• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Welcome to This New Forum!

Tim Ashley

Hi Tim,

What a great gift you've taken with you when coming to your new home! It is a great image which captured my attention from the moment I saw it and did not let go. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us. Also, I agree with Asher. After seeing your pictures in your gallery, I too will need some kind of sedative although 2 pints of beer is not an option since it is 11 AM here right now ;-)

Thank you Cem - but you must never allow the lateness of the day to restrict your intake of vital fluids!

;-)

Tim

Sean Reid

Asher, I've had thousands of emails about that series of shots and yet you are the first person who has nailed a description of what I thought I was trying to do compositionally. Thank you.
Tim

It was a perceptive comment, wasn't it? And I'll add that Asher's enthusiasm for that set, expressed in his posts so far, is actually just a fraction of the enthusiasm for them that he described to me last night.

Thanks for giving us the background and context for the series.

Cheers,

Sean

Steve Leenhouts

Hi, Joining in with some pictures.

large.jpg

96481840.jpg

These are from small sensor cameras, taken in low light, in motion moving past the scene.
Thanks,
Steve

Sean Reid

Thank you Sean - for the comments and the promo ;-)

I am looking forward to the mix you propose. One thing I have noticed is that one makes friends in various fora, and then becomes outcast when one's gear changes and another forum beckons. I'd rather participate in a place which is interested in gear (because it does matter!) but is not divided into manufacturer or model 'rooms'. I am much more attracted to a forum in which we can discuss photographs and photography in a constructively critical manner which focuses on the image, not the camera, as the aim of the game!

Best

Tim

Exactly...While we'll end up discussing plenty of cameras and lenses here, my intention is that the tail not wag the dog. So no matter what equipment one uses (and, as you say, this often changes over time) the communication among photographers, who do often become friends over the web, can continue. So I'm hoping this forum succeeds long term.

Cheers,

Sean

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This post was accidentally edited, rather than replied to, by Sean "fumble fingers" Reid who *again* accidentally hit the wrong button and didn't realize it. I'll talk with Asher to get his content back in here ASAP.

Years and years of forums must have conditioned me to to hit that first button on the left (by reflex) when replying. In a moderator interface, that button is now "edit" and I must retrain myself.

Very sorry for my clumsiness. Is it any wonder I stress ergonomics in my reviews? I obviously need all the ergonomic help I can get.

Cheers,

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

Wouter Brandsma

Like Maggie I joined this forum yesterday. I like to thank Sean for the invite. I also thank Mitch Alland for mentioning this forum to me yesterday (as I understood he will be a moderator too).

My name is Wouter Brandsma, and live in Ede, The Netherlands. I am not a professional photographer, but grew up in the studio and photography store of my grandfather. I mostly photograph landscapes, but have broaden my landscapes recently with the street as well. I use only one camera, the Ricoh GX100, and have found the limitations of a small sensor camera to be the biggest thrill.

2357872733_06b2762be2.jpg

Zijdvang - Ricoh GX100, f4.6, 1/640 sec, ISO 80, -0.3 EV

2042795769_f5d3615927.jpg

The Giants are here - Ricoh Caplio GX100, f3.8, 1/200 sec, ISO 80, -0.3 EV

2455045912_b86405db39.jpg

Untitled - Ricoh GX100, f4.1, 1/270 sec, ISO 100, -0.3 EV

2458739683_4d11a9f0df.jpg

Untitled - Ricoh GX100, f4.1, 1/1400 sec, ISO 100, -0.7 EV

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Hear, hear!

...So, there we have two different points of view. I suggest you, the forum member, do as you wish in respect to what information you do or do not include when you post pictures. You needn't agree with either one of us and a respectful discussion of different points of view is at the heart of a good forum.
Hi Sean,

I couldn't agree more :)

Cheers,

Sean Reid

Wouter wrote:

"Like Maggie I joined this forum yesterday. I like to thank Sean for the invite. I also thank Mitch Alland for mentioning this forum to me yesterday (as I understood he will be a moderator too)."

Welcome Wouter, I was hoping to see you here soon. Mitch, I understand, will be getting himself registered here soon.

At another time and in another place, you started a thread about this new work you're doing. If you want to start that again here, please feel free. I think you're really on your way based on that last picture you showed above.

Cheers,

Sean

Wouter Brandsma

Thank you Sean. I will do. I have had an excellent conversation with Mitch in the meantime, also in relationship to his writing for TOP and his projectminded work method.
I posted some extra photographs of my new work on my blog.

Shane Carter

Hi Sean...question and simply curious because you have said it does not matter...what is a small sensor camera? 35mm?

And what would a still photo be?

Here are few non-sports, non-landscape...street sort-of work? ...would something like this be what you are thinking...or is it really not defined so anything is OK.

Would one expect comments on the work once posted? To me, that kind of input from viewers would be helpful.

57490J4O9262.jpg

57490J4O9250.jpg

57490J4O9308.jpg

Welcome Maggie and dive in any time you want.

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks, Sean.

I'm putting most of my current photographic thinking into my cover letter to Ben Lifson at the moment, but when I've sorted through that, y'all will hear more from me. In the meantime, here's a photo of a subject matter that is surprisingly important to me:

I consider myself, like Garry Winogrand, a photographer of animals, with cats and humans being my most common subject. Sometimes, I think it is my mission as an artist to show that photos of cats can be more than "kitsch."

OK, as long as this is a welcoming thread, ...

I'll introduce our feline family member. Tuli was a feral kitten (note the tufted ears indicating a strain of wildcat) dropped on a grad student's doorstep by his mother, who never returned. He was bottle raised at the keyboard, but has learned to like laptops, since they blow warm air out the sides. He lost the use of his right front leg and has had it amputated, but you would not notice this easily. Right now, he is keeping an eye on our house-sitters in Jerusalem while we are away for a year.

62131051.jpg

I don't think he would put up with the treatment that Ernie received.

scott

Ray West

Hii Bart,

Thanks for commenting. B&W dogs are a pain to get a decent photo of. This, recently worked out good for me, I think. However, the tilt is not a tilt, wrt camera holding, but the edge of the grass is curved at that point, sort of thing. I also edited out a 'stand pipe and tap' in the background, and maybe I need to do a bit more to it. I was going to present it in a large gilt frame, but I thought that would be pretentious. The posture is the attitude! (I think a local farmer was spreading something at the time, to a dog, that smells nice)

Best wishes,

Ray

...and now, for no good reason except to possibly amuse people, my dog in my studio:

Since folks seem interested in this sort of stuff, I'll mention that it was made with an M8 and some Voigtländer 15mm glass. If you want to know more, click on the photo, the EXIF is accessible via the Flickr page.

Asher Kelman

New O.T. Subject moved OPF, Look and Feel

We have consolidated the discussion on how we will evolve this thread for the benefit of everyone. This topic was started by Tim Armes in Frances, with contributions to our fine new member Tim Ashley and then by continued by Cem Usakligil, The Netherlands and finally Maggie Osterberg who gave me the idea that this deserved it's own place.

In summary the discussion concerns how we will function together with an OPF way of doing things and a clear structure where one can find any subject and an apparent undisciplined approach in this gateway forum. The discussion, which is all friendly, is found here.

When something off topic occurs, we let it continue but if it dominates we move it to its correct place in OPF and that applies to every discussion in OPF. We treasure every word but we try to respect the original intent.

Here it's to be warm and welcoming. So jump in and add your thoughts. We are already interesting new work. Like all of OPF it ranges from early levels to advanced and professional. For those coming here, wander around and see what else there is. Feel free to PM me with any issue and you will get personal attention as soon as I can.

Asher :)

Tim Ashley

...and now, for no good reason except to possibly amuse people, my dog in my studio:

Since folks seem interested in this sort of stuff, I'll mention that it was made with an M8 and some Voigtländer 15mm glass. If you want to know more, click on the photo, the EXIF is accessible via the Flickr page.

Maggie,

This is an outrageously good photo. It is such a strong description of a particular relationship and personality, and a particular environment. Further, it makes those two thing accessible to people who have no immediate experience of either particularity.

Plus on a lighter level I'd like to use it as a witty greetings card...

Please print it to web with a little more real black, just for me? I crave Dmax, as printing people say.

Best

Tim

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Daisy

Here is one of my furry family members - she poses for me. The other dog I have, A tan colored Lhasa Apso (rescue), is lens shy most of the time and runs away when I point the camera in his direction.

medium.jpg

Thanks, Tim!

It prints up real nice on paper and on my monitor (YMMV) I wouldn't want it any darker or contrasty. I think you'd lose a sense of the all-encompassing light that fills my studio.

Thanks again for the kind words!!!

Asher Kelman

I'm really impressed by the photographers who have joined us. One of you Tim Ashley, got to me via his pictures and Sean kindly linked me to more of his work. This is only one sampling of the pleasure I must admit I'm getting from visiting the many new galleries I'm seeing for the first time.

Thanks for helping to make OPF an especially StillPhoto impressive with your photography. When Sean first discussed this with me, of course I was interested. Not much to think about for sure. However, the response has really met and surpassed expectations and this is just the beginning. With Tim Ashley helping us moderate this new space, I'm optimistic that the hopes for this special forum can be realized. So thanks for being here and making this a place to consider photography as visual art.

Asher

Just remember, we have no preference for any brand, imagining or imaging style. We just want to share photography that leads to or is the delivered and enjoyable image. Add shot details and title if it can guide us; that can be kind. But, please don't ever feel constrained to do so!

Lotus 72 F1, May, 2008

I love that car. D-Lux 3, ISO 100, macro.

Pictures can have so many uses. I look at this one and it makes me smile, every time.