• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who has ever used a Rangefinder and where is it?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Isn't it strange? To think that the rangefinder that allowed the greatest photographers to make history at low shutter speeds handheld, is an unusual possession.

I'd like to know who has even used or held a rangefinder, maybe even a Speed or Crown Graphic, Nikon, but Leica or Zeiss would be a joy!

Where are these cameras and who uses them now?

Asher

Rangefinders

I used a 4X5 Speed Graphic as the photographer for my college magazine, I loved RF, hated sheet film.

I used an original Nikon S3 RF during a vacation in the South Pacific many years ago. Unfortunately, I had to return the camera to its owner.

In those days, I shot lots of "street" and candid portraits, and I liked the speed and unobtrusiveness of a RF. These days I shoot landscape and studio stuff and the benefits of SLR are more important to me.

I have an Argus C-3 that I use for B&W film only. It keeps me in touch with my roots, but I don't use it very often.

My $0.02 worth

Don Lashier

I used a Leica rangefinder (IIIa) for many years. I finally sold it in the early 80's, probably traded it in on an accordian or sax. I also had a Rolleiflex TLR that I used for b/w, probably traded it in at the same time as the Leica.

I also used a Speed Graphic 4x5 during my high school years and some in college. Had an enlarger, did all my own developing and printing etc. Don't recall what happened to it. I still have a Durst 6x6 sitting in the garage, probably so rusted as to be unusable now. It's sitting next to my PDP-8 mag core ram computer, which still works btw.

- DL

Asher Kelman

Don, do you still have any of the negatives? It would be great to be able to scan them and get them here so people can see what photgraphy was for us!

I am going to have to hook up my SCSSI scanner and fire it up!

If you have scanned files that would be interesting.

Asher

Don Lashier

Asher Kelman said:
Don, do you still have any of the negatives? It would be great to be able to scan them and get them here so people can see what photgraphy was for us!

Yes Asher, I sure do. I've got a number of 35mm, 2 and a quarter, and 4 x 5 negs still although I've lost track of some of my favorite 4 x 5's. I've scanned a few of them and posted several here previously including this HDR Rollei self-portrait - quick scan with Epson, no special tweaking, HDR masking, or anything, slight crop. I suppose if I printed with the enlarger or futzed in PS I could get undercarriage shadow detail - it's there as is more cloud detail, but relatively unimportant imo. Scans of these old negs print beautifully with my 2200/IP although I'm anxious to try some of the digital neg techniques out there.

ps: and I had no meter whatsoever at the time, just a very well trained eye.

ND35176p.jpg

- DL

Last edited:
the slowest shutter speeds i could hold with twin eye cameras. i hd several mamiyas as the 330, you could shoot easily 1/15 with 105mm lenses. dont understand why thisconcept went so totally out of fashion, till the 80s you saw many of them,- i liked them much more than the hblad where even 1/125 is a great problem for mirror knock out beats.
i still have a m4p ( the m7 i sold together with most lenses ). the m4 has an unspectacular live somewhere in my camera chamber downstairs, together with a 2,8/90 and a 2/35....

Ross Stockwell

My $.02

As a kid, I learned photography using rangefinder cameras ...

Even though I am solidly anchored in digital now -- I continue to think back to those days. I have an M7 with 35/50/90mm lenses -- and just recently scored a Mamiya C330 on eBay.

Despite the convenience and advances of digital, I see no reason to avoid using film, especially with these cameras. My Digital SLR is obtrusive in a crowd - so when I want to be subtle I use my M7.

Don -- Your posted image is gorgeous --I am gob-smacked!- digital cameras simply can't produce an image with the aesthetic so evident in your photo.

I like it ;))

Don Lashier

Ross Stockwell said:
Don -- Your posted image is gorgeous --I am gob-smacked!- digital cameras simply can't produce an image with the aesthetic so evident in your photo.
Glad you liked it Ross. For color, I'm pretty happy with digital, in fact happier than with film. But digital just doesn't even come close to the dynamic range of b/w. The usual complaint is trying to get satisfactory inkjet prints, but I'm really happy with the prints I'm getting from neg scans, just not happy with the starting point that digital capture gives me for b/w. I had forgotten how good it was til I dug up these negs, scanned a few and printed them. I think it may be time to hit ebay or maybe just break out the one film camera I've hung on to, my Leica R4.

- DL

Asher Kelman

Rainer,

What was it about the M7 you didn't fall in love with? Electricity?

Is the viewfinder not good enough and improvement, the higher synch speed not useful to you and the AV option not relevant to your work?

Asher

Don,

What scanner do you use? Are you using Vuescan software and do you combine scans for higlights, mid-tones and shadows or can you do fine without that? Are these factors which limit the printing of your own large prints? Can you even get up to 16x20 with B&W?

Asher

Mike Funnell

I've just taken up rangefinder photography, in the last couple of months. Almost accidently I now find myself with three of them (a Konica Hexar RF, a Leica M3 and a Zorki 6). Its been interesting seeing the way rangefinders encourage me to compose differently from the way I shoot with an SLR. (Film is a pain, though. The first rule of film seems to be "whatever film is in the camera, its the wrong one for the shot you want to take".)

...Mike

Asher Kelman

Mike,

So please you got bitten by the RF bug!

Tell us about the differences between these cameras.

I heard great things about the Hexar. It came with a 1.2 50mm lens, I believe!

Could you give us a rundown of how they differ?

Also what about any sample pics?

Asher

Mike Funnell

The Hexar RF is a Leica M-mount camera of the modern (though pre-digital) world. It has motorised film loading, advance and rewind, DX encoding, aperture-priority auto-exposure (with AE lock) as well as fully manual aperture and shutter speed settings. It has a .6x magnification finder (with optical coatings on the finder glass to reduce glare). It has frame-lines for 50/75, 35/135 and 28/90 focal lengths (in those parings) automatically selected when the lens is mounted. Its a very bright and clear finder, with a distinct and sharp-edged RF patch that makes it easy to focus (although the .6 magnification means it has a shortish effective base length, which would make it harder to focus longer/faster lenses - especially close up).

Most of them were black painted aluminium bodies (with painted titanium top and bottom plates). Many came in a boxed set with a 50mm/f2 lens and a small flash unit (I have a boxed set, bought 2nd-hand from a Sydney camera shop). There was a special anniversary set with a chrome body and 50mm/f1.2 lens, but that's not what I have.

The Konica M-Hexanon lenses are well regarded, with the 50/2 and 35/2 considered by many to be equal to or better than the pre-asph Leica Summicrons. Konica's full range of lenses was: 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/2, 50/1.2, 90/2.8 and a dual-range 21-35/3.4-4 lens similar in concept to the Leica Tri-Elmar. (I have the 50/2 and the 35/2.)

Unfortunately, for such a nice camera and system, its something of an orphan because of what's happened to Konica (and subsequently Konica-Minolta) in the series of events that led to their departure from photography. While its a nice camera, I suspect that if anything goes wrong there will be very few repair options.

The camera looks like this:

A sample photo with the 35mm f2 lens (@f4)

And another sample, with the 50mm f2 lens (@f2):

The Leica M3 (which arrived last Friday) was something of an accident (I put in a low-ball bid in an e-Bay auction with no thought that I might win it). It's a very nice all-mechanical camera (not so much as a light meter) that was the first model to take the Leica bayonet mount lens. It has a large bright .91 magnification viewfinder (giving it the longest effective base length, hence most accurate focus, of any of the Leica rangefinders). Mine, at least, has a very bright clear viewfinder, a very clear RF patch and is very nice to focus. It has 50mm, 90mm and 135mm frame lines, automatically selected when the lens is mounted. Because of the high-magnification finder, lenses wider that 50mm can't really be framed without special lens attachments (with "eyes") that sit in front of the rangefinder windows.

My camera is, I think, of 1957 manufacture and has a "double stroke" film advance (later versions of the M3 had a single-stroke winder). Loading a film is quite a painful process, requiring the baseplate to be removed, the back of the camera opened, the take-up spool removed to attach the film leader, then the whole process reversed. Quite a contrast to the electrical film loading of my Hexar RF! That, and the absence of any form of light meter, are the only problems I have with the camera. (Oh, and the absence of 75mm frame-lines: I've acquired a beaten up Summilux 75/1.4 that's off being professionally cleaned and adjusted so I'll have to learn to estimate the framing as well as the exposure - but do want to take advantage of the M3's focusing accuracy.)

I haven't had a chance to photograph the camera yet, but here's a shot taken with the M3 and the M-Hexanon 50/2 over the weekend:

At the Sydney Motorcycle Show on Saturday (f2, 1/100)

(Other photos can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfunnell/ )

Thanks for asking, and I hope I haven't bored you all to tears.

...Mike

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

This is a pleasure to read!

Mike I'm a happy guy. The bikes are great. A Royal Enfield! Pretty nice.

How are your images scanned?

Asher

Mike Funnell

I often get the lab to do a low-res scan for web usage & review. I currently scan the "keepers" with a Canoscan 9950F. I'm contemplating a dedicated film scanner, but haven't made any decisions.

...Mike

Mike Funnell

I've used the software that came with the scanner, which is fine for BW but gives at-best indifferent colour results. I've been using a trial version of Silverfast with better success. I may just go ahead and buy it, or may try Valuescan (or may even make up my mind about a dedicated scanner, though I doubt it). Any suggestions on this would be gratefully received, BTW.

...Mike

Christen Hansen

Canon VT de Luxe

In 1955 I bought a Canon RF VT de Luxe. The VT stood for a winding trigger in the bottom plate. Leica also had such one. The lens was a Canon 50/1.8. I used it much together with a Rolleiflex Twin Lens until 1959 when I got a M3 Leica.
The winding trigger in the bottom was a good help in sports photography. But one could have a busy time with winding, focusing and exposing. In those years everything was manual.
It was a good camera but the winding trigger had to be handeled with care.

Christen Hansen

Asher
The winding lever looked a little dangerous when unfolded, because of its sharp end. But when you loaded the camera you must be sure that the filmtongue was properly engaged. I had the most terrible experience at a soccergame back in 1957.
Christen

Don Lashier

Christen Hansen said:
But when you loaded the camera you must be sure that the filmtongue was properly engaged. I had the most terrible experience at a soccergame back in 1957.
I had the same experience early on with my Leica bottom loader - after about 40 shots you begin to wonder. Once was enough to teach me to watch that the rewind knob was turning. In fact I decided to not try and squeeze 37 or 38 shots but to wind one while the bottom was still off. I also learned to slip a piece of thin cardstock in to keep the film from catching on the shutter frame while loading.

- DL

M2 is right beside me now.

RIMG3083small.jpg

I bought it around 1970 used (it was made in 1960 in Canada) and used it for about 10 years. Camera, four lenses, light meter (remember those?), windup selftimer, and half a dozen rolls of hand-wound Tri-X fit in a war surplus gas mask bag. That's a Canon rangefinder 19mm and its viewer mounted. I've sent to cameraleather for a new cover, since the vulcanite remaining can be flicked off in a few minutes. And ran a few test rolls C41 processing, results scanned in the camera store at 1.5 MP to see if everything is working.

It wasn't. The M2's second curtain sticks unpredictably to the first curtain at medium and low shutter speeds, leaving some of the right hand side of the image black on some shots.

I'll see what I can do with two of the shots that I have so far, and post below. Hold on...

first a collapsible Summicron 50/2.0 at maybe 1/30 and f/4.0 (no EXIF, have to guess...)
summicron_test.jpg

for that "found in the attic" flavor. See the shutter problem at the right? Isn't the shadow detail great, given the backlight in this picture. The sepia color is just the store scanner's attempt to understand the orange background that comes with C41, but I kinda like it.

And then a nearby all-concrete and steel home construction site, with a new Nokton 50/1.5, probably at f/8:
Nokton_test.jpg

I also had a Rolleicord, for group pictures. It made even the little faces in the second row come out great. Gone now, along with some Nikon F1's and FTN's. All this stuff was purchased used, on the principle of sell some pictures, buy a lens... Then the day job got interesting. When I opened the gas mask bag recently, I found several rolls of Ektachrome expired 1996, which I am dying to try out.

scott

Don Lashier said:
I had the same experience early on with my Leica bottom loader - after about 40 shots you begin to wonder. Once was enough to teach me to watch that the rewind knob was turning. In fact I decided to not try and squeeze 37 or 38 shots but to wind one while the bottom was still off. I also learned to slip a piece of thin cardstock in to keep the film from catching on the shutter frame while loading.

- DL

me too. I learned the hard way to watch the rewind knob. But at least with the M2, you didn't have to remove the takeup spool, or at least I don't bother to. While we're in this subject, there is a great Bill Pierce article that I saw recently about rewind cranks that were custom made for the M2 and M3 before the M4 solved the problem. I think you can find it on the Dirck Halstead Digital Journalist monthly mag site, where Pierce has a column called Nuts and Bolts.

scott

Don Lashier

scott kirkpatrick said:
While we're in this subject, there is a great Bill Pierce article that I saw recently about rewind cranks that were custom made for the M2 and M3 before the M4 solved the problem. I think you can find it on the Dirck Halstead Digital Journalist monthly mag site, where Pierce has a column called Nuts and Bolts.
Well mine, being a III, didn't even have a winding lever let alone a rewind crank. Never knew what I was missing til I got my first SLR (Canon FT).

I also forgot once or twice to reset the frame counter after loading film. Fortunately iirc it wasn't too far off as it wrapped at 40 and just kept going around.

- DL

Asher Kelman

Scott,

Your M2 pictures came out well. I like the effect. The file does well in PS and would make a nice print. I love that family!

Everyone deserves a hug!

Now where is the distinguishing "Leica Look"?

Asher

Scott B. Hughes

Don, I'm also curious as to how you are scanning your film. Sorry if I missed this info elsewhere.

Mahalo. -Scott

Don Lashier said:
good it was til I dug up these negs, scanned a few and printed them. I think it may be time to hit ebay or maybe just break out the one film camera I've hung on to, my Leica R4.

- DL

Scott B. Hughes

Asher Kelman said:
even used or held a rangefinder, maybe even a Speed or Crown Graphic, Nikon, but Leica or Zeiss would be a joy!

My second 'serious' camera was a Balda 'Baldina'. 50/2.8, 35mm German made... mid 50s, I imagine. It's around here somewhere.... I graduated from the Blada to SLRs with the OM system in 1977.

Some time later, I remarked to Arthur Kramer, in the old CIS PhotoForum, that I had realized that I am a 35mm shooter. I possessed and used RBs, Mamiya and Bronica 645s and Hasselblads and 4x5 cameras.

I still feel most comfortable with a 35mm SLR system.

Don Lashier

Scott B. Hughes said:
Don, I'm also curious as to how you are scanning your film. Sorry if I missed this info elsewhere.
Scott, the b/w's I've posted here were scanned with an Epson Perfection 2450 flatbed. It has since died for color but oddly still works fine for b/w. With more recent fb scanners I don't find much difference between the highend and lowend so just buy the lowend and treat them as disposable. I currently have a Canoscan but unfortunately it won't handle 2-1/4 or 4x5 so I still pull out the Epson for that.

- DL

Don Lashier

On another note, at one time I had a really small German 1/2 frame 127 camera (don't remember the name) with collapsible (iirc) Zeiss lens and Schneider shutter. It did half frame by having two "counter" windows in the back so you wind til "1" showed in the first window, shoot, then wind til "1" showed in the second window etc. It made a great backpacking camera. Unfortunately KC was not available in 127 so if I wanted to shoot color I had to use Agfachrome which was really quite horrible at the time. Also the processing labs had not proper sized mounts so I had to buy the mounts separately and mount them myself. The size was actually slightly larger than 35mm. Also iirc it didn't actually have a rangefinder so you simply set the focus by the markings on the lens.

- DL

Scott B. Hughes

Don, does the 2450 produce scans that print well?

The last scanner I had was a Polaroid, c1995 and a Nikon LS-10(?) prior. The scans were for screen use only, but now would like to do some print work. Mostly negative stock, sizes range from 35mm, 6x6, 6x7 to 4x5.

Thanks for the input. -Scott

Kevin Bjorke

I had an M5 loooong ago. Couldn't afford lenses, sold it.

Since then I've had a few Canon G-III QL's

A Canon IIIc LTM camera (more as a novelty, imo)

A Bronica RF645

and a Contax G2

still have em all but the M5, though I mostly shoot digi now