• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lookout - here I come : Nicaragua 2012/2013

Robert Watcher

Sorry I haven't been participating (photographically) on the forum for a while. To be honest, I just haven't been taking any pictures. I felt the need for a break, knowing that I will be sickening myself from shooting 10's of thousands of images and hopefully some video over the next months. I have been totally preoccupied with preparing for our extended travel adventures this year - where we are are heading to Nicaragua again - - - but this time for 5 months.

We are leaving tomorrow evening (Tuesday) and I hope to be posting a few of my "photo stories" here on the forum if you allow me to :). Anne and I are heading to a completely different area of the country this year - in the northern costal area. It will be a new experience and from what we have researched, we should be able to find more craftsmen and fishing villages to use as our content. For sure it will be "people, people, people" along with a little bit of culture and scenery.

It is going to be an extremely long time away from our children and grandchildren. They have been supportive - but it's also been tough on them knowing they can't be with us when they feel the need for it.

Our son Robert and his wife Michelle, hosted a get-together the other day - so our family could spend the night together before Anne and I head off to Nicaragua. Anne insisted that I bring along my camera and take a portrait of the family together (without us) - - - something we haven't had until now.

I used my Olympus E-510 with a wireless flash trigger to fire a portable flash inside a Westcott Halo on a lightstand:

1076_363514600408861_2086793426_n.jpg

Anne and I popped in for a shot with the grandkids (my daughter Rachel fired the camera). Not being able to hug and kiss and roll around on the floor with these little ones, will cause our greatest sadness while away:

387832_363514627075525_54590518_n.jpg

Rob

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

These are the best ever and the rewards for skill in photography and keeping family glued together. Once grandkids arrive, it becomes so much easier and suddenly we're smart again and our kids find new ways to put us to work! I am sure you will arrange for FaceTime. If they can read, a regular personal email will help them a lot! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

RE: Thousands of pictures!! will you discipline yourself to do rapid deletes, or put it off sand accumulate an impossible headache again for "later" as we usually do!

Asher

Robert Watcher

RE: Thousands of pictures!! will you discipline yourself to do rapid deletes, or put it off sand accumulate an impossible headache again for "later" as we usually do!

Asher

Hehe - - - I'll be discrete this time Asher. Only a few of the best picture stories - although it is over 5 months and not 2 months as before. The rest can be followed on http://asifweknow.com or with my travel stories on my Journal at http://robertwatcher.com/journal. I look forward to everyones comments as usual.

Rob

That sounds very interesting, Robert. What kind of special permission do you need to stay longer than 90 days?
Also, I'm sure that if you have internet, you can skype with the children and grandkids. Isn't the internet wonderful!:)

Robert Watcher

That sounds very interesting, Robert. What kind of special permission do you need to stay longer than 90 days?
Also, I'm sure that if you have internet, you can skype with the children and grandkids. Isn't the internet wonderful!:)

Every 90 days we have to leave the country for a day or two - - - although we recently confirmed that the we can go into the capital city of Managua and pay a slightly higher fee so that we don't have to leave the country. A person can't do it that way twice in a row however. We will probably do that to save the extra travel costs of going to Costa Rica to renew.

Skype is the greatest. Each year that we have gone on our extended trips - Skype has kept us from being home sick. This year, most of our kids and family have iPhones and iPads - and as well our older grandchildren have iPods - - - so most communication can be by Facetime this year. It's actually pretty cool, because we have told the grandchildren that that they can Facetime us anytime. They don't have to wait for their parents. Anne Skypes her aged mother every Thursday morning and talks for a hour or so, which keeps her mother from being depressed that Anne is away for so long. My parents - the same. So much better than a phone call or email.

Rob

Robert, that sounds wonderful. I love skype.

As for the prolonged stay. I always was led to believe, (well in Europe anyways) you stay in the country for 90, then you need to leave the country for 90 days before coming back but then you are going to Nicaragua where the rules may not be as strict and the stamping of passports in Costa Rica, would be a loop-hole.

Have a great trip!
Maggie

Robert Watcher

Robert, that sounds wonderful. I love skype.

As for the prolonged stay. I always was led to believe, (well in Europe anyways) you stay in the country for 90, then you need to leave the country for 90 days before coming back but then you are going to Nicaragua where the rules may not be as strict and the stamping of passports in Costa Rica, would be a loop-hole.

Have a great trip!
Maggie

Wow - I did not know it was like that in Europe. That would be a bummer for the way I like to travel.

Anyway - Central America is not the same. It isn't a loop-hole. You are allowed to stay in any of the countries as long as you want, as far as I am aware. You are simply required to exit the country for a day or two. There are variations in that foreigners staying in Honduras or El Salvador can head across the border of their southern neighbour Nicaragua - - - whereas ones like us who are staying in Nicaragua, cannot go across into Honduras or El Salvador after 90 days stay. if we wish to stay in the area, we must use the Costa Rica border to the south. But it is pretty effortless. Then we just get stamped and come back in.

It's actually not hard getting residency in most of these Central American countries either. Generally a matter of proving that you have some type of steady income coming in. In Costa Rica I know the amount was $1,000 month - - - I just checked Nicaragua and it looks like a minimum of $400.00 a month will get you permanent residency : http://www.pathfinderinternational.net/news/view/residency_with_an_income_of_400_a_month

Rob

Asher Kelman

Robert,

How's your Spanish language ability? I'm wondering since you seem to get to meet workers in their shops, workers in the coffee fields and the like. Also, how does the country fare as far as risks for your all the gear you have to take with you? Is it just insured? What choices do you mane for camera, lenses and backup and does your wife shoot too, or just keep you focused!

Asher

That's great, Robert.. even a poor person like myself could live there :-D

As for Europe, it will depend on the country, some are lackadaisical about it while Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, Switzerland and all the Scandinavian Countries are supposedly very strict. If you are over by a few days, you can get not only a fine, but perhaps Illegal Immigrant stamped in your passport and you may not return for 5-10 years and then only if you get a visa as your passport will not longer do. I know I certainly wouldn't risk it.

I'm excited to see the photos and stories you bring us.
Again, have a great and safe trip
Maggie

Robert Watcher

Thanks so much Asher and Maggie. I am just posting a quick message of response from Pan y Paz in Leon Nicaragua. It is a bakery downtown - and I'm sucking back a Tonya (great beer for around $1 USD). We waited for our internet to be hooked up last night - but he came at 7:00PM instead of 5:00PM and we had gone out for supper.

So I will post on your comments when I get the internet in my home. Hopefully that is in an hour when I am supposed to be back to hook things up.

I am like a human GPS - so have to know my way around any city that I travel to - - - and so was up at 5:30 this morning and had walked around and knew my way around the city by the time I went home for a snooze at around 11:00AM. Of course I also took home with me wonderful hot tortillas from a fellow on a bicycle that we met (1 cordoba each - or about 4 cents USD). Anne dropped into a house and purchased a bag of fresh cooked beans (frijoles) to take home and mush up for burritos.

We are so glad that we didn't go the safe route of returning to places we visited last year in Nicaragua. Passed many of the volcanoes on the drive from Managua - and can see the others in the north that we want to visit. We love our large home ($285 USD per month including hydro cable tv, internet and a cell phone) and the city of Leon. Our intention is to live on $600 per month and enjoy ourselves. That will be for the rent, food, and travel around the country. It is going to be a great time for sure.

Rob

Robert Watcher

Robert,

How's your Spanish language ability? I'm wondering since you seem to get to meet workers in their shops, workers in the coffee fields and the like.

Asher

When we started this in 2008 with our first adventure to Costa Rica, we knew no Spanish at all. That did not hinder my ability to make connections and get my images of people at all - even though we were living in an area where no one spoke English. Each time we go to Central America, we pick up more phrases and improve our skill at "sounding Spanish" by mimicking what we hear other say when we are conversing with them.

Before coming this year, we have become quite good at understanding what we are reading in Spanish and we have improved quite a bit in our ability to say words and phrases correctly and put thoughts together with the words we know. We actually feel like we have a big advantage this year over the other years and since being here have been able to comprehend much more from those we are talking to and dealing with. Hopefully by the time we leave in 5 months, we will be freely communicating in Spanish. It would probably be better to take formal Spanish lessons, but we haven't - preferring to just infuse ourselves in the culture and practice in context.

One Canadian man we met last year who is now fluent in Spanish said that if you are good mimic you will do better in many ways, than trying to learn the language just through books and courses. Different countries and even different regions in a country say things differently. We try to be cameleons and adapt quickly to our surroundings. Patience and flexibility are two strengths of ours that I think help us in this Spanish culture.

Also, how does the country fare as far as risks for your all the gear you have to take with you? Is it just insured?

Asher

There are risks. One needs to be street smart. Photography is my business and a main motivation for my being here. So I have to use my gear and put myself in a more vulnerable position by having it in the open when I am walking around - or as in the case of a story of a guitar maker last year - - - going with expensive gear into an area of town that was not really the safest for any foreigner to roam freely.

I take many precautions - such as never exposing my gear around my home. It is never pulled out of my simple shoulder strap (like ones other locals carry on them) until I am a few blocks away, and the same when I return. I have 2 sets of gear - one that is slightly less valuable than the other. When going into an area that I know is a bit more of a risk or is claimed to be dangerous - I take the less valuable one with me. If I were to ever have that stolen, at least it wouldn't wreck my trip and I could keep on shooting for the rest of my stay. I know that I stick out like a sore thumb and so always walk with a purpose. To be fair, this is exactly how I operate when I am in any large city in America or even in Toronto Canada.

I do not have insurance on my gear - - - but that is my personal choice and not a recommendation. I have always had the ability to pay cash for my equipment and so have no obligation to banks or others. I am taking a risk this way - but it is a calculated risk based on my abilities to replace any loss I might have - as well as the fact that I am not one who finds the need to use the most expensive gear. Any loss would be one body and one lens as I only take what I need with me at any one time.

What choices do you mane for camera, lenses and backup

Asher

I am an Olympus shooter. I love light and compact gear and so this year, while I have brought along one DSLR body and a 140 to 600mm equivalent lens for it - - - I will primarily be shooting with the newer Micro 4/3 mirrorless cameras. As a result, my backpack camera bag is much lighter. The 2 mirrorless camera setups that I will be depending on for both my images and video shooting are my Olympus E-PL1 and E-PL3 along with a couple of 14-42 kit lenses and my micro 4/3 40-150 lens (80-300mm equiv.). I do have a 50mm f1.7 manual 35mm Minolta lens on an adaptor, that I may attach from time to time as a fast portrait lens. I also have brought along my radio slaves and a portable flash for a new twist (hopefully to some of the portrait work).

I have 2 separate hard drives for storage of files along with backups. As well I upload all of image to online storage each night. Online storage is difficult to access in my view - - - but at least I know it is there is something goes wrong with my other storage devices.

does your wife shoot too, or just keep you focused!

Asher

My wife does shoot pictures from time to time - but that is not of primary interest to her. She is the chief investigator and motivator behind our trips. She puts together stories that she wants to tell on our Journal and does any research necessary, and then we go shoot any photos that she needs to support her stories. I have stories I want to tell on photography forums and the like - or just images that I want to take as a photographer. Many times those are taken as we are walking around together - and many times I head out on my own to get them.

A preferred method when we are wanting to tell the story of say a craftsmen, is that Anne will act as the journalist and I am the photographer. Anne's great easy going and warm personality creates conversation with the people involved and it also makes it nice that while she is writing down details and keeping them occupied - - - I just have to take the pictures and focus on what I want to get out of the shoot.

EXAMPLES from Nicaragua in 2011:
Guitar Maker - http://www.asifweknow.com/index.php?pg=1&jdb=nic2011&postnum=59
Ceramic Factory - http://www.asifweknow.com/index.php?pg=1&jdb=nic2011&postnum=47
Brick Bakery - http://www.asifweknow.com/index.php?pg=1&jdb=nic2011&postnum=34

So we kind of work together (well) but with separate agendas. 36 years of marriage and working together helps make a seamless workflow.

Rob

Robert Watcher

OK - a couple of images to get things rolling until I get into putting some stories together.

I am working with Lightroom 4 and actually have found the brush adjustments useful this morning for selective burning in of areas on both images. As well I used the Lens Correction tools in Lightroom 4, for the building shot. It worked quite well.

The airport image was taken with my Olympus E-PL3 and the theatre shot was with my E-PL1 - - - both with kit 14-42 lenses

4:54AM AIRPORT
20121114-0001.jpg

NATIONAL THEATER - LEON NICARAGUA
20121115-0002.jpg

Robert Watcher

Arriving at Managua airport, our checked in luggage was soaking wet when we picked it up at the baggage carousel - as if it had been sitting in a swimming pool for hours. When we opened the bags, every stitch of clothing and other items we had in there had to be wrung out and dried out. The wireless router I brought along was fried and cannot be used.

20121115-0005.jpg

We hit the streets around 5:30 the next morning after arriving and getting a good night sleep. We came across an inexpensive cafeteria to have our first breakfast of local food. Just a matter of picking what items you want and adding the cost of each together. Total price for food and drinks for us both - - - 68 cordobas ($2.85 USD)

20121115-0006.jpg

Robert Watcher

BREAKING THE ICE

After resting from photography for a few days, it was time to get to work starting Monday this week. Being that I am staying for a while - I prefer not to irritate people by sticking my camera in their face all of the time . . .

. . . instead my method is to get one or two people where I have shopped, to have their photo taken and then when I bring back a print, it seems that the word gets around and others are expecting me and sometimes even ask me if I can take their picture as well.

So things started off well for us. On Saturday, I took this shot of a fellow where we bought some local cheese in the old Central Market. Lighting was dismal and I was shooting at 1/10'th second wide open. But a print from this shot should open up doors for me in this market when I return:

20121117-0001.jpg

Monday (yesterday) was a day when Anne and I headed to the beach nearby (40 minute bus ride) to scout out areas where we can go back for stories. It is a fishing village and as well turtle nesting sanctuary.

Our first Camioneta ride took us to the junction to catch the bus to the beach. It is a suburb area of Leon called Sultiava where there is a small market that specializes in fresh fish. I wandered around getting a few shots from the hip - - - and then my break happened. One of the vendors stopped me and asked me to take a shot of his small boy.

When I agreed, he hoisted him up onto some of his produce. I took a shot and then said "una mas" while zooming in for a nice closeup portrait so that I can take his back a nice print. I asked the babies name - with a reply of "Peron". I love to be personal and be able to go back on a first name level where possible. That should be my opening to shooting in that market in the future:

20121119-0001-11.jpg

20121119-0002.jpg

This is one of the "from the hip shots" that I took as I walked around while waiting for the bus to leave for the beach:

20121119-0001-12.jpg

Robert Watcher

I have always been able to connect with people on the buses - and get some really nice shots of them as well.

On my bus ride to the beach, I got the attention of the 2 girls on the bench across from us. They told me that they both lived in Las Penitas - a village on the beach. Maria Rosa agreed to having her photo taken, and then after seeing on the camera screen, Angelica bashfully said yes to my request:

20121119-0003.jpg

Maria Rosa

20121119-0004.jpg

Angelica​

The woman sitting in front of the girls with her little boy on her lap - kept looking back as I talked to the girls with my minimal Spanish. At first I sensed she may be upset, but then I saw that her little boy was looking at me and passing by in the aisle as if to get my attention. I think that she probably wondered why I wasn't taking a shot of her son.

I decided to sneak a shot of her boy while he was preoccupied. I tapped the woman on the arm and showed her the screen. She seemed so excited. I then had no problem taking 3 or 4 more shots of him facing me:

20121119-0001-13.jpg

20121119-0005.jpg

Robert Watcher

TIME TO HIT THE STREETS

Our goal today was to visit the museum of famous poet Ruben Dario so that Anne can have that content for her Journal post. On the way home I decided that it was time to do some serious street shooting with my Olympus E-PL3. To be frank - I am amazed at the accuracy of focus with that camera, using both the 14-42 and 40-150 lens. Here are 12 of the hundreds of images that I collected today.

20121122-0001.jpg

20121122-0002.jpg

20121122-0003.jpg

20121122-0004.jpg

Robert. So many fun pictures. The one of the guy walking with the unboxed cake in one hand and checking out his nails on his other hand made me laugh. I also really love that photo with the dog's head just peaking out. Serendipity!

Robert Watcher

I also really love that photo with the dog's head just peaking out. Serendipity!

It's a happy accident for sure - but also a result of being aware and taking advantage of the situation.

How it came about is that after Anne and I were done getting her story and I was basically done getting the street images I wanted for the day - - - we went into the grocery store and loaded up with groceries distributed evenly into 4 bags so that we could walk the long distance to our home, without too much discomfort and exhaustion from the weight and extreme heat.

About halfway home we both sat down on the edge of a sidewalk in front of someones home. after a few minutes I noticed over my shoulder, the dog sticking his nose through the concrete protective wall so he could see what was going on. I was so tired that I really didn't feel like pulling my camera out of my packed shoulder bag - but I couldn't resist the shot.

I grabbed the shot from my seated position with the standard 28-84mm equivalent lens that was on the camera - - - but I wanted to get closer up. In the few seconds it took me to pull out the longer zoom and put it on the camera, the dog had obviously lost interest in what we were doing, and was gone. The longer lens would have meant I didn't have to crop as I did - but I am glad I took the shot first and at least got something - instead of wait until I had the "right" lens and had nothing. It all happened so quickly that my wife Anne didn't even notice that there was a dog there.

Thanks for your comment Maggie

Robert Watcher

A few more shots from the Streets of Leon

63155_371750132918641_1837088481_n.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #13

155925_371750192918635_522680854_n.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #14

381685_371750186251969_364526262_n.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #15

480970_371751169585204_1866072191_n.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #16​

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

30385_371751159585205_437373740_n.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #17

74788_371753416251646_654642229_n.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #18

483643_371823942911260_323044391_n.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #19

28085_371824319577889_791400559_n.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #20​

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

20121122-0012.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #12

Fabulous find, Robert! I'd go back for more! This is wonderful! What's the story here? did you just come across it or you were taken there?

Asher

Robert Watcher

AS well a shot that just came together perfectly on an untamed beach along the Pacific Ocean. The girl surfer walked into my view and posed better than I could have directed - - - with her board stretched out across her back and hand raised up to block the sun:

20121119-0001-15.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #21

And another cute girl who served us our pizza the other night. I find that taking back a print of these type of photos, really opens doors for me to shoot more freely in different areas of the city or countryside, as time goes on. As well we have gotten excellent service on future visits from everyone in such an establishment - because they know exactly who I am and what I do (I always tip well too)

20121123-0008.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #22

Robert Watcher

20121122-0012.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #12

Fabulous find, Robert! I'd go back for more! This is wonderful! What's the story here? did you just come across it or you were taken there?

Asher

Thanks Asher - We just got our power (and thus internet) back after several hours. It is amazing hour boring and hot it gets when the power goes down - - - thankfully so far, it's just been a couple times a week - and always seems to get turned back on just before it gets dark at 6:00 PM.

AS FOR THE DOG?

I pass this same wall several times every day and I have never seen the dog before or since. I'm sure that sometime during the next 5 months, I will have a similar encounter and can hopefully catch another angle or something.

I did post the story above in post #22. Here is the link for you - http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=136021&postcount=22

Robert Watcher

AMAZING INGENUITY IN THESE COUNTRIES

Would we just do without a radio on our bike if we couldn't find the right kind - the right fit - or the one that is prettiest - or most cost-effective? Not only would that not be a worry in Nicaragua, but there doesn't even have to be a limitation on the sound quality based on limited size of thin sounding speakers or not enough wattage.

As I found out yesterday when I came across the stereo system attached to the handlebars of this bicycle (yes - it is NOT a motorcycle) - any kind of sound system and speaker configuration can easily be jury-rigged and strapped onto a bicycle for a custom sound while riding around and probably for listening to when sitting in their yard or a park.

20121127-093003.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #23

20121127-093011.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #24

That's wild! I'm thinking that the rectangular taped thing is where they place the player.

I'm also looking at the very blue sky and harsh shadows on the ground and it feels like it's a really nice hot day. Here it is -10C and -17C with windchill. I kind of wish I was there! :-D

Robert Watcher

That's wild! I'm thinking that the rectangular taped thing is where they place the player.

I'm also looking at the very blue sky and harsh shadows on the ground and it feels like it's a really nice hot day. Here it is -10C and -17C with windchill. I kind of wish I was there! :-D

You could be right about the player going there. Initially I thought it may be a battery, but now second guessing.

The photo was taken at 8:30AM. It is hot here at between 31 and 33 degrees C (in around 89 degrees F). Thank goodness we have a bit if a breeze on the shady side of the street when walking. November and December are the coolest months apparently. We've been in Nicaragua in March and it is almost uncomfortable.