• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: What about water?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So important!

My first sight of such a facility and it’s impressive, something we learned to do thousands of years ago and bring the water to cisterns and aqueducts for distribution!

Mastering water, was more important than mastering fire!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

How did you get access and how do they keep it clean. Is this a cistern or the actual top level of the natural underground water.

I see water cascading on the left at “9:00 o’clock”.

So that suggests it’s being pumped in!

Asher

Michael Nagel

To be more precise - the water is collected here from different places. No pumping involved as far as I am aware.

One day per year access is granted to the public, this is how I had the occasion to enter.

The well is covered by a glass dome to avoid contamination.

Tap water in Germany is continuously monitored and thoroughly controlled at least twice a day to detect contamination.

Closer look:

Michael

Michael Nagel

Well, they have to prevent siphoning back, but then it could be just gravity feeds!
In the first picture you might have observed a darker patch in the water indicating a deeper spot.
I presume that this is the place where the water flows - by gravity.

Michael