• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lookout - here I come : Nicaragua 2012/2013

Robert Watcher

Two young fellows came up behind me while I was photographing a building on the back streets of Leon - and wanted me to take their photo. They were on a bike, delivering what I presume were fresh tortillas for their families income.

Olympus E-PL3 : 14-42mm lens @ 17mm : f5.6 @ 1/320'th sec. : 200 ISO

20121231-111435.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #121

Robert Watcher

KEEPERS OF THE GATE

We came upon the location of a large ruins of one of the oldest churches built in Central America in the mid 1500's. The large empty looking lot had a high chain link fence around its perimeter.

As we walked up to the gate of the fence, 2 dogs laying inside (bull terrier and doberman) - noticed us and snarled fiercely. A man came out of the house that adjoined the fence, and asked if we wanted to go in. He opens the gate and sends us in alone with the dogs. We clenched our teeth and trusted that the man wasn't sending into the lion's den. The dogs calmly sat in their corner, allowing us to take our time photographing at our leisure.

When we were done, the gatekeeper Francisco came into the compound to let us out. I asked to take a couple of shots with the site of the ruins in the background - - - and then took a nice closeup portrait of him.

Photos taken with Olympus E-510, 12-60mm f2.8/4 lens

20130102-130723.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #122

Below - viewing the ruins enclosure from down the street - and portrait of Francisco

20130102-131014.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #123

20130102-130711.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #124

Robert Watcher

TWO YEARS LATER

Anne and I revisited the city of Granada this past weekend and surprised many of the locals that we had made friends with and photographed around the city. It was wonderful to see everyone again - and have them remember me and the photos that I had given them when we lived in that city back in February and March 2011.

Here are 3 of the children that I rephotographed and a link to the images I took of them 2 years ago.
Photos taken with Olympus E-PL3 : 14-42mm lens (small lightweight mirrorless system)

20130119-142856.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #125

2 years ago : http://www.asifweknow.com/index.php?pg=3&jdb=nic2011&crnt=219&type=1

20130119-142917.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #126

2 years ago : http://www.asifweknow.com/index.php?pg=3&jdb=nic2011&crnt=379&type=1

20130119-161542.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #127

2 years ago : http://www.asifweknow.com/index.php?pg=3&jdb=nic2011&crnt=398&type=1

-------

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Excellent work, Robert and exemplary! To return and rephotograph these children is wonderful. It's really worthwhile to pause here and see the 3 pairs side by side as this is a very special thing that the two of you have done. You have refreshed your own experience, as husband and wife, reinforced the feeling of value of the people to whom your returned as promised and then allowed us to share in this intimacy.

Thanks so much. I see such character in the pictures and am moved!

Asher

Robert Watcher

PRODUCT IMAGE FOR JOURNAL POST

I just finished taking a shot for my wife's "Travel Virgins" journal post today at http://www.asifweknow.com/index.php?pg=1&jdb=nic2012&postnum=29. The local lady where we were purchasing our "Frijoles Cocidos" (cooked beans). closed up shop recently - - - and so Anne had to start making them herself, even though the fear of cooking beans has haunted her for years.

I had my Olympus E-PL1 and 14-42 kit lens at my disposal, and stood over top of the gas stove with the pot partly filled with soaking dried red beans. Shot at 1600 ISO.

All perspective control, spotting and density adjustments - were completed in Lightroom 4. One thing that I learned. Lightroom 4 may work just fine at basic spotting like I needed on this image, but boy does it slow my computer down to a crawl after I've done several of them. As much as I'd love to continue with the simplicity of Lightroom 4 - I think in the future, I'll have to resort back to Photoshop when I images require a lot of cloning and spotting.

I was totally satisfied with that shot, but it turns out that beans sitting below water are simply not in focus - has nothing to do with DOF - - - they are just blurry. So for the final shot that I used on the journal post, I had another closer up shot that I had taken of just the pot of beans that included some highlights and froth that defined the water better - and pulled that into a Photoshop layer, to replace the pot of beans that was part of the original image . Looks much better. 

20130208-082750.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #129

Robert Watcher

HIGH CLASS CHICKEN BUS

Enough with the expensive Alpine DVD systems for your SUV - or the puny screens on airlines. Now this is the way to watch a Jackie Chan movie while you rest back in the broken down school bus seats, with the road visible underfoot.

A 30 inch normal flat screen mounted to the wall and powered by an inverter - portable DVD player jury-rigged beside it - audio pumped out loud so everyone can easily hear throughout the bus, by the fully exposed wall mounted deck and overhead power amp. While MacGyver may be past memory, the masters of contraption and innovation continue on.

20130213-092753.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #130

Robert Watcher

I headed to Sultiava to deliver prints this morning. The woman in the loaded fruit stand that was on the street in front of Sultiava Market, wasn't there - - - but her husband was. He was so happy to receive the print, and insisted on a photo of himself. While standing there, he proudly held the print I just gave him.

The woman at the stand next to him made it clear that she would like a photo as well. I happily obliged.

What I particularly find amusing when I look at the photos after the fact, is that everyone is laughing and excited and running around to get in the right position for the photograph they want taken of themselves - and then they go serious when I am shooting them - - - although I feel that in many cases that makes for a great shot. Especially like the action shot of the woman cutting the watermelon below, where it may be easy to conclude that I had snuck this shot instead of it being set up.

As well I am grateful for these dark black overhead canopies that act like a large black gobo that directs light in from a more pleasing low angle (seen in the eyes). This is very useful with my shooting at midday when the sun is high and harsh. Shot with the compact Olympus E-PL3 mirrorless camera.

20130214-093208.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #131

20130214-093359.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #132

20130214-093249.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #133

Robert Watcher

YOUNG AND INVOLVED

Boys heading off to school.
20130213-100535.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #134

Young boy practicing his rowing on the edge of Lake Managua.
20130213-111958.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #135

Friends.
20130213-112124.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #136

Robert Watcher

WOODEN BASEBALL STADIUM

I came across this "currently being used" baseball stadium in La Paz Centro - where it is almost impossible to imagine hundreds of people safely watching the weekly local games (on Sunday mornings) while depending on the crickety old wood poles and timbers that support the structure and the rusty wire mesh that supporters wrap their fingers through and lean on.

I have to tell you that I cautiously and nervously walked up the stairs from the stadium entrance (where toddlers could easily fall right through or adults lose a leg), to the upper deck where fans bring their chairs or just sit on the old wood timbers. Speaking of those timbers - I was even more concerned walking my 200lb plus frame across them to get the photographs that I wanted. Hopefully one day, I will get to return and enjoy the atmosphere of a game of baseball here.

Front gates and parking Lot
20130201-091514.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #138

View from behind the pitchers mound
20130201-091236.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #139

Second floor seating - on the floor or bring your own chair
20130201-091606.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #140

Structure supporting the seating area
20130201-091131.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #141

Asher Kelman

Wooden baseball stadium

I came across this "currently being used" baseball stadium in La Paz Centro - where it is almost impossible to imagine hundreds of people safely watching the weekly local games (on Sunday mornings) while depending on the crickety old wood poles and timbers that support the structure and the rusty wire mesh that supporters wrap their fingers through and lean on.

I have to tell you that I cautiously and nervously walked up the stairs from the stadium entrance (where toddlers could easily fall right through or adults lose a leg), to the upper deck where fans bring their chairs or just sit on the old wood timbers. Speaking of those timbers - I was even more concerned walking my 200lb plus frame across them to get the photographs that I wanted.

20130201-091236.jpg

[Hopefully one day, I will get to return and enjoy the atmosphere of a game of baseball here.

Robert,

That would be great! So find out the date of the next game! :)

Asher

Robert Watcher

20130201-091236.jpg

Robert,

That would be great! So find out the date of the next game! :)

Asher

I may if I ever get back to that town. It is close to an hour away - so a lengthy enough ride on the chicken bus. Maybe not this trip being there are less than 2 months left to our stay and much on our agenda yet - - - but we will be returning to Nicaragua again this October 2013 to stay for a 7 month period of time. I'm sure I'll fit it in then.

If things go as planned, I am hoping to supplement my photography income (being away from home for up to 7 moths doesn't help) by putting on one or two Photography Workshops in Nicaragua during the coming year, if possible. For anyone who has done this type of work - who would be kind enough to share some suggestions on how best to put on a travel style workshop - - - I would be most indebted to receive such advice.

----

Robert Watcher

Break after a Morning's Catch

20130204-143853.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #143

20130204-154108.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #144

20130204-144801.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #145

20130204-145240.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #146

Robert Watcher

Make People Happy & Develop Contacts

An essential to my travel photography, is my compact Epson PictureMate 4x6 printer. After photographing people - with or without their knowledge - - - I always return to the locations with one or two prints. Every person I have done this with, has been overjoyed and thankful for my "gift".

Not only that, but attention is drawn to me being a photographer, so that others in the community are more open to my taking their photo. As well, the use of our www.asifweknow.com logo on the bottom right corner of each print - creates interest in our online activities, as well as providing legitimacy to our abilities and professionalism.

The image quality from the Picturemate printers is simply top notch. And being that it uses pigment inks, the prints have increased longevity as well as better resistance to moisture and scratches that might affect the surface appearance. In fact, I have put the prints to an extreme test of leaving a selection of 4x6's in a van window for 5 years - night and day, winter and summer, extreme heat and extreme cold - - - and they are still viewable and usable prints.

20130222-120620.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #147

Robert Watcher

When it doesn't fit on a bus or a bike - and is too big to carry by hand - - - you hire a horse and wagon.

This scene was different than some of the others that have passed me by, because the driver wasn't visible and as well there is the fellow trailing behind on his bicycle, bringing the ladder in order to erect the awning when they get to the location.

20121231-110127.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #148

20121231-110133.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #149

Robert Watcher

Show-Offs

Walking down a street in a small rural town, a boy flew by me down the gently slope - standing on the cross bar of his bicycle. He stopped for a rest, and as I caught up with him, I asked him to repeat what he had done so that I could photograph it. Neighbours standing in doorways were quite amused at him performing for me. As is so often the case - he calls over his buddy and tells him to do his trick for me. These are the results.

20130301-110825.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #152

20130301-111031.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #153

20130301-111037.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #154

Martin Stephens

I'm late to this wonderful series, but I wanted to jump in and say that these are beautiful and sensitive series with good range. I particularly enjoyed the recent #151 and #152 just posted. I loved the playfulness of the boy on bike and the shot through the gate is a real delight. I'll try to keep track as this progresses. Thank you for sharing these.

Robert Watcher

Beach Vendors - Evolution of Acceptance

I took a shot of these kids trying to sell their shell creations and coconut drinks to tourists. I asked the 2 little girls if I could take their photo - and they said no. Other people started suggested to them that they try and get 5 cordobas from me - but I said to the girls no.

I told them that I would bring them back a photograph the following Monday when I returned. Eventually the one girl agreed and then convinced the other girl to get in the shot with her. After I had developed a level of acceptance with them - I moved them into a better "covered" location, to take a closeup of each one - - - and only after seeing that, did the reluctant boys come along and join in as well.

Once I took my photos, I asked for their names - and the girl that first agreed to have the pictures taken, took my small notebook and pen and neatly wrote down everyone's name. She being Sayda - the other younger girl Franci - the boy in the white shirt Sixto - and the fellow in the red shirt Antonio. And then they left - walking down the beach.

They all actually have a very good way of selling - - - countering a persons rejections, by forcing a free necklace or shell creation on them. "It's for you" - "It's free, take it" - "I want to give it to you, no money". And then of course who is so cold hearted to not purchase something from them right? (me I guess, as I haven't purchased anything - but I refuse their free offerings as well, kindly telling them that I can't take it as it would be better for them to make some money from what they want to give me).

20130304-154308.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #158

20130304-154422.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #159

20130304-154708.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #160

20130304-154631.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #161

Robert Watcher

20130304-154743.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #162

20130304-154815.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #163

After the individual images, I went and picked up the buckets that each was carrying and gave it to them to include in the group picture of all four - - - the products were relevant to who they were at this point in time
20130304-154925.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #164

20130304-155705.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #165

Robert Watcher

TODAY'S STREET PANOS

20130308-133641.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #166

20130308-134027.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #167

20130308-134340.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #168

20130308-134359.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #169

Robert Watcher

20130308-134443.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #170

20130308-134751.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #171

20130308-134817.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #172

20130308-135135.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #173

Robert Watcher

DEBRIS CHUTE

I have seen chutes running from the roof to the ground, around construction sites before - they are made of hard plastics or fabrics of some sort - - - - - but couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this chute today that ran up the height of one of Central America's largest churches, that was made from 45 gallon steel barrels strapped together.

20130308-134603.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #174

Asher Kelman

DEBRIS CHUTE

I have seen chutes running from the roof to the ground, around construction sites before - they are made of hard plastics or fabrics of some sort - - - - - but couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this chute today that ran up the height of one of Central America's largest churches, that was made from 45 gallon steel barrels strapped together.

20130308-134603.jpg

Robert Watcher: Nicaragua #174

Robert,

This has a lot of texture and balancing shapes. I'd bet this will also deliver a worthy B&W image, in fact a whole family of them!

Asher

Robert Watcher

This is definitely my ALL-TIME FAV working shot. My friend Lianne Hoogenboom took it while I was shooting some children today. This is not a setup - - - I wasn't even aware that she was grabbing this shot.

For me, it presents how I feel that I interact with people and photograph them, and why I am reasonably successful at getting such great and natural images of strangers who must wonder what I am doing when I go up and stick a camera in their face. Thank you Lianne.

20130313-104728.jpg

Photo by Lianne Hoogenboom

--------------

When we first met these kids, the young girl who was acting as our guide through the volcano vents - was taking her job very seriously - not really showing much expression at all.

20130313-093559.jpg

The next sequence got the ball rolling for us becoming good friends and the girl relaxing - - - the story is that the boys were sculpting clay in candle holders to give to us, but she had nothing. So at one point I noticed that she was being sarcastic to the boys and pretending that she was making something as well (while out of my view). I spun around and teased her about it and told her to continue. She and the boys starting laughing their heads off. These are a couple of the shots I was taking when Lianne captured me with her lens.

20130313-094346.jpg

20130313-094356.jpg

--------------------------

When we were leaving the reserve, we all walked to the exit area together - where I took this nice keepsake of the 3 kids with Lianne and my wife Anne. I have a beautiful portrait and working shot of each of the kids to take back as prints next time I head out to that part of the country.

20130313-100414.jpg