• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

View of Aurora last night from my back porch

I'd thought I'd share my Aurora sighting with you that I had last night.

Around 1:30am, on my way to bed, as I approached the steps, I could see what appeared to be beams of light from the hall window. It is a difficult window to look out of so I sauntered off into the kitchen to get a better look and lo and behold, before me, the wonderful red and orange beams of light filled the northern sky.

I couldn't believe it. I had seen the Aurora Borealis before (but so many years ago) on a cold winter night, but never like this. It usually is more of a lime green cloud that meanders through the sky but never had I seen red and orange and beams straight up from the horizon. Incredible.

Wearing nothing more than a robe, I put on my winter coat, slipped on Simon's size 12 shoes over my bare feet, grabbed my camera that is always on my desk and forged out into the snow, knowing well ahead of time that it was a balmy -20C out!

No time for a tripod, as I had no idea when they would fade so the pictures I took were all hand-held at ISO 3200 and 1/8th of a second shutter speed. Although I am not a night nor an astro-photographer, I know enough to realize that I would be better served with a tripod, a low-iso and very slow shutter speed. I think most people put it on bulb and let it go for 7-20 and even sometimes 30 seconds. The lights were so bright though, I thought I could pull it off.

Unfortunately, the view is not one that will get any ooohs or aaaahs as it is shot between trees and the garage and not of a lake or mountains but I still wanted to share this moment that to me was just delightful.

It was very cold and I couldn't stay out long as my fingers were freezing but once I came back in, and put away the coat and put my hands under warm water for a few moments, I returned to the window and it had all disappeared. What serendipity that I caught it out of the corner of my eye as I would have missed this incredible spectacle.

Here, one of my photos, (technically not very good and I know it) that I thought a few of you may enjoy
seeing anyways.

auroradec19_2014.jpg

Around 1:30am, on my way to bed, as I approached the steps, I could see what appeared to be beams of light from the hall window. It is a difficult window to look out of so I sauntered off into the kitchen to get a better look and lo and behold, before me, the wonderful red and orange beams of light filled the northern sky.

I couldn't believe it. I had seen the Aurora Borealis before (but so many years ago) on a cold winter night, but never like this. It usually is more of a lime green cloud that meanders through the sky but never had I seen red and orange and beams straight up from the horizon. Incredible.

Wearing nothing more than a robe, I put on my winter coat, slipped on Simon's size 12 shoes over my bare feet, grabbed my camera that is always on my desk and forged out into the snow, knowing well ahead of time that it was a balmy -20C out!

No time for a tripod, as I had no idea when they would fade so the pictures I took were all hand-held at ISO 3200 and 1/8th of a second shutter speed. Although I am not a night nor an astro-photographer, I know enough to realize that I would be better served with a tripod, a low-iso and very slow shutter speed. I think most people put it on bulb and let it go for 7-20 and even sometimes 30 seconds. The lights were so bright though, I thought I could pull it off.

Unfortunately, the view is not one that will get any ooohs or aaaahs as it is shot between trees and the garage and not of a lake or mountains but I still wanted to share this moment that to me was just delightful.

It was very cold and I couldn't stay out long as my fingers were freezing but once I came back in, and put away the coat and put my hands under warm water for a few moments, I returned to the window and it had all disappeared. What serendipity that I caught it out of the corner of my eye as I would have missed this incredible spectacle.

Here, one of my photos, (technically not very good and I know it) that I thought a few of you may enjoy
seeing anyways.

auroradec19_2014.jpg

Love the story, and the capture is wonderful. I agree,usually what I see is greens and blues, the color here is strong and beautiful.

Best, Bill

Antonio Correia

I have never seen such a phenomena but I would like to.

Under the circumstances and at (-) 20 you do have made a great work. It is beautiful. It must have been nice to see in real time.

I see you were not afraid of the condensations inside your camera or lens as you went from say, 20 Celsius to minus 20 Celsius ! But as you have been outside just a few minutes I hope nothing happened !

This was your Christmas present Maggie ! :)

Under the circumstances and at (-) 20 you do have made a great work. It is beautiful. It must have been nice to see in real time.

I see you were not afraid of the condensations inside your camera or lens as you went from say, 20 Celsius to minus 20 Celsius ! But as you have been outside just a few minutes I hope nothing happened !

Hi Antonio,

I was not afraid as I was not out for very long. I do sometimes go when it is very cold for a long period, so when I come back, I put my camera in a plastic bag and the condensation (if any) gets on the bag and not the camera. So camera is fine! :)

and yes, to me, this was my Christmas present. :) Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

The big issue, Antonio, is not going out in the cold, but rather coming back inside a warm room with inherent water vapor that will gradually penetrate the camera and condense inside the lenses and camera. One has to double bag the camera and lenses in plastic before going from cold to warm humid and allowing the camera to warm up and so prevent the condensation.

Asher

BTW, in tropical conditions, I use drying agents in a plastic bag and remove all the air I can before bring the camera into an air conditioned room.

Asher Kelman

auroradec19_2014.jpg

Maggie,

You have made an amazing picture. Great that you can act on impulse and wrapped yourself up sufficiently to get the picture without getting frozen!

It looks like the alien mother ship is beaming down ambassadors or worse!

Asher

Jamie White

Oh wow, I read your description before I scrolled down to the photo and didn't expect anything like that, that's an amazing picture and what a great experience. I'd love to see these lights but haven't managed it yet.

thank you Jamie and Murray.

I must admit, it was the most incredible sight of the natural world that I have ever seen. It was amazing. The actual image itself has tons of noise so not a great pic ( how I wish I had one the the newer cameras that handle high ISO so elegantly). Thank you both for your kind comments.

Asher Kelman

thank you Jamie and Murray.

I must admit, it was the most incredible sight of the natural world that I have ever seen. It was amazing. The actual image itself has tons of noise so not a great pic ( how I wish I had one the the newer cameras that handle high ISO so elegantly). Thank you both for your kind comments.

Maggie,

Yes, the newer cameras would do the trick but you also can underexpose a little then clean up in Photoshop and capture one and remove noise separately in DXO or one of the other noiseware champions.

Still, being sharp is hardly needed for conveying the magic. You have succeeded in that!

Asher