• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Welcome to This New Forum!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome to the Still Photography forum. I want to thank Asher for giving this new forum a home and for supporting its purpose. Still Photo is, in its way, a descendant of two forums that I've started in the past. One, that I began a number of years ago, was actually called "Still Photo". It was formed to allow a fairly small group of photographers, many of us who were actively exhibiting and publishing, to discuss each other's work. The second ancestor was a more recent forum, on another site, called "Small Sensor Cameras". In starting that second forum, what I wanted to do was to get away from discussions that are constrained by brand boundaries and instead be able to discuss photography made by small sensor cameras, no matter what brand of camera was being used to make it.

This new Still Photo forum is intended to take the idea behind "Small Sensor Cameras" one step further. Not only is it brand agnostic, it is also format agnostic. The core of the forum will be the pictures we're making, or that we want to make, using whatever cameras and lenses might suit that purpose. In order to freely discuss photography here, I needed to throw the net that wide. So any picture, any camera, any lens, etc. can and may be discussed here.

Still Photo is also an extension of Reid Reviews, the web site that I publish. And what that means is that this forum is a place where people are welcome to discuss content that originates in articles on my site. As such, some discussions here may well be based on material that was published on RR and which is not reproduced in this forum. That said, however, anyone with a serious interest in photography is welcome to participate in Still Photo, whether or not he or she is a subscriber to the RR site.

We welcome the respectful debate of ideas here but, consistent with Asher's own expectations for all the forums on OPF, we explicitly insist that discussion here be civil. Insults, rudeness or personal attacks (direct or veiled) on *any* member here will not be tolerated.

Still Photo will be moderated by Asher Kelman, myself and Mitch Alland, a Bangkok based photographer who works primarily with small sensor cameras. I'll let Mitch introduce himself and his work further in a post below.

Some members here will be working professionals with many years of experience, while others may be novice photographers who currently have more curiosity about, than experience with, photography. All are welcome and I hope that this forum comes to be a constructive and useful place for all involved.

Cheers,

Sean Reid
http://www.reidreviews.com

Welcome! Sean, Nicolas Claris and I welcome Sean Reid and Mitch Alland as well as everyone from Reid Reviews to this exciting new home. We want you to feel this is a place where you can explore any topic related to your photography. Some of you may already know that OPF has a philosophy of no censorship and open discussion. We are not gurus. If we had a motto it would be "be nice to the others in the tour bus!" So welcome aboard.

One thing more, Nicolas, the other curators and myself are not Gurus, but but we do try to make your ride enjoyable. :)

Asher

P.S. Explore and post anywhere on the forum, it's equaly yours! We don't bang fingertips if topics wander somewhat, but try to stay on topic. We don't censor close or delete threads or ban photographers for disagreeing. However, demeaning others simply does not occur in OPF. We instead set an example of respect and it all works very well. For detailed TOS, see here. Feel free to contact a moderator if you have an issue that merits attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Reid

Looked at RR quickly. So, the idea is Reid posts an article and we discuss?

Hi,

Some discussions may come from articles on the site and many others may not. I think people may have a better sense of the forum in a few days as things get rolling.

Cheers,

Sean

John_Nevill

Welcome Sean,

Being an avid reader of your reviews over the last few months, I look forward to contributions to OPF and share Asher's and Nicolas' sentiments.

Regards

Mike Shimwell

Hi

Welcome Sean

I've enjoyed your writing on your review site and your slant on equipment being focused on making the picture. One of my favourite recent pieces was the Fisher Farm.

Anyway, I look forward to this new forum very much.

Asher and Nicolas, thanks for hosting.

Mike

Sean Reid

Welcome Sean,

Being an avid reader of your reviews over the last few months, I look forward to contributions to OPF and share Asher's and Nicolas' sentiments.

Regards

Thank you very much John. I think OPF will turn out to be just the right kind of place for this forum.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid

Welcome Sean

I've enjoyed your writing on your review site and your slant on equipment being focused on making the picture. One of my favourite recent pieces was the Fisher Farm.

Anyway, I look forward to this new forum very much.

Asher and Nicolas, thanks for hosting.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks very much. I was just talking to Asher about the Fisher Farm article. Its one of my favorites too. The next in the series will be based on the pictures the Irish chidren made in the late 1980s.

Cheers,

Sean

Tim Ashley

Sean, Thank You!

A place where we can discuss gear only in as far as it makes images, and in a way which helps us all learn what gear is most effective for whatever particular personal, creative or commercial imperatives govern our work.

An idea which is long overdue and much appreciated. I suspect it will be a new home for many of us.

'Still Photo' eh?

Hmmm. Must have one from today that fits the theme... ;=)

Best

Tim

p964404028.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi Tim,

A special welcome to you!

I love your picture to set a tone for showing what photography is about: the photograph that's delivered. We do, BTW, have all the capability for studying photon collections of sensels, color spaces or the speed of attaining focus with a canon 70-200 IS lens. Yes, we have that and much more in OPF. Here, as a welcoming place for RR, I was looking forward to have some impressive B&W images, so now I'm super happy.

I like the grand room and the paradox of the giant clock on the floor that does not function as well as the fact that no one stole the ornate chandelier nor the clock, yet the place is in ruins!

Note on the image description: Although we have no brand nor format loyalty, it's nice for people to be able to see, if one can remember, the camera, lens, aperture and if possible the title and what you might think of your photograph. However there is no law you have to give a title. Then you are saying that's my image use it and get from it what you can. That's perfectly fine too.

I think this is a fine image but paradoxical from the clock on stone floor to the persistence of an ornate chandelier and clock despite the ruin of this grand architecture.

Asher

Also make sure you add © Tim Ashley in the IPTC code. Or else consider adding that below the image. We just like people to know that images belong to you. OTOH, if Néstle of Ford takes your picture, you are made!

Sean Reid

Sean, Thank You!

A place where we can discuss gear only in as far as it makes images, and in a way which helps us all learn what gear is most effective for whatever particular personal, creative or commercial imperatives govern our work.

An idea which is long overdue and much appreciated. I suspect it will be a new home for many of us.

'Still Photo' eh?

Best

Tim

p964404028.jpg

Hi Tim!

Thank you and welcome. I'm glad to have you here. I hope this does indeed become a new home for many of us. And thanks for bringing a picture, and quite a still picture at that, into the conversation already.

You probably are well aware that I have a great deal of respect for Garry Winogrand. The longer I do this, the better I come to understand things he's said and his work itself. In the midst of someone trying to pigeon hole his work by naming the kind of photography he did, he explained that the operative term was simply "still photography". Still photography, he explained, is: "the illusion of a literal description of how a camera saw a piece of time and space".

Stillness, of course, is what sets our work apart from cinematography. So, that first forum I ran many years ago was named in honor of Winogrand and his perceptiveness about this photography thing we do. This new forum resurrects the old name because its as relevant now as ever.

As you probably know, I have a pretty broad sense of what's "on topic". If we're talking about pictures (even paintings or drawings sometimes) and about the tools that help us make them, we're certainly "on topic".

A link to one set of Tim's pictures, for those who are interested, can be found on Leica's site:http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/ (see the link set on the far right).

Cheers,

Sean

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

What a great link! Tim the Venice pictures are awesome. I do love the way you place a cat, person, pile or garbage a passer buy in a powerful part of your pictures. I am thrilled! So I won't say anything more now as we could go one for pages! Later!

Asher

Asher Kelman

And, just for variety, I certainly support photographers who, like myself, do not title their work. And sometimes its better not to know the camera, lens, aperture, etc. Sometimes we may just want to think about the picture and not about the machines that made it.

So, I also invite people to include pictures here with no titles, no comments and no technical this-n-that unless they feel that such information is needed for the discussion at hand.
Sean,

It's so great to have yet another moderator who does not agree with me! Still, a title, if is given has virtue. Titles share the photographer's frame of reference. That limits meaning to the author's intent. Some pictures, like this one here, do indeed need no title. Others simply don't have one! I prefer to look at images from the photographers values more than my own, because it can only be the photographer himself or herself who makes that image a work of art or not. Our own frame of reference, while interesting, should always be subservient. We can never never have the same feelings as the photographer, but a title, if present can at least put us somewhere, at least, on the right track.

Tim, in any case, I am so impressed with this photography. Just as a beautiful person has a name,rather than, "that wonderful guy", remembering a name is a special courtesy. However, the picture is not made competent, great or by the name. Nor is it necessary for the impact. It does serve to address the picture well.

None should feel that we need names. OTOH a name might guide us! I personally respect the photographer so much that I'll find the time to read whatever they want to disclose about a picture that is impressive. Enough said of titles!

Back to your work, Tim. I have again visited your Venice images and an still as impressed. It required 2 pints of beer to calm me down! Thanks for sharing, title or not!

Asher

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

A warm welcome

Hi Sean, All,

Firstly, let me extend a warm welcome to all of you. This is great news, it's like having a lot of new friends which one hasn't met yet (as in an old Irish saying).

Sean, your reputation is well known and I have been considering to become a subsriber to your reviews even before this. So now, I guess I have no more excuses to delay any longer.

Looking forward to be "talking" with you all here :).

Simon Lamb

Good to see this forum Sean....

I have avidly read your reviews since my early Leica days, and bought a DP1 based on your excellent review.

I look forward to being an active member here, meanwhile, some DP1 pictures:

SDIM0311bw.jpg

SDIM0405.jpg

SDIM0427.jpg

SDIM0426.jpg

Simon

Cem_Usakligil

...An idea which is long overdue and much appreciated. I suspect it will be a new home for many of us.

'Still Photo' eh?

Best

Tim
[/IMG]
Hi Tim,

What a great gift you've taken with you when coming to your new home! It is a great image which captured my attention from the moment I saw it and did not let go. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us. Also, I agree with Asher. After seeing your pictures in your gallery, I too will need some kind of sedative although 2 pints of beer is not an option since it is 11 AM here right now ;-)

Asher Kelman

Welcome Simon,

Is that 28 mm wide enough for you or do you find it too wide? Is this an extra or does it replace something else?

Although I do like the B&W too, the color in good light seems superb. Paint from the lampost might flake off on to my my PowerBook Pro! Good job!

Use the Introduce Yourself Forum to say hi to everyone here! That really helps!

Asher

Simon Lamb

Hi Asher...

I find the 28mm is fine and to have it in a pocketable camera with great image quality if great. This is an extra camera, and I still have my old Canon G4 and my DSLR is a Nikon D3 with various Nikkor lenses.

I will head over to the Introduce Yourself Forum and post there in a few minutes.

Simon

Cem_Usakligil

I have avidly read your reviews since my early Leica days, and bought a DP1 based on your excellent review.

Hi Simon,

Welcome and make yourself comfortable. Thanks for showing these great images, I myself have considered buying a DP1 in the past month but have settled on a Canon G9 instead. Maybe I should have read Sean's review before doing so (LOL).

Of those four, I particularly like the one with the window panes, very intriguing. It is as if each window pane is telling a different story to us, which we must explore.

Simon Lamb

Hi Cem....

The G9 seems to be a popular choice and a good camera. I still love the pictures I get from my trusty G4, and I used it for a lot of macros with a revered 50mm Pentax lens on it.

I think I would entitle the window picture 'Working in Boxes', as it looks like each person has their own box to occupy. As you say, each one has a story to tell.

Simon

Nolan Sinclair

Hi Sean,

I subscribed to Reid Reviews last year after becoming infatuated with the idea of a digital rangefinder when I was looking to upgrade from my D70s. At the time the plan was to wait for the Nikon D3, but after poring over most of the articles, I was convinced that an M8 might be a better fit for me.

So I sold off my Nikon kit and bought an M8, CV 35mm f/2.5 and then later on a 90mm Elmarit. The M8 and 35mm lens are almost always around my neck when I leave the house.

At the time, paying for content on the internet seemed crazy, but when I realized that a subscription would cost less than 1% of my future investment, the risk seemed well worth it. I've been meaning to send you an email thanking you, but I'll just do it here:

Thanks!

Correct Exposure and Other Myths and "Street Photography" Part One are a couple of my favorites. Like a good book, I find myself going back to them from time to time.

Anyways, I'm interested to see how Still Photo turns out.

I guess I should thank Asher, too, for letting everyone pile in with their muddy boots on.

Here's a photo I took of my wife getting tattooed last weekend:

M8 with CV 35mm f/2.5. No IR filter.

Cem_Usakligil

Come in, come in...

I guess I should thank Asher, too, for letting everyone pile in with their muddy boots on.

Hi Nolan,

Right now, just ignore the muddy boots and come inside for a nice virtual cup of warm chocolate.

The exposure on that picture is excellent, which takes it to another level. Well captured!

Sean Reid

Hi Sean, All,

Firstly, let me extend a warm welcome to all of you. This is great news, it's like having a lot of new friends which one hasn't met yet (as in an old Irish saying).

Sean, your reputation is well known and I have been considering to become a subsriber to your reviews even before this. So now, I guess I have no more excuses to delay any longer.

Looking forward to be "talking" with you all here :).

Thank you kindly Cem.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid

SDIM0427.jpg

Simon

Welcome Simon and thanks. How do you like the DP1? I'm really interested in this third picture, of your four. It took me a moment to realize that I was not looking at a large grid of pictures because each of those windows, of course, frames its own picture. But what interests me is the variation, there is almost no repetition within those little pictures, they end up being little riffs on each other.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid

Hi Sean,

I subscribed to Reid Reviews last year after becoming infatuated with the idea of a digital rangefinder when I was looking to upgrade from my D70s. At the time the plan was to wait for the Nikon D3, but after poring over most of the articles, I was convinced that an M8 might be a better fit for me.

So I sold off my Nikon kit and bought an M8, CV 35mm f/2.5 and then later on a 90mm Elmarit. The M8 and 35mm lens are almost always around my neck when I leave the house.

At the time, paying for content on the internet seemed crazy, but when I realized that a subscription would cost less than 1% of my future investment, the risk seemed well worth it. I've been meaning to send you an email thanking you, but I'll just do it here:

Thanks!

Correct Exposure and Other Myths and "Street Photography" Part One are a couple of my favorites. Like a good book, I find myself going back to them from time to time.

Anyways, I'm interested to see how Still Photo turns out.

Welcome Nolan and thanks. That picture is really well made . Interesting that you should mention the M8 and CV 35/2.5. I recently finished six weeks of photographing intensively in the southeastern USA and I did almost all of the work with that same combination.

I'm glad you like the essays, they're the heart of the site in my mind.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid

Asher asked me to invite all of you to introduce yourselves on the, appropriately named, "Introduce Yourself" forum. I also invite people to introduce themselves and their work in this thread, if desired. Also, if there's a camera or lens you are working with now (or might want to) feel free to start a thread about that. It might be interesting for example, to look at some of the work that people are doing with the DP1, how its working out in use, etc.

Cheers,

Sean

Tim Ashley

Hi Tim,

A special welcome to you!

I love your picture to set a tone for showing what photography is about: the photograph that's delivered. We do, BTW, have all the capability for studying photon collections of sensels, color spaces or the speed of attaining focus with a canon 70-200 IS lens. Yes, we have that and much more in OPF. Here, as a welcoming place for RR, I was looking forward to have some impressive B&W images, so now I'm super happy.

I like the grand room and the paradox of the giant clock on the floor that does not function as well as the fact that no one stole the ornate chandelier nor the clock, yet the place is in ruins!

Note on the image description: Although we have no brand nor format loyalty, it's nice for people to be able to see, if one can remember, the camera, lens, aperture and if possible the title and what you might think of your photograph. However there is no law you have to give a title. Then you are saying that's my image use it and get from it what you can. That's perfectly fine too.

I think this is a fine image but paradoxical from the clock on stone floor to the persistence of an ornate chandelier and clock despite the ruin of this grand architecture.

Asher

Asher, you are too too kind! I appreciate all you comments, especially the deconstruction of the shot. It is indeed supposed to have some symbolic import: did you notice that whilst the clock is not revolving, the chandelier is? It's part of a long series I'm working on. I was extremely lucky to get into that building; a four hour round trip from home and I was really just after a shot of the outside but the light was wrong so I went poking around and found a very nice man to let me in. That so never happens. I got thrown out of a junkyard last week... 'you photographers,' said the angry proprietor, 'you all think with your lenses...'

For the record, the camera was a 1DSIII with a 24-104 IS L USM lens, tripod, ISO200, F10 and three exposures at 1.3 seconds each.

It is untitled: generally I title individual shots but since this one is destined to be part of a series (called 'Lyonesse') the individual works don't get titles. Here's another one from the series... THIS TIME ON A DP1 1/250th F8 ISO 100.

Thanks again Asher, I think I'll be hanging around here a lot!

Best

Tim

p470077159-4.jpg

Tim Ashley

Hi Tim!

Thank you and welcome. I'm glad to have you here. I hope this does indeed become a new home for many of us. And thanks for bringing a picture, and quite a still picture at that, into the conversation already.

You probably are well aware that I have a great deal of respect for Garry Winogrand. The longer I do this, the better I come to understand things he's said and his work itself. In the midst of someone trying to pigeon hole his work by naming the kind of photography he did, he explained that the operative term was simply "still photography". Still photography, he explained, is: "the illusion of a literal description of how a camera saw a piece of time and space".

Stillness, of course, is what sets our work apart from cinematography. So, that first forum I ran many years ago was named in honor of Winogrand and his perceptiveness about this photography thing we do. This new forum resurrects the old name because its as relevant now as ever.

As you probably know, I have a pretty broad sense of what's "on topic". If we're talking about pictures (even paintings or drawings sometimes) and about the tools that help us make them, we're certainly "on topic".

A link to one set of Tim's pictures, for those who are interested, can be found on Leica's site:http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/ (see the link set on the far right).

Cheers,

Sean

Thank you Sean - for the comments and the promo ;-)

I am looking forward to the mix you propose. One thing I have noticed is that one makes friends in various fora, and then becomes outcast when one's gear changes and another forum beckons. I'd rather participate in a place which is interested in gear (because it does matter!) but is not divided into manufacturer or model 'rooms'. I am much more attracted to a forum in which we can discuss photographs and photography in a constructively critical manner which focuses on the image, not the camera, as the aim of the game!

Best

Tim

Tim Ashley

What a great link! Tim the Venice pictures are awesome. I do love the way you place a cat, person, pile or garbage a passer buy in a powerful part of your pictures. I am thrilled! So I won't say anything more now as we could go one for pages! Later!

Asher

Asher, I've had thousands of emails about that series of shots and yet you are the first person who has nailed a description of what I thought I was trying to do compositionally. Thank you!

Since we're here to discuss images, I'd add that the theme behind the series (I don't think I've described it before) is an exploration of masks: the historical reasons for the masks being worn, the ways in which the city of Venice and its citizens choose to reveal and conceal their identities from the tourists, the fact that even in the housing projects (themselves masked by the more famous faces of the city) there are masks to be found, albeit of a different kind, and the way in which masks and Venice itself can sometimes combine in a sinister way, to remind one of the horror movie 'Don't Look Now'.

All this is summed up in the first image of the series, 'No Photo', where the shop owner's scary dummy is using a mask to deliver a truthful message: No Photo. 'Go away you irritating tourist,' it says. 'I want you money but not you or your camera, and I can't wait til carnival is over so I can count the cash in peace!'

Best

Tim

Tim Ashley

"I do indeed Sean, and I agree. I tend not to give those details until someone asks, or unless I am posting the image to make a technical point. But when I'm in a gallery I ALWAYS get irritated that the most you get told is 'Gicleé' or somesuch when what I really want to know is, what camera/lens combo, where can I buy it, and will it make my photos as good!"

Indeed! Because if we only knew what camera, lens, F/stop and shutter speed were used to make a picture, we could do the same thing... Alas, years of camera clubs, camera ads and their like have drilled that kind of nonsense home. By the way Tim, if you'd just switch to Nikon, your pictures will be better, richer, faster and more athletic! The tonalities will make us shiver and the precision will bring out the masterpiece in every exposure.

I always chuckle when I hear the term "Gicleé". It was dreamed up around the time that Nash Editions got rolling because someone decided that saying "to spray" in French would make the process sound much fancier (hence more expensive) than just saying 'inkjet".

Let's talk about a picture's aperture if we're in the midst of discussing depth of field or something like that. Ditto for shutter speed and the like. Titles if one wants, none otherwise.

Best,

Sean

Tim Ashley

Simon

Nice shots Simon, though the one of City Thameslink made me giggle because, by pure coincidence, that is the very station I had to go to to reclaim the lost suitcase in which my DP1 had been nestling for a week, having gone AWOL at East Croydon...

Tim