon F, some tele, and most probably Kodak TriX film. Pure newbie darkroom technique, and tons of fun!

_MG_8135.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Caribe Star​

Regards,

Ruben