• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who likes the new style, “OPF Dark”

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I am dark enough!!
But whatever rocks one's boat!

Excellent updated and modern looking site. To Nicolas, yourself and all ( those who just worked, waited and/or prayed )..well done!!

Good luck and good OPFing.

p.s The forum ' Pet's Corner '..is something missing in the description?
Thank you Fahim!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Doug, Jerome and Nicolas et al

Examining the two side by side gives me two impressions:

1. Next to the golden Sienna colors of the OPF banner, buttons and bars, the actually pure neutral blacks and greys seem, on my iPhone 6+ At least, to be fused with dark chocolate,(with a tad of green-mint perhaps. At least that’s my perception! In my color-calibrated Eizo monitor, however, blacks are pure to the eye.

Sometimes, even on the Eizo 21” monitor, in narrow areas next to the Sienna banners or text I might be fooled that perhaps there is a very sparse contamination with brown. But I am not certain of this possibility as mostly blacks appear clean and pure.

So this could either be a perception issue on a small screen or else, perhaps the Apple iPhone is not representing colors as well as one would expect.

Well this has been measured here and in bright areas of the gamut, only in the red-magenta area of the gamut do iphones appear to start deviate from reference colors to 3 “perception units”. They do not show data for colors centered on black. This could have the larger perceived differences, (that I have become convinced of), with pure blacks on the iPhone 6+. If I find any definitive data I will update this comment!

Such differences, real or perceived, could have significance in any desire to edit photos on line with an iPhone and likely other mobiles!

2. The brightness of the text in the original “Dark” style provides strong and even extreme contrast, while in the “OPF Dark” style, the text is far less bright and so, as Doug points out, the text, while beautiful and restful, might not have optimal contrast for everyone’s taste and needs.

However, I believe this “OPF Dark” style is close to fabulous! But can we do better with it as one of the choices derived from all Nicolas’ huge design effort which got us going!

So examine these styles and look at other sources and let me know if we should try to develop a version of “OPF Dark” style with somewhat brighter text?

Asher
Text not bright enough…

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I had not paid much attention to the "Dark" style. Indeed on it the text is white at not quite maximum luminance. And yet an overall look at a page makes me score it as "less beautiful".

This is often the dilemma faced by graphic designers, as they try and balance "beauty" with "usability". The two are certainly not usually incompatible, but are often at least antagonistic. (There are fabulous stories about the design agonies of several classical telephone sets!)

I am confident that the design team can find a design that gives us both to a high degree.

And of course, in the meantime, if I really want to read a lot of stuff I can readily switch to "Original OPF". I am grateful for the very accessible style chooser, and even the clever shortcuts, "Lights out" and "Lights on".

Best regards,

Doug

Robert Watcher

Hi, Asher,

I had not paid much attention to the "Dark" style. Indeed on it the text is white at not quite maximum luminance. And yet an overall look at a page makes me score it as "less beautiful".

This is often the dilemma faced by graphic designers, as they try and balance "beauty" with "usability". The two are certainly not usually incompatible, but are often at least antagonistic. (There are fabulous stories about the design agonies of several classical telephone sets!)

I am confident that the design team can find a design that gives us both to a high degree.

And of course, in the meantime, if I really want to read a lot of stuff I can readily switch to "Original OPF". I am grateful for the very accessible style chooser, and even the clever shortcuts, "Lights out" and "Lights on".

Best regards,

Doug

I didn’t notice the lights on / lights out. Very convenient as I use both styles - mostly the original theme - sometimes I prefer the dark experience. That switch at bottom of page makes it so effortless to change out based on how I am feeling. (y)

BTW - the new dark theme is Not Chocolate colour on my iPad or iPhone. It is nice blacks and dark greys - with the opf tan/gold menu, logo, links, bars and buttons. Very pleasing to the eye.

———-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert, Doug, Jerome, Antonio, Nicolas, Winston, Fahim et al,

I am thrilled that this “style choice” simply “works”

Asher

Asher Kelman

1. Any preference in brightness of text
  2. Any preference in brightness of text
  3. Any preference in brightness of text
  4. Any preference in brightness of text
  5. Any preference in brightness of text
Any that you like “Best for reading AND comfort”?

Asher

Doug Kerr

With the "Original OPF" style in effect., I prefer number 5.

With the "Dark OPF" style in effect, I prefer number 3. But number 2 is also good, and perhaps a bit nearer "beautiful".

In my rating, readability prevails over "beauty".

Certainly the font color would be particularized to each style.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

? It might be that even 4 would seem very readable if the was an entire paragraph and the others were not there!!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
It might be that even 4 would seem very readable if the was an entire paragraph and the others were not there!!

I assume you speak in terms of the "Dark OPF" style being in effect.

I agree. But please keep in mind the fact that the text is not the art. The decision here shouldn't be based on "the least brightness that is legible"

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

We are already far above that in the least bright of the new choices.

Yes, and my wording was not apt.

I guess what I really mean is, "OK" shouldn't be our target.

In any case, the final decision won't have any effect on my work, so don't let me be an albatross.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

Our eyes adjust to brightness too easily without us sometimes noticing. I much prefer the dark background and the gold headers are a nice touch to this new format. Indeed an enjoyable experience! I like to keep my monitor brightness at about 11 or 12 for optimum viewing pleasure.

Asher Kelman

I didn’t know there was an option.
I had a look, couldn’t read it, switched back.
It could be your screen is not set bright enough, as physiologically you should find the dark bg easier to read.

This is why most major software MFR, like Adobe, have standardized on a default dark b.g.

Antonio Correia campaigned long and hard for this choice. I love it, but Nicolas prefers his original!

Each his/her own, (depending also on gender self assignment pronoun preferences)!

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It could be your screen is not set bright enough, as physiologically you should find the dark bg easier to read.

This is why most major software MFR, like Adobe, have standardized on a default dark b.g.

Antonio Correia campaigned long and hard for this choice. I love it, but Nicolas prefers his original!

Each his/her own, (depending also on gender self assignment pronoun preferences)!

that’s on the assumption that we all see in the same way.
Knowing we don’t requires manufacturers to include accessibility functions so people can ajust their screen to suit their own vision.
Part of that adjustment might require adjustments in hue, contrast, colour combinations, background brightness, text size, text shape, text spacing.
Accessibility for all is the key, not one suits all.

“physiologically you should“ doesn’t compute. It tells me if I don’t fit I’m weird and you’re not going to make any allowances.
Good thing I can control it from my end.

Asher Kelman

Of course you can control it by your preference. That is why we have the options for you. You are not expected to conform to other folks preferences. Nevertheless, a lot of folk find the dark version restful for their eyes and a great bg for images too.

Honestly Tom, we aim to cater for your presentation preference. So if you mock up a page or refer to some other site with a design that is more pleasant or comfortable for your experience, we will endeavor to reproduce that style an additional option for everyone.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Of course you can control it by your preference. That is why we have the options for you. You are not expected to conform to other folks preferences. Nevertheless, a lot of folk find the dark version restful for their eyes and a great bg for images too.

Honestly Tom, we aim to cater for your presentation preference. So if you mock up a page or refer to some other site with a design that is more pleasant or comfortable for your experience, we will endeavor to reproduce that style an additional option for everyone.

Asher
Its not a matter of preference in the aesthetic sense, Ash, its to do with visual differences related to impairment. Just because "a lot of folk" like it doesn't make it "should" as you put it.
My choice is because of necessity. About 10% of the population have some sort of visual issue that cannot be corrected using the usual corrective methods. These people will need to make adjustments by other means.
For anyone to assume one size "should' fit all, or even close is not accommodating and is exclusive.
I'm not criticising your preference for one or the other. I'm reminding you, as if you need to be reminded, that a choice might be from necessity.

Jerome Marot

I routinely check "cookies" on my browser. It came out that OPF sets its own cookie (that is not a problem), but also let the following two domains set their own cookie:
googletagmanager.com
google-analytics.com

To comply with the GDPR, OPF should inform their users about these cookies and let them opt-out.

As to myself, I decided to block the two domains directly at the router. Time will tell whether there are ill effects.

Asher Kelman

I routinely check "cookies" on my browser. It came out that OPF sets its own cookie (that is not a problem), but also let the following two domains set their own cookie:
googletagmanager.com
google-analytics.com

To comply with the GDPR, OPF should inform their users about these cookies and let them opt-out.

As to myself, I decided to block the two domains directly at the router. Time will tell whether there are ill effects.
You have a point there, Jérôme! I will make a note to disclose that.

🙏

Asher