• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Winter Scenes II: Got One You'd Like to Share Here?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hey, Nicolas!

Then set up the tripod and shoot your frozen tear for us!

Mary

Too late Mary !
Your presence here again, did warm and dry the tear! ;-)

DSC_7333_self_portrait.jpg

Mary Bull

Oh, Nicolas, you do look happy!

This is a great picture of you. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Warm indoors, the best of winter scenes!

Mary

Mary Bull

Picture-perfect Vermont sky and hills, Roger.

Thank you so much for this--blue shadows, massing clouds.

And for the Yorkshire snow, with the silhouetted tree line against the sunset.

Mary

Louis Doench

We haven't had much snow, but...

This is a pic I've been waiting two years to get

[EDIT] Louis, instead of pasting page URL, paste the image URL... like this:
381872345_bca550ba17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mary Bull

Wonderful pic--here's how to embed it

Hmmm...
Still no image
;(
Louis, I looked at Flickr and posted my comment there that "It's wonderful."

If you ever want to embed a photo from your Flickr account in a future post here at OPF, click on All Sizes at Flickr, right above your photo. A page with the picture image and choices of sizes will appear, with two fields below the picture that have HTML code in them.

Copy the linking URL out of the field below the picture image. It will end with "jpg" . It's the shorter of the two codes.

After that, come to your post editor window here at OPF and look at the toolbar at the top of the window. Click on the little "envelope" icon to the left of what looks like a text-document icon, with a little tail.

When that box (field) pops up, paste the URL from Flickr in it. You should be able to see the embedded picture in your post Preview then.

Flickr is where I keep my gallery, also. :) But it took a lot of doing for me to learn how to embed the pictures in my OPF posts.
Look here instead
It's wonderful and well worth waiting two years to capture!

Mary

nicolas claris

Oh, Nicolas, you do look happy!

This is a great picture of you. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Warm indoors, the best of winter scenes!

Mary

Thank you Mary
in fact this self portrait is a few years old that I shot for a Magazine that wrote an article about me, if you want to improve your French, you may have a look here! 2 pages pdf file of the article

Sorry to have commited this "small" lie but I had no time to do a new self portrait...;-)

nicolas claris

It's called poetic license.

LOL

Mary

My English is not good enough so I had to search thru Wikipedia...

In summary, artistic license is:
Entirely at the artist's discretion
Intended to be tolerated by the viewer (cf. "willing suspension of disbelief")
Neither "good" nor "bad"
Useful for filling in gaps, whether they be factual, compositional, historical or otherwise
Used consciously or unconsciously, intentionally or unintentionally or in tandem

Ho là là ! I sign for all! LOL

Mary Bull

0o la la, Nicolas in the Court of Winter!

My English is not good enough so I had to search thru Wikipedia...

In summary, artistic license is:
Entirely at the artist's discretion
That part's true.
Intended to be tolerated by the viewer (cf. "willing suspension of disbelief")
I tolerated it well enough. hehehe
Neither "good" nor "bad"
Was warm and wonderful, and a nice image to go with Louis's snow baby--though we had to wait awhile for the snow-throwing baby.
<she said gathering up a snowball to aim at Nicolas, the tease>
Useful for filling in gaps, whether they be factual, compositional, historical or otherwise
Well, you did explain that you lacked the time to make a self-portrait especially for me. <accepting shrug>
Used consciously or unconsciously, intentionally or unintentionally or in tandem
Hm. I believe it was entirely deliberate!

Verdict: Guilty as charged of posting with artistic license.
Ho là là ! I sign for all! LOL
Defendant pleads guilty, in addition.

Sentencing and penalty phase will be dealt with at the next session of this Winter Court Term.

Mary
(thread owner and presiding judge)

*mm~
M&M (her mark) recording secretary

~th*
Thistle (his mark) star witness of image

LOL

nicolas claris

I give-up!
for my penalty, I'll follow the Jury and post 2 images, shot last Friday night for the 1st and last Saturday at dawn for the 2nd. All natural light... it was not freezing, but the wind.... brrrrrrr!

This is a brand new 58 meters (177 feet!) a few minutes before launch

The 1st shot at night
_G8A9345.jpg

the 2nd shot at dawn:

_G8A9384.jpg

The little black spot, in front of the bow is the bottle of Champagne that will be used for the christening...

Last edited:

Mary Bull

Completely beautiful, Nicolas, and the Winter Court is entirely satisfied.

Thanks a million for putting us with that beautiful boat in a cold winter scene.

Mary

Ivan Garcia

Hi Nicolas
[jest mode on] I am very upset… That is my boat… Santa gave it to the wrong person … now if you could kindly tap the new owner on the shoulder and tell him to give it back…lol [/jest]
Wonderful images, as usual.

Ps: Heavy snow is expected for tomorrow here in London... I am so excited!!!!

nicolas claris

Hi Ivan
Guess what? Never believe Santa! He may have sold that same boat to so many persons!
Thanks for the kind words.

Carefulle with the snow, don't slip with your camera in hands!

Guess what? Never believe Santa!

I agree, that's why we instituted his alter ego "Sinterklaas" in the Netherlands. No silly flying reindeers (a dead giveaway he can't be for real), just a simple steamboat(!) ride into the country, packed with presents(!) for well-behaved children of all ages, in honour of his own birthday. He'd never promise such a ship, we'd first need to earn it with good behavior. A benevolent person arriving on a ship, who'd question that ...

Carefulle with the snow, don't slip with your camera in hands!

There apparently are several countries involved. I have, since 2 weeks ago, an appointment planned in the Netherlands involving a 200 km car ride, and now the National Meteorological service issued a formal Weather Alert for Thursday ... We'll see how things evolve, and I hope there's an opportunity for capturing snowscapes.

Bart

nicolas claris

There apparently are several countries involved. I have, since 2 weeks ago, an appointment planned in the Netherlands involving a 200 km car ride, and now the National Meteorological service issued a formal Weather Alert for Thursday ... We'll see how things evolve, and I hope there's an opportunity for capturing snowscapes.

Bart

Yep !
A journalist friend of mine in St-Petesburg just drop me an email to tell me they are awaiting a cold front from North, (is there anything living North of St-Petersburg?) with minus 30° C! (minus 22° F according to this converter
They better use CF cards and no MD!

Louis Doench

Thank you thank you thank you. Finding this forum is what finally got me off my butt to get my stuff online. And start a photblog. And start shooting more. etc.

Thanx again

Mary Bull

Welcome, Louis!

Thank you thank you thank you. Finding this forum is what finally got me off my butt to get my stuff online. And start a photblog. And start shooting more. etc.

Thanx again
It's a pleasure to get to know you!

I'm taking for granted that the snow-throwing baby is your child?

I do love this picture so much!

Post the link to your photoblog?

Mary

I posted this elsewhere, but it really belongs here.

Its been so cold here, I can't bring myself to go outside and take pictures, although we've had some very beautiful days. This is from a few weeks ago when we had some warm days and cold nights...

icethingsiii.jpg

Mary Bull

Ed, there's an immediacy about the snow on the stems and in the way puddles are implied in the soft-focused background.

At first I thought I was looking at snow and ice, but now I believe it's drops from melting snow that I'm seeing, and reflections in water below.

At least, my imagination likes that way of viewing the lovely colors in this picture.

Mary.

Thanks Mary. I feel like I already know you from all the other posters. =D

My favorite feature in this photo is the color as well. Thanks for noticing. :)

Those are refelections in the water below. The brown color is from the fall leaves at the bottom of the calm pool. If you look carefully, you can begin to see the lines in the brown color from the edges of the leaves.

Holly Cawfield

My goodness, the more I look around this forum, the more I'm inspired!

This is a photo I took two weeks ago in a very oddly isolated blizzard. I could drive in and out of it in a matter of a minute or so and in late afternoon the sun broke through all the snow. The winds were about 60km per hour which has created this fog-like affect with the blowing snow.

Holly

BlizzardSunset700px.jpg

Mary Bull

My goodness, the more I look around this forum, the more I'm inspired!
Some wonderful people and wonderful pictures here--you're right.
This is a photo I took two weeks ago in a very oddly isolated blizzard. I could drive in and out of it in a matter of a minute or so and in late afternoon the sun broke through all the snow. The winds were about 60km per hour which has created this fog-like affect with the blowing snow.
So much visual impact!

Thanks a million for letting us see it and for telling the story of how you took it.

How do you protect your camera in such circumstances?

I tend, still, to just "go for it." Then I'm careful to let lens and lens cap air-dry before shutting off my Canon G2 and putting the cap back on.

The pros and experienced amateurs here do frown on letting digital cameras get wet. :)

Mary

Holly Cawfield

Thank you for this reply Mary! There was plenty of "impact" that day! The snow was blowing so hard I could barely see. :-D

My greatest concern was the camera and I got as close to the scene as I could in the car where I could adjust the settings before going out and then used my scarf to protect the camera the best I could. I'm not sure the photo does the moment justice--it was such a spectacular scene and quite etheral ..I almost felt as if I was on another planet. One of the things I've found about photography is that the story that tends to go with so many photos is often the most fun of this whole endeavour. :)

Holly