• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In a Golden Bowl

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I often bring home leaves with my grandchildren and then try to find out how the want to be placed. I discovered that a bowl lit them nicely when placed under a skylight. So here goes, a new series.

[Group 3]-_MG_5989__MG_5991_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #1

Golden Bowl Series, April 2013

I hope you'll enjoy my presentation of the leaves we brought home.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Let's add another ............

[Group 27]-_MG_6093_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #2

Enjoy!

Asher

I would like to see a combination, where there is a form that makes the recipient refer to other aspects (like erotic for example, or water surface or fire...) of life and provides codes that advance the aesthetics as part of culture further...

c36-5_16x_e.jpg

Let's add another ............

[Group 27]-_MG_6093_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #2

Enjoy!

Hi Asher,

This is a nice one. I like the composition better and the leaf becomes more of an abstract floating shape. The colors really help, warm tones in the foreground, cool colors in the back.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

I would like to see a combination, where there is a form that makes the recipient refer to other aspects (like erotic for example, or water surface or fire...) of life and provides codes that advance the aesthetics as part of culture further...

Theodoros,

Thanks for the comment. Wait, it will likely come. But it has to arise, either as an intent of mine or as a demand by the emerging life-force of the picture.

You might have noticed that the first image had a single leaf, the second a couple!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

This is a nice one. I like the composition better and the leaf becomes more of an abstract floating shape. The colors really help, warm tones in the foreground, cool colors in the back.

Bart,

Especially thrilled to have you visit my work. Yes, the duality of tones really helps. The leaves seem to be more like Chagall floating people.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Speaking of floating - did you consider to let them float on water?
So many possibilities for lighting.

Best regards,
Michael

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Very ....... Singular? I do like them, Asher, but like I'd like a nice card to give my wife for an anniversary or something I've forgotten to do. Does the 'untitled' title add to the drama? And the part of a series add to the cost you can charge someone?
I hope you got the same value from taking these as I do. It's an intense experience. The world closes in and the mind expands just a bit.
That's as good as its going to get today, I'm afraid. I am in need of a doctor and the grand kids are on their way. I'm bracing myself.

Asher Kelman

Very ....... Singular? I do like them, Asher, but like I'd like a nice card to give my wife for an anniversary or something I've forgotten to do. Does the 'untitled' title add to the drama? And the part of a series add to the cost you can charge someone?
I hope you got the same value from taking these as I do. It's an intense experience. The world closes in and the mind expands just a bit.
That's as good as its going to get today, I'm afraid. I am in need of a doctor and the grand kids are on their way. I'm bracing myself.

Tom,

Your visit is really appreciated and welcome! Let me know the date of the anniversary and I'll send the card myself! As far as what you've forgotten to do, your list cannot possibly compete with mine. However, I make new lists including references to previous ones and then every so often they get discovered by my wife and "puff", they're gone too!

This series is one of completely new discovery of a path that I know leads to wonderful new images but I've no idea where it will end as the images make their own demands of me, even after I've released the shutter. So I am busy and have a lot to enjoy and much more to learn of what's possible in a small space with no added gear whatsoever.

There are no titles since that itself would change my journey by fixing the location of where I am at a particular stage. however, I really do not know, so that might or might not come later. I have sufficient belief in imagination and richness of each persons background that if my pictures have life at all, the viewer will find some appreciation. There's no grander purpose. It will not change anything in the world but it's giving me satisfaction and stimulating ideas for my actual studio work. right now my muse and assistant is away as her father just passed. so I'm down to distractions with inanimate objects, apart from my penchant for snapping at people as I walk.

Asher

Asher Kelman

First just a portion of two leaves framed together, next a single and rather long and older chap!

[Group 26]-_MG_6091__600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #3

[Group 8]_MG_6001_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #4

The first was softened selectively, while this chap is left quite hard all over as there's nothing more I wish to do to!

Asher

Robert Watcher

I'm one who generally has a preference toward contrast and saturation, and so should prefer the second image as well #4 - - - but in this case - from a visual standpoint, my preference is the first image. #1 still has enough of those qualities, but keeps a simplicity and softness and a focus on the subject. My first thought on #3 was, what is that finger doing in there (bright spot in top centre). That is just my opinion from a quick first glance - I did not analyze or try to find meaning in them. There is nothing wrong with any of them. It's always interesting when someone can use simple everyday objects to come up with compelling photos.

----

First just a portion of two leaves framed together, next a single and rather long and older chap!

[Group 26]-_MG_6091__600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #3

[Group 8]_MG_6001_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #4

The first was softened selectively, while this chap is left quite hard all over as there's nothing more I wish to do to!

Asher
Yep! ..much better IMO, the first one refers to erotic, the second to halloween... much better indeed (I particularly like the purple eyes in the second one)!

Asher Kelman

Now we turn the lights down a little and snoop around to find which characters are hanging out together.

[Group 30]-_MG_6114_NSE_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #5

There's so much going on when one looks!

Asher

Asher Kelman

So this is todays work: a diptych.

[Group 21]_MG_6177_6.jpg
[Group 12]_MG_6163_7.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #6 and #7

You comments are welcome!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Commenting meaningfully on someone else's work ( or the inability to do so ) is a primary reason I avoid writing too much.

Case in point are these sets of images provided to us by Asher.

Simple and the most intricate, simultaneously.
A study in contrasts if ever there was one. Notice the sharp edges coexisting with the smooth gradations.
Which colors go with each other. Which oppose. Which soothe as opposed to depict conflict.

All this is and much more is there for one to see.
And food for the imagination if one cares to wander about a bit.

So you see, for me it is far nicer to just wander about and enjoy/conjure up the infinite variations and themes in a bunch of leaves.

And the whole world awaits further discovery.

Well done, Asher.

Asher Kelman

Commenting meaningfully on someone else's work ( or the inability to do so ) is a primary reason I avoid writing too much.

Case in point are these sets of images provided to us by Asher.

Simple and the most intricate, simultaneously.
A study in contrasts if ever there was one. Notice the sharp edges coexisting with the smooth gradations.
Which colors go with each other. Which oppose. Which soothe as opposed to depict conflict.

All this is and much more is there for one to see.
And food for the imagination if one cares to wander about a bit.

So you see, for me it is far nicer to just wander about and enjoy/conjure up the infinite variations and themes in a bunch of leaves.

And the whole world awaits further discovery.

Well done, Asher.

Thanks so much, Fahim!

Someone who has frustrated the angel of death is a wise man and has the most powerful allies! He also hasa far better vision to appreciate our gifts! Be well-healed, our good friend. Keep your keener appreciations and impatience with the profiteers, such as those who give tobacco to the poor. Thanks for the visit and the kind words. I would not be as proud even if the Dalai Lama visited, and he's a man I admire more than most.

My images are still influenced by the relationship of tenderness I saw between Yoko Ono and John Lennon in the very last picture taken of them by anyone before his tragic end to an assassin's bullet the next day. My muse, chaperon and photographic assistant is unfortunately in Florida arranging the effects of her late father who succumbed to lung cancer, doubtless from smoking, So I decided to create a very small space and photograph beautiful things I come across getting light from a skylight above. A golden bowl acts to give illumination all around and whatever is created this way, I work with.

So right now, my soft boxes, strobes, reflectors, ladders and cables are not in sight, just the piles of leaves I brought home. I plan to also shoot some flowers and perhaps, even some trout!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

..My images are still influenced by the relationship of tenderness I saw between Yoko Ono and John Lennon in the very last picture taken of them by anyone before his tragic end to an assassin's bullet the next day. My muse, chaperon and photographic assistant is unfortunately in Florida arranging the effects of her late father who succumbed to lung cancer, doubtless from smoking, So I decided to create a very small space and photograph beautiful things I come across getting light from a skylight above. A golden bowl acts to give illumination all around and whatever is created this way, I work with.

So right now, my soft boxes, strobes, reflectors, ladders and cables are not in sight, just the piles of leaves I brought home. I plan to also shoot some flowers and perhaps, even some trout
Asher you can dramatize like no other. If I didn't know you, I might have thought that you were a champagne-sipping, artsy-fartsy, exclusive gallery visiting Beverly Hills socialite, lol. Looking forward to seeing some trout photos soon. And not the Kilgore variety.

I see here a series of pictures which show leaves in different compositions, lit by a soft/natural light source. The background remains static whereas the light and the placement of the leaves change. It is as if the photographer is on a journey to discover the most pleasing composition using a very limited subject material, but infinite in variety due to its nature. It makes one think of the seashells of Edward Weston, searching for perfection. We don't need a context of titles for these imo. We may guess at what moves the photographer to create these compositions as such, but it would be just as meaningful as asking Brancusi why he chose to use a certain curve on one of his statues. The rest is left to the looker, one can choose to see certain forms or meanings in these, just like Theodoros has done before. As Fahim wrote, these await for discovery. Thanks for sharing with us.

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, just a brief comment. These are very pleasant pictures. I especially like your use of the skylight reflection. Well done!

Asher Kelman

Asher you can dramatize like no other. If I didn't know you, I might have thought that you were a champagne-sipping, artsy-fartsy, exclusive gallery visiting Beverly Hills socialite, lol. Looking forward to seeing some trout photos soon. And not the Kilgore variety.

I see here a series of pictures which show leaves in different compositions, lit by a soft/natural light source. The background remains static whereas the light and the placement of the leaves change. It is as if the photographer is on a journey to discover the most pleasing composition using a very limited subject material, but infinite in variety due to its nature. It makes one think of the seashells of Edward Weston, searching for perfection. We don't need a context of titles for these imo. We may guess at what moves the photographer to create these compositions as such, but it would be just as meaningful as asking Brancusi why he chose to use a certain curve on one of his statues. The rest is left to the looker, one can choose to see certain forms or meanings in these, just like Theodoros has done before. As Fahim wrote, these await for discovery. Thanks for sharing with us.

Cem,

Mentioning Edward Weston is a huge compliment. You spending time with my work is another! Thanks. The exploration continues.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher, just a brief comment. These are very pleasant pictures. I especially like your use of the skylight reflection. Well done!

Jarmo,

Good to have you stop by! They are meant to be agreeable, at this stage, but who knows what might appear as we get to know the place better??

Asher

Asher Kelman

The second diptych before we change the scene:

[Group 24]_MG_6192_8.jpg
[Group 28]_MG_6210_9.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #8 and #9

I don't have a title, but if I had to, right now, it would be , "Towards Harmony".

Enjoy!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now, Flowers. Here's a cactus in bloom:

[Group 31]-_MG_6219_NH_700.jpg

Asher Kelman: Cactus Bloom

This was setup by placing the bowl beneath the overhanging stem with the bloom outside in available sunshine with a somewhat cloudy sky. A monochrome version is shown here, post #47.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

I am enjoying these Asher, keep them coming. The BW version is a stark image, but I still prefer the color version as the harmony of the golden bowl in the background and the colors of the flower is very strong.

Asher Kelman

I am enjoying these Asher, keep them coming. The BW version is a stark image, but I still prefer the color version as the harmony of the golden bowl in the background and the colors of the flower is very strong.

Cem,

Thanks for the visit. Interesting how demands of a series can effect a picture, but the B&W version always tells a basic underlying story when the magic veil of color is removed.

Asher

[Group 24]_MG_6192_8.jpg
[Group 28]_MG_6210_9.jpg

I don't have a title, but if I had to, right now, it would be , "Towards Harmony".

Enjoy!

Asher

Hi Asher. Sorry for this late comment. I've followed of the series, enjoyed the pictures, but didn't have anything constructive to say. Viewing and enjoying them was enough. Simply writing that seemed a bit banal. These two, though, to me most fully realize your source of inspiration from the Lennon/Ono photo.

[Group 24]_MG_6192_8.jpg
[Group 28]_MG_6210_9.jpg

Enjoy!

Asher

Hi Asher. Sorry for this late comment. I've followed the series, enjoyed the pictures, but didn't have anything constructive to say. Viewing and enjoying them was enough. Simply writing that seemed a bit banal. These two, though, to me most fully realize your source of inspiration from the Lennon/Ono photo. A loving couple, both a bit battered, and child. The affiliation between the couple evident in their juxtaposition with the child separated from them although comfortably belonging with them. Even cuddling into them in the right-side picture. Not all families are like that, unfortunately. Great picture, great symbolism.

Cheers
Mike

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher. Sorry for this late comment. I've followed of the series, enjoyed the pictures, but didn't have anything constructive to say. Viewing and enjoying them was enough. Simply writing that seemed a bit banal. These two, though, to me most fully realize your source of inspiration from the Lennon/Ono photo.

Michael,

I enjoy your visits! Yes, this diptych is informed by my love of Annie Leibovitz' last picture of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. I feel inspired by the passionate empathy between these two special people, (despite millennia of separate origin), magnetically joined by forces, so admirable, beautiful and strong.

In a way, this is the strength behind my motivations in OPF. Out of the reactions between different cultures a vibrant diversity is created for all to experience. This can, at times, far exceed that which our disparate origins, alone, could predict.

More to follow!

Asher

doug anderson

Love this one in particular.

Well, Asher, now I want to do still lifes. These are wonderful. What a great way to study composition.