• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

White balance baloney ?

I’m having recurring problems about WB. Reviewing the initial stage, we white balance the camera. This means taking a measure of a white/grey card and compensating the camera image to make sure that the grey is represented by X:X:X i.e equal amounts of RGB. Or afterwards with a Colorchecker.

But my poor mind gets uppity when I'm taking a shot illuminated by late evening light. I don't want my grey's to be represented by xxx, they are very pinky and that's what I want passed on to the rest of the chain.

Someone put me out of my misery and explain why I take that WB measurement of my Colorchecker to 'correct' the camera capture.