• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wild Things

Robert Watcher

While trekking around a huge volcano crater, we came across WILD RASPBERRIES (mild flavour and bitter) - as well as WILD IRIS (FAIRY IRIS). The iris’ looked withered on the broad leaves, but I loved the colour and symmetry. I don’t believe they were dead or late in a season. It may have been the time of day, the atmospheric conditions, or the volcanic conditions - but all were exactly the same. I shot these with my kit lenses.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The berries are fascinating but how do you know they are not cultivars spread by birds?

The irises are simply breathtaking.

Nature is such a great artist!

Asher

Asher Kelman

-a simple motif but powerful. It’s a gift, an offering,

“Give Us this day, our daily bread!”

Ashet

Robert Watcher

The berries are fascinating but how do you know they are not cultivars spread by birds?

The irises are simply breathtaking.

Nature is such a great artist!

Asher

They were sold by the locals around the rim of the volcano, as wild raspberries (very cheap). The taste was quite distinct from any raspberries we eat. Other than that - I have no idea what they are.

——

Asher Kelman

Hardly seems “withered”!

Now here, just to show my grandkids what grows by a volcano, I’d really want to steal some plants!

If they stay in the country, I guess that not against the law?

Bringing them here, into the USA might be frowned apon!

.....or do we have them already.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Wild raspberries grow naturally in Munich forests, they look and taste exactly like the cultivated sort. These are a different plant. The number of individual little spheres is much higher.

Possibly, these are rubus glaucus, the Andean raspberry.

Quite a few wild berries are toxic. Of course, these were identified by local people as safe, but caution is advisable when facing fruits resembling known ones in a foreign place.

We also have wild raspberries where I live and although smaller than cultivated raspberries, they also have bigger spheres than what Robert is showing here. They also, like Jerome says, taste exactly like the cultivated ones. I have some cultivated ones in my backyard and the only difference is that they are much bigger than the wild ones.
The iris is very pretty though, and I'm surprised to see this so late in the season. We get irises where I live and they usually are late spring, early summer. A few cultivars later in summer, but first time I've seen any this late in October.

cool pics!

Asher Kelman

As a child in London, we would explore wild natural unbuilt areas hidden behind alleys, where will blackberries grew. They were free for picking and we kept the locations to ourselves.

69E793AC-7BD7-429E-9A64-C7DC34536034.jpeg

Now I have learnt that these plant have thorns directed backwards that can catch sheep and as they struggle they are drawn further in, are captured and die to fertilize the plants!

Now that’s a passive-aggressive carnivore, or is it?!

it’s still debated. After all the brambles don’t produce enzymes to digest the captured sheep and that latter anyway, are creations of man, not naturally so fluffy and prone to capture!

Asher

Asher Kelman

26B2DCDE-8F06-4527-90A2-B5F41B706239.jpeg

Robert,

This is exquisite! The pose of the flower is, like the berry in the hand, an offering to the sky and to the pollinators. This is so poetic and inspirational!

Interesting that not o ly is it a lure by virtue of color and UV markings but also by its electrical field. Each busting bee alters it so new arrivals can choose the least visited flowers and so maximize pollination!

Asher

Robert Watcher

We also have wild raspberries where I live and although smaller than cultivated raspberries, they also have bigger spheres than what Robert is showing here. They also, like Jerome says, taste exactly like the cultivated ones. I have some cultivated ones in my backyard and the only difference is that they are much bigger than the wild ones.
The iris is very pretty though, and I'm surprised to see this so late in the season. We get irises where I live and they usually are late spring, early summer. A few cultivars later in summer, but first time I've seen any this late in October.

cool pics!

This post is from April 2019, that Asher has resurrected. So you are correct in being surprised at the Iris being seen in late October.

——-