• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why the quality of a Leica lens is better

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Guys,

There seems to be some brittleness going on here but I have not spent enough time to understand the conversation. I'm not sure how this thread seemingly curved off the path.

It's late and I need to sleep....so excuse me for closing it until I have read it through.

Asher

Asher Kelman

So now, after a breather this thread is open once more. :)

There will be differences, but remember we all have alternative interpretations of the connotations of words. There will be misunderstandings!

Asher

fahim mohammed

i-778GKpB-X2.jpg
i-RGW8BJw-X2.jpg

I was asking myself if I was looking at both pictures and I couldn't see the slight difference. But was this difference - if glimpsed - a result of the lens or of my own eyes ?

Antonio, I am showing the two images you posted. And a part of another of your posts.

Man, if you cannot see the more than slight difference in the above two images, honestly you have more to worry about than wondering why one lens is better than the other. Leica or Olympus or whatever.

fahim mohammed

About the quotation of Wilde. When I was today walking to have a coffee at the cafeteria, I was thinking that the context of the quote was missing as - I assume - Wilde wouldn't be - perhaps - so selfish as not to want the good for other citizens. I hope to make myself understand.

Here is the context as supplied by Robert ( I am just copying and pasting )..

"
As for your use of the Oscar Wilde quote, maybe some context:

The author Edgar Saltus was a friend of Oscar Wilde, and in 1917 he released a short volume titled “Oscar Wilde: An Idler’s Impression” which included the following dialog between Saltus and Wilde:

Come to my shop,” I said, “and have dinner with me. Though,” I added, “I don’t know what I can give you.”
“Oh, anything,” Wilde replied. “Anything, no matter what. I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”

"

Antonio, words have consequences. Specially when discussing Oscar Wilde. One must read the words carefully. Deliberately.

What Robert has supplied is a part of a much bigger context that Robert refers to as " some context ".

On your way to the cafeteria did you wonder why Saltus asked Oscar to " Come to my shop.."?

Did you spare a minute to ponder, why Saltus invited oscar to "..have dinner with me. "?

Why do you think Saltus then continues with " Though, " I added, " I don't know what I can give you."?

One needs to have much more of a context than Robert provided in his post to answer such questions.
Maybe you and Robert can get together to get to know Oscar Wilde a little more intimately.

That might answer some of the questions I have asked of you. And it might also shed light on the part of your sentence..namely " as - I assume - Wilde wouldn't be - perhaps - so selfish as not to want the good for other citizens. ".

You see my friend, neither Oscar Wilde nor Lens MTFs can be dismissed so easily, if one has to seriously answer questions objectively.

Antonio Correia

Fahim, when I posted these images I was not sure about their differences. Really, honestly.
In fact, I can hardly see any difference between them.

I do have other photographs with this lens but I would not like to publicly show them. They are all of my great son ...

Teach me how to distinguish one photograph from the other will you please ?

I am two days away from buying an Oly. I mean... I was ! :)

The choice of the lens is very important now that I will be slowly moving to 4/3 .

Asher Kelman

Rest assured my friend, that companions and/or husbands of young pretty women are mostly of the criminal variety.

Not here! These are gentlemen! The ladies I admire and photograph are often delivered by their man! The women of criminals? Oh my goodness, that sounds really scary!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Antonio.

Cameras and lenses of today spoil us with choices. Sincerely, having used quite a few different brands, there is very little to choose between them.

Olympus cameras and lenses are superb instruments. You cannot go wrong by them.

Choosing a camera and lens system should be approached after having carefully considered your photographic requirements. And then your budget.

Having seen your excellent work here, really you cannot go wrong with the Olympus system. Remember that being a mFT system you shall loose some DOF selectivity as compared to the 35mm FF system.
But that does not matter if your interests require smaller ( f/6.3,8,11 etc. ) apertures.

Although I have not used the Oly system personally, people whose work I respect here and abroad are more than happy with their Oly systems.

Your lens choices, as with your cam choice, should be based on what you want to photograph. Is it landscapes, portraits, street, architecture etc. Will you be using the cam in low light ( requiring faster lenses at a higher cost ) or can you make do with a slower lens ( and a tripod/flash ).

Oly lenses can get quite expensive. So choose carefully. Is there a return policy on the lenses? Can you return one after say a week or a month for a full refund? This could help you test and keep the one/s you like.

How about renting a lens, to check it out before buying.

I can say with 98% certainty that the images you make depend on your vision, skill and mastery of the tools you own.

You have to have very good quality prints made in a large size, minimum A3/A2, to actually start noticing
lens differences ( maybe even bigger prints ). The distance from which you view the prints etc. All this
impacts on how an image is perceived.

Doubt leads to failure. Do your studies thoroughly, and then go for it. Unless you are very very unlucky to land a dud lens...don't worry too much.

Open the box and follow your dreams.

I wish you all the best; and shall be more than happy to give any help I can on your way to success.

Kindest regards.

p.s. don't be guided by brand names. But by performance. Oly and Pana both make super lenses.

Fahim, when I posted these images I was not sure about their differences. Really, honestly.
In fact, I can hardly see any difference between them.

I do have other photographs with this lens but I would not like to publicly show them. They are all of my great son ...

Teach me how to distinguish one photograph from the other will you please ?

I am two days away from buying an Oly. I mean... I was ! :)

The choice of the lens is very important now that I will be slowly moving to 4/3 .

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

Have you actually purchased the Olympus yet?

If not I'd argue for the A7R, but I like to use old lenses and make large prints.

Also, I do not usually take pictures of either sports or wild animals. However I rent for those occasions.

The A7II should be considered the big brother to the Olympus, but on steroids! It has all the benefits of the Old y mirrorless but the enlarge tad will go easier.

But anyone who has the new Olympus or one from the last several years can shoot any job - just need to adapt.

No doubt it is a smaller system and that counts!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi Robert.

Like I posted before, in response to Antonio, words have to be read seriously and deliberately. If for no other reason but as a courtesy to the writer.

I shall concentrate on three of your posts in this thread. Namely your posts #20, #22, #29.

I shall take from your last post, post #29, one or two sentences to write an intial preamble to my responses. Your original post #40 was edited ( you know that, of course ) so I shall omit that one.

"I think I have said my 1,000 words for the year. " is what you posted.

Such issues ( not withstanding the LOL at the end ), seemingly trivial, enable me to better understand a writer's use of words, what they might mean, the writer's opinion, assumptions, presumptions, whether what the writer "thinks" is/might be accurate or otherwise. Such insignificant issues allow me ( rightly or wrongly ) to approach the writer's text with various degrees of understanding, care, derision,mindset and , of course, the requisite level of attention to detail; as required.

I ran your 3 posts ( #20, #22, #29 ) through a word count program. I am a nerd, a stickler for such things.
There are many things that cannot be left to simple ' thinking '. They have to be subjected to empirical and objective analysis.

Guess how many words you actually wrote in these 3 posts?

So what should I make of the rest of your words in these posts?
More importantly, how should I read and approach your posts, taken as a whole. A ' LOL '? A humorous
writer just having ' fun '.?

But in this preamble, let's address another few words you wrote in this post ( #29 ):

" I love your passion Fahim. "

Robert, I have many passions that I am passionate about. Women, too, being one amongst the many.

So my friend, which of my passions are you refering to. Should I make an assumption? A presumption?
What if I make the incorrect assumption? Would it be acceptable if I based my responses on just vague assumptions?

Yes Robert, words are significant. I treat them with the utmost of care. Even if written in jest.

Best regards.

fahim mohammed

Hello Robert.

I have bold faced my response to your post #29. Your post is in quotation marks.

" Fahim I have no beef with you. I was just having some fun writing some words today.

As far as MTF charts or any other statistical data - - - that matters to some people and others could care less as they have nothing to do with their creative process."

But we are not discussing the " creative " process in this thread.
Are we Robert ?

" I've stated it before and I will state it again. One of the most creative photographers that I have known, shot with a Minolta camera and a cheap Kiron zoom attached - on the front of the lens was a cheap UV filter that always had dust and smudges all over it. I loved looking at prints of his photos. "

You loved looking at prints of his photos with a cheap UV filter that always had dust and smudges all over it? !!
Wow. There's art for you!! And an art lover, for sure.

" He was a true artist - photographer and also an impressive painter with some works hanging in art galleries (unfortunately he died at a very young age) "

" I'm not saying that a crappy lens works for everyone - but the fact that award winning and salable images can be produced with lenses that are far less than stellar, throws the charts and technical stats out the window. "

No Robert, it does not do anything of that kind. The ' charts and technical stats ' are what they are. Objective measurements. They stand on their own, serving their purpose of empirical and objective analysis ( when produced accurately and appropriately, and verified independently by multiple reputable entities specialized in such measurements, data collection and analysis ).

" It only matters to those who love numbers and statistics more than real shooting."

It also matters to those that seek objectivity ( using measurable and quantifiable parameters agreed upon for such determinations ) in determining lens performance.

And what makes you assume that persons to whom lens MTF charts matter are not ' real ' shooters?

" Can you shoot good images with the best lenses or with Leica lenses? Of course you can.

I think I have said my 1,000 words for the year. LOL I love your passion Fahim. "

Take care.

Asher Kelman

Let me state the following. I pick on one photographer simply because his lenses are essential to the outcome.

Please look through the recent pictures posted by Klaus using antique but stellar lenses. The art produced, of course depends much on his eye for finding the light and embedding his flowers in a background that equals the flower in importance to the success of the picture. Still, the esthetics of the final result could not likely be achieved with lesser lenses. This level of art has both the imagination, originality that we seek to save for generations, as well as a technical mastery for which the lens if an essential and hardly replaceable part.

One cannot repeat his work with lesser lenses. So if one wishes to operate at that exceptional level, ordinary lenses might not cut it. So while it seems self evident that it's the artist that makes art, the tools provide a viewing window that present all the hoped for ideas in a perfect fashion.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi there Robert.

No further comments from me.

I enjoy the excellent work you post and your commentary that accompanies it.
I do not look for the ' brand ' of tools used to make an image. Not my style of appreciating anyone's work.

But please do not ascribe to me that which I have not posted. That is surely unfair.

I wish you and yours well in all your endeavors.

Thank you, and the OPF viewers, for bearing with me.

Antonio Correia

Thank you Fahim, Robert and Asher for the written lines.

At this point I am still hesitating about which lens but I think I will go for the zoom. If I moved to mFT is because the system is smaller and lighter.

I will keep my Canon equipment for the time being for more "serious" photographs.

Perhaps one day I will be able to able the A7 with the Leica lens... Refurbished perhaps.

Regards and thank you again ! :)

Asher Kelman

Thank you Fahim, Robert and Asher for the written lines.

At this point I am still hesitating about which lens but I think I will go for the zoom. If I moved to mFT is because the system is smaller and lighter.

I will keep my Canon equipment for the time being for more "serious" photographs.

Perhaps one day I will be able to able the A7 with the Leica lens... Refurbished perhaps.

Regards and thank you again ! :)

I would argue for the A7II or the A7R as these can take any lens you throw at them. I currently use Canon lenses with AF, slow but quite respectable with the Canon 501.2L and the 100mm Macro II or the 70-200 2.8L IS II< with or without a 2.0 X telextender.

I also use Pentax lenses and old German Zeiss Jena as well as Zeiss West German lenses.

Since used lenses can be had at bargain prices and then hold their value, the so lightweight A7 series of cameras are really worthy of consideration.

The A7II has 5 way image stabilization for any Leica, Pentax or any other lens you throw at it!

MF is a delight with the huge magnified image.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher. I will take your point in consideration.

As you perhaps will remember I have L lenses from Canon and a 7 - whichever it may be - is a way to keep them instead of spending lots of money in new ones.

:)

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher. I will take your point in consideration.

As you perhaps will remember I have L lenses from Canon and a 7 - whichever it may be - is a way to keep them instead of spending lots of money in new ones.

Call rental houses. There must be one near you that bought too many as most photographers rent Canon or Nikon! No press photographer got fired for sporting either one!

To use the A7, one just has to aim in the right direction. for the A7R one has to have something to do with all those pixels and with the A7S one can take pictures when folks can't even see what's there to photograph!

If a new A7RII comes out I'll sell this one in one hollywood moment!

Asher

Antonio Correia

My dear Asher. This country in not USA. Obvious I know. LOL

Here we can't rent photographic equipment as easily as you can. There are of course some shops who do it. I will make some contacts tomorrow as it is now 22 PM

I could be a candidate to your actual 7. We are 9.000 kms away. Too far.

Thank you again. :)

fahim mohammed

Antonio, ask 10 people about cameras/lenses. You might get 10 different answers. All of answers could be right. In the end, consider all the advice given; handle the equipment, which one suits you personally, your budget, sales/service.

Don't be pressured by sales and marketing personnel. You, and only you have to be satisfied with the tool/s you shall use to create your images.

Lenses...same process. What will be your major photographic subjects? Choose the fl that will give you the most bang for the buck.

The sensor/film is the canvas. The lenses are your brushes.

Cameras are introduced very frequently nowadays. Lenses last much longer. I personally spend more time choosing a brush, than a canvas.

p231651266-6.jpg

Just my opinion. and opinions are just that. Opinions.

Best of luck.

Antonio Correia

My dear Fahim ! ...
You know what ?
Today I have been looking at a Leica. Then, I asked the attendant to hold her - I mean it, the camera LOL - and I hood it - for a few minutes - in my hands.

Now, I will try to read some lines about all the series they produce to understand the M, S, T, X .

I do need to see images from these cameras. I know here, one person who has a Leica. I will ask him if we can meet for a small shoot.

Thank you Fahim for your lines :)

There is always the furbished market ...
I like this one. Just for the look LOL

fahim mohammed

Hi Antonio.

Looks good, no? The lens in that photo is over $10,000.00
I think it was made just to prove ' we can do it '.

Mind you, I am told it is a super lens...bloody well better be:)

Let me play the devil's advocate here. Technically, most cameras in the 35mm arena are superior to the Leica. Then latest Leica 240 is already a couple of years old. The ' S ' series is MF. That and it's lenses have a eye watering price.

The Leica X...fixed lens! APS-C format. I would rather buy the Sony FF.

The ' T ', well lets just say..look elsewhere for a much better price/performance ratio.

The ' M ' system. Rangefinder. Mechanical. A dinosaur in an electronic age of AF. The price cannot be justified on a price/performance ratio. The lenses..indeed there exists a thriving market for used Leica lenses. But new M system lenses are just too expensive.

The Leica MM. MONOCHROM. Test one and form your own opinion.

But the Leica M is unique. It is the only one. So buyers can be charged high prices.

Leica stores, nowadays, co-exist next to Gucci, LV etc. Ask Asher, about the Beverly Hills Leica store.
It is being marketed and priced as a luxury item. Good for Leica, maybe. Not so good for most
Leica users that really have purchased one after years of hard work and saving their money to own one.

Yes, they make excellent lenses. But are they that much better? Are the cameras worth that much amount of money? Only the buyer can answer that question.

Don't fall for nostalgic marketing hype. They are better and cheaper choices available.

Antonio Correia

Thank you Fahim ! :)

At home, I have a Leica for one day. A humble D Lux 6 which I will use in the morning.

The owner has this camera and hardly know how to use it.

BEAUTIFULLY-SIMPLE-LANDSCAPE_teaser-480x320.png

Asher Kelman

Antonio Correia;159315 Today I have been looking at a Leica. Then said:

Antonio,

It's the lens here that's distinguished and will hold its value for the next 20 years. The body, however is pretty disposable. In 3 years time it will be dated. Put this lens on an A7II and you now have the beast vibration stabilized and the image arriving at, likely as not, one of the most well made high dynamic range sensors one can buy.

Or, take advantage of the high MTF of the lens and use it on the higher resolution A7R and enjoy wonderful pictures that can be printed very large, a fashion that folk will pay for.

The next point is that one can use the superb but less well know lenses with amazingly fabulous Bokeh, any of those in Klaus' thread on "Spring" shooting. Some are just a $150 on Ebay and others much more but for a fraction of the price of the Leica one can have lenses of amazing quality, as long as one can buy a mount for that lens. Well it so happens that I have obtained a number of the lenses Klaus has showcased and mounted them with readily obtainable adapters as a lot of them have standard Pentax other common mounts.

There are of course, fabulous lenses that need a machinist to adapt, but then that could cost $400 to $2,000 but your lens will hold its value for ever.

As it is, I commonly use the following on my A7R

• Contax Distagon f4.0 18mm
  • Canon FD 21mm A Stellar performer
  • *Canon 24mm T/S
  • **Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L
  • Sony 35mm 1.8 lost!
  • 55mm Zeiss made for Sony 1.8 magic lens
  • Many German, 50mm or so, Aus Jena lens for beautiful macro work
  • Pentax 135mm superb lens
  • **Canon 50mm 1.2L hardly ever as the Zeiss 55 mm is so perfect!
  • **Canon 100mm Macro
  • **Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II with 1.4X or 2X Canon tel-extender
* electronic data transmission to the Sony Camera
**AF and Image Stabilization too

Here's the deal, the lens writes, the sensor reads and the software interprets. While I'd love the Leica, if I took that step, I'd be getting the S3 MF camera instead. :)

Asher

fahim mohammed

Yes Asher, it is an excellent cam. And your enthusiasm for it is to be taken seriously.

But for me, it has one major drawback....

No RF:)

Antonio Correia

Thank you again Asher and Fahim ! :)

The infos provided by Asher regarding the use of Canon lenses on A7R are useful and important !
i-MzcLw68-X2.jpg

Thank you again Asher and Fahim ! :)

The infos provided by Asher regarding the use of Canon lenses on A7R are useful and important !
i-MzcLw68-X2.jpg

Antonio,
Such a pretty flower.
Anemones are some of my very favorite flowers... so beautiful with long elegant stems! I call them Wind Flowers as they bend so beautifully when the wind blows.

Maggie