• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

DOGS! A Photographic project...

Paul Abbott

I've been a big fan of Elliott Erwitt and his photographs of 'dogs' from around the world, and so I thought I would venture on a similar project of my own.
His book DOG DOGS is a great view on dogs as well as they're owners. Some dogs are loveable, funny and cute while others are downright scruffy and mangy and even rabid to an extent. I have taken the view that it depends on the country and it's society...:)

Anyway, here are a few snaps of mine, starting in Thailand; as I have just come back from there...

Phang Ga, Thailand #1

Ao Nang, Thailand #2

East London, UK #3

Krabi, Thailand #4

Paul Abbott

Image #11 was taken today, with my RICOH GR set to snap focus...

Ao Nang, Thailand #9

Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire #10

East London, UK #11

James Lemon

I see you have introduced some dogs on leashes. I wonder if for some people, dogs have become kind of like a fashion statement, especially with the right colored high heels i.e., Lady Gaga and her pink poodle.

Paul Abbott

I see you have introduced some dogs on leashes. I wonder if for some people, dogs have become kind of like a fashion statement, especially with the right colored high heels i.e., Lady Gaga and her pink poodle.

I'm quite sure they are, James. Although, over here we do love our dogs for all the right reasons, most of us do anyway eh. :)
I think I see where your taking this...are you suggesting that I may have to use colour? :D

Antonio Correia

Thanks, Antonio. I'm happy i've moved you in that way...:)

In some oriental countries they eat dogs like Europeans eat cows or pigs.

I have seen dogs in many oriental countries which were raised like chickens what may chock some people with different cultures.

I have also seen - and I am sure you also have - many many with scabies/mange.

May I post a Portuguese dog here Paul ?

James Lemon

I'm quite sure they are, James. Although, over here we do love our dogs for all the right reasons, most of us do anyway eh. :)
I think I see where your taking this...are you suggesting that I may have to use colour? :D

I never use color for any reason.

Paul Abbott

Hey Antonio, your welcome to post your image...you've got me wondering whether it be hanging and curing now. :)

Hey James, good to hear...:)

Antonio Correia

Thank you Paul. :)
Here is a common Portuguese dog.
Paul, even with Google I am ignorant about "to be hanging and curing" :(

i-z6DJ6nJ-X2.jpg

Paul Abbott

Hey Antonio, nice one. I don't know what breed of dog is most common to the UK now, they're all over here now...
As for those words, hanging is self explanatory but curing means to salt, smoke and age a piece of meat...just like Parma ham. :)

Paul Abbott

Again, this is another straight Jpeg from the GR. The image setting again is a Hi-Contrast one with a -2 contrast applied in camera.
I really do prefer the Jpegs this camera produces they're grittier and very film-like, and slightly more akin to what the small sensor GRDIV's produced in regard to that gritty and dirty feel...

Sublime for the street...;)

East London, UK #12 - Paul Abbott

Paul Abbott

Thanks, Antonio...
You have a great collection of images over on your website too. I'm always looking at images and I checked yours out. I never stop looking...osmosis and all that. :)

James Lemon

I like the mood of your dog series they always seem so casual and curious at the same time. I particularly like the one of the dog heading downs the stairs.

Paul Abbott

OMG! it couldn't have happened to a more rarer species...

The way things are going man's best friend may even carry a disease that will evolve and affect us in some way too. Can you imagine a worldwide cull of dogs, or even a world without dogs? We'd always have a picture wouldn't we...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
OMG! it couldn't have happened to a more rarer species...

The way things are going man's best friend may even carry a disease that will evolve and affect us in some way too. Can you imagine a worldwide cull of dogs, or even a world without dogs? We'd always have a picture wouldn't we...

On an island like Sumatra, there could be a widespread testing for distemper virus in dogs and culling those that test positive. They did that in the former Soviet Union to eradicate tapeworm in pork there. Also, it would be reasonable to have a vaccine!

The virus can be prevented with vaccinations but folk often just give the first shot to the puppies while it's essential to keep giving shots every 2 weeks from the 6-8th week until the 16th week.

There's no reason why the Island of Sumatra couldn't be made free of this virus by free compulsory testing and vaccination.

As for the rest of the planet, we may need to use aerosols to immunize feline populations from airplanes.

Right now, they need to address the issue before we get the next big jump to man! Already the disease is suspected of causing a disease of bone in man, Paget's disease.

We can't have giant populations of dogs harboring this virus like a laboratory. It's a ticking time bomb. Before 1900, this disease probably didn't exist!

Asher

Paul Abbott

I have been thinking about changing up this project a little and including photographs that are symbolic of our relationship with dogs as well as the dogs themselves. This would include stuffed toys, pottery and other paraphernalia...

Asher, that is a lot of fine hair on that St. Bernard, I questioned it's sharpness too but it is sharp.

Battersea, London #15 - Paul Abbott