• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

DOGS! A Photographic project...

Paul Abbott

Thanks, Nicolas...

Here's a few dogs I stumbled upon in my visit to Northumberland. Btw, the two Bull terriers in the second shot are tied together at the neck

Alnmouth, Northumbria #16 - Paul Abbott

Warkworth, Northumbria #17 - Paul Abbott

Craster, Northumbria #18 - Paul Abbott

James Lemon

I am certain their are more effective ways of leash training a dog,without the cost.I am enjoying your recent images. I am wondering about mixing color images with B/W in a set?

Paul Abbott

Another two from Haworth, Yorkshire...

Haworth, West Yorkshire #19 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

Haworth, West Yorkshire #20 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

James Lemon

Another two from Haworth, Yorkshire...

Haworth, West Yorkshire #19 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

Haworth, West Yorkshire #20 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

I like the composition of the first, the dog looks to have full rein of the place and the freedom to come and go, at the same time appears to be protective and in charge.

In the second the dogs look like they need some relief and have had enough judging by the dog on the right, the overall image came across as very funny to my wife, she burst out laughing.

Paul Abbott

Thanks for the reply, James.

I was proud to have captured #20...There is only so many images one can get of dogs on leashes but this works and stood out I feel.
I liked the drip spots on the ground striking a little analogy with the spotted dog too...
I'm happy your wife laughed at #20...:)

James Lemon

Thanks for the reply, James.

I was proud to have captured #20...There is only so many images one can get of dogs on leashes but this works and stood out I feel.
I liked the drip spots on the ground striking a little analogy with the spotted dog too...
I'm happy your wife laughed at #20...:)

Will you stop at twenty or keep shooting ? I think 5 to 12 of your best would make a nice set. What do you think ?

Paul Abbott

I'll go ball's out and capture as many as possible James, it'll be an ongoing project. I'd like to get a more diverse range of dog, and with that capturing more of them in action, in different places and not just on the leash. I'll be doing more travelling around too...I do think there are better opportunities in Europe and other countries also so it could take a lot of time in this respect.

Personally, i'd like to get them printed up in a book. Do something using 'Blurb' maybe...

In London I missed a great opportunity the other day whereby a dog decided to have a toilet on a public lawn, right in front of a family sat on the same lawn, nearby. I missed it because I was sat down and eating lunch with my wife...I had my head in my hands. :)

Anyway, I think there is a lot of life left in the project and I always keep my camera nearby no matter where I go without necessarily searching for dog images. By not having an agenda and not looking you can be pleasantly surprised with many an opportunity, I guess...:)

James Lemon

I'll go ball's out and capture as many as possible James, it'll be an ongoing project. I'd like to get a more diverse range of dog, and with that capturing more of them in action, in different places and not just on the leash. I'll be doing more travelling around too...I do think there are better opportunities in Europe and other countries also so it could take a lot of time in this respect.

Personally, i'd like to get them printed up in a book. Do something using 'Blurb' maybe...

In London I missed a great opportunity the other day whereby a dog decided to have a toilet on a public lawn, right in front of a family sat on the same lawn, nearby. I missed it because I was sat down and eating lunch with my wife...I had my head in my hands. :)

Anyway, I think there is a lot of life left in the project and I always keep my camera nearby no matter where I go without necessarily searching for dog images. By not having an agenda and not looking you can be pleasantly surprised with many an opportunity, I guess...:)

I share the same notion when it comes to working in this manner and I am getting a better feel for it. Too bad about the missed shot but a least you weren't chimping at the time.

Paul Abbott

Yeah, 'chimping' eh...what a waste of battery life too. :) At least I saved my head from falling into my ice cream dessert also...:)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Hackney, London '13 #21 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

Paul,

The dog is so beautiful and looks healthy and content on this modest house boat that's seen far better days. No doubt you already noticed the black patches on the white board complementing the dogs coat.

This is a gritty image, that suggests much about the dog's owner, perhaps holding on to a place to live on the edge of society and really caring for the animal as family.

Shoreditch, London '13 #22 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

This rough fellow is the Winston Churchill of the house, but has no cigar. This is a rare time, outside of the song, that I hear anything of Shoreditch.

Problem is that when one grows rich, one moves away from places like Shoreditch, I'd imagine!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, that little pug-like dog on the doormat looks like he's ready for anything, he's a proper little bouncer indeed. :) I was just happy to catch him off his leash at least...

In the future i'm hoping for dogs in goggles and dogs flying through the air etc., for some extra variety...but don't hold your breath though. :)

This particular area of London is very much sought after for living in these days. It is the home of a lot of artistic people and I guess well off people. It is a great area of London that attracts the artistic, weird and affable. It's got great bars and night life too.
Gilbert & George live near Brick Lane...

Rick Waldroup

I, too, am a big fan of Erwitt's dog photos. And for those who have not tried this, it is much harder than it looks. I know, I set out on a project several years ago to shoot dogs and quickly found out that it takes a lot of patience and quick reflexes to shoot this type of stuff. Nothing much ever came of my short lived project.

I hope you keep working on your project. You have some really nice work here, Paul. My hat is off to you.

Here is one I shot back in 2011.

Uptown Dogs - Fort Worth, Texas

p784665261-4.jpg

Paul Abbott

Thanks a lot for your words and experience, Rick. I really appreciate your feedback and I agree with you, it is a hard aspect in trying to find an always different shot, let alone being there when it happens. A more extreme form of luck is needed, too.
We're living in a different time now and dogs are always leashed, especially in the city. I think I may need to get out to the suburbs and parkland...
I won't be happy until I find a dog/s in goggles or floating through the air. :D

I must say that you have done really well with your shot, what a narrative that is, I love it. I am always on the lookout for a dog in a car too, nice one.

Paul Abbott

I liked the slight element of confusion in the recognition? of the dog this scene held and so thought it well worth photographing...that analogous dog shape done it for me. :)

trampsdoglyingundercovers600_zpsd2269652.jpg

Barcelona, Spain '14 #26 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/ GW3 21mm

Asher Kelman

beggingwomanampdogbarcelona700_zps8ed6db99.jpg

Barcelona, Spain '14 #25 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/ GW3 21mm

Paul,

I'm so behind on your pictures! Glad you revived this thread so I can catch up. This picture deals with loyalty, patience, the passage of time and bonding. Up to par and and a hole in one!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I liked the slight element of confusion in the recognition? of the dog this scene held and so thought it well worth photographing...that analogous dog shape done it for me. :)

trampsdoglyingundercovers600_zpsd2269652.jpg

Barcelona, Spain '14 #26 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/ GW3 21mm

I haven't as yes found the dog hidden in all the elements of the picture. So I will rest and revisit. But the picture is important to me, right now, as I'm looking at examples of "scatter art" by the German sculptor, Manfred Pernice, although he puts the collections in framed boxes! This sculpture and this painted graphic on paper have resonance for me with your composition

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Antonio and Asher, thanks for commenting.

In regard to #25 it could be that there is a whole lot of suffering going on there too. A lot of beggars in Barcelona are to be found outside churches and cathedral doorways. Only one at any one time though. I have never seen any praying inside...

As for #26, i'm only too happy to find something a little different by way of documenting dogs for this project...I'm still looking out for dog's with goggles and others hovering in the air though. :)

Thanks for those links to Pernice's artwork, they do hold some similarity indeed.