• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Your Computer Isn't Yours

Jerome Marot

On modern versions of macOS, you simply can’t power on your computer, launch a text editor or eBook reader, and write or read, without a log of your activity being transmitted and stored. This means that Apple knows when you’re at home. When you’re at work. What apps you open there, and how often. They know when you open Premiere over at a friend’s house on their Wi-Fi, and they know when you open Tor Browser in a hotel on a trip to another city.
This information doesn’t stay with them:
1: These OCSP requests are transmitted unencrypted. Everyone who can see the network can see these, including your ISP and anyone who has tapped their cables.
2: These requests go to a third-party CDN run by another company, Akamai.
3: Since October of 2012, Apple is a partner in the US military intelligence community’s PRISM spying program, which grants the US federal police and military unfettered access to this data without a warrant, any time they ask for it. In the first half of 2019 they did this over 18,000 times, and another 17,500+ times in the second half of 2019.

This data amounts to a tremendous trove of data about your life and habits, and allows someone possessing all of it to identify your movement and activity patterns.

Original article: https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I told my wife. She couldn’t fathom why on earth anyone would be interested in her life!

I explained about the ease of data mining For political tendencies and opinions and she then got it!

Is there any movement, at least in Europe to oppose the wholesale monitoring of citizens

Asher

Jerome Marot

I told my wife. She couldn’t fathom why on earth anyone would be interested in her life!

I don't think anyone but the Russian hackers is interested in your wife's life. The Russian hackers, of course, make money by encrypting your data and selling it back to you.

But the thing with massive surveillance is that it is massive. It is not only your wife who uses an Apple computer. It may be political opponents, economic competitors, the military, etc. I am sure that the whereabouts of Airbus CEO's wife, hidden lover or even cleaning lady could be of interest to, say, Boeing.

Is there any movement, at least in Europe to oppose the wholesale monitoring of citizens

Yes, but do you remember the other thread about the shock doctrine?