• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!
When I did the 31 day challenge, I did a photo of a soap bubble and it was very tricky to do. I ended up with a nice one, but still had to crop quite drastically as there were so many reflections I needed to cut out. So this weekend, I figured I'd try and get some bubbles without any weird reflections.

Much of Saturday, I tried many different things, including a tiny 4 inch softbox I had made that still had corner reflections. Finally yesterday, I figured a way to do them with pretty consistent results. These are just a few. I have a couple hundred to go through, (besides the couple hundred I had to throw away as I kept changing things) but I thought I'd share a few because I'm pretty pleased how well they came out. They have some clarity applied but I have not augmented the saturation or vibrance at all.

I thought I'd share a few with you.
bubble1.jpg

bubble2.jpg

bubble5.jpg

Hope you like them! :)
Maggie

Very beautiful Maggie,

They are strong in their structural presence, and the color is gorgeous! I am taking my time as I explore each planet. They are like a discovery of many new worlds.

Best, Bill

Thank you Robert, Jarmo and Bill.

When you make a bubble, it starts off pretty clear and you only get the colors once the bubble starts to break down or that you create some sort of interference.

When it breaks down by itself, it starts to make a hole somewhere near the top and it widens and the colors are simply stripes, something like a rainbow. I blow quite softly on the bubble which creates interference and make the colors change very quickly. That's where you get these wild swirls.

oh, and these bubbles are actually quite small. 1 1/2 inches wide. The images are taken with a macro lens and why you get such great detail.

Thank you all for taking a look and showing interest. It was a fun weekend, especially since we have -40C and colder temps here and I didn't want to even stick my nose outside.
:)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
When I did the 31 day challenge, I did a photo of a soap bubble and it was very tricky to do. I ended up with a nice one, but still had to crop quite drastically as there were so many reflections I needed to cut out. So this weekend, I figured I'd try and get some bubbles without any weird reflections.

Much of Saturday, I tried many different things, including a tiny 4 inch softbox I had made that still had corner reflections. Finally yesterday, I figured a way to do them with pretty consistent results. These are just a few. I have a couple hundred to go through, (besides the couple hundred I had to throw away as I kept changing things) but I thought I'd share a few because I'm pretty pleased how well they came out. They have some clarity applied but I have not augmented the saturation or vibrance at all.

bubble1.jpg

At last, Maggie!

Very clever of you! To those who still claim that the landing on the moon was staged by a NASA-CIA team on rocky planes high in the New Zealand mountain ranges, this now provides a detailed understanding of how NASA also forges views of Jupiter's moons. I knew someone would work it out. The results are pretty much identical. Now the question, what exactly does NASA really do with all that money?

Magnificent!

Asher

bubble1.jpg

At last, Maggie!

Very clever of you! To those who still claim that the landing on the moon was staged by a NASA-CIA team on rocky planes high in the New Zealand mountain ranges, this now provides a detailed understanding of how NASA also forges views of Jupiter's moons. I knew someone would work it out. The results are pretty much identical. Now the question, what exactly does NASA really do with all that money?

Magnificent!

Asher

Thank you, Asher.
I actually have a few that are more in the beige/rust colors and would work pretty well for those. :-D

glad you enjoyed them
Maggie

Antonio Correia

I love the images. All of them !
To achieve such results you must concentrate and persist until you get a nice result.
Very nice indeed !
You say minus (-) 40 Centigrades, Maggie ? Bbbbrrrrr
I also liked Asher's joke about NASA-CIA team ! I also saw that video LOL

It is something like denying global warming ... poor souls ! How naive they are !

I love the images. All of them !
To achieve such results you must concentrate and persist until you get a nice result.
Very nice indeed !
You say minus (-) 40 Centigrades, Maggie ? Bbbbrrrrr
I also liked Asher's joke about NASA-CIA team ! I also saw that video LOL

It is something like denying global warming ... poor souls ! How naive they are !

Thank you, Antonio. Yes. you have to concentrate and focus manually and try to help the swirls appear. I also had to build a round box (well, normally a box would be square) but to create a type of soft box that has no edges to be reflected in the bubble. It was an interesting adventure and fun. I have figured out an even better way to do them, but I would have to spend 50-60 dollars and then modify anyways but since this was mostly an experiment and not something I see myself doing more than a few times; I'm happy with my home-made concoction that works fairly well.

As for the temperature, today it is much better -13 and -20 with the wind but still - I still find it too cold. And as you say about global warming, so many people just do not understand that the wild cold temperatures we are getting is because of climate change. This summer we may have +32 or more several times during the summer. The weather is quite extreme.

Rachel McLain

Love these! I have tons of fun with soap bubbles! Are these shot indoors? (I usually am shooting outdoors and have to fight off my dog who likes to eat them!! LOL!)

Rach

Rachel McLain

Nevermind I read more and saw they are inside. You might try shooting them outside. They freeze and that's fun to shoot, too. (Not that I get a lot of chances for that in Oregon!).

Rach

Nevermind I read more and saw they are inside. You might try shooting them outside. They freeze and that's fun to shoot, too. (Not that I get a lot of chances for that in Oregon!).

Rach

I've not tried that and hadn't even thought of it but it seems like a cool idea. I wonder if you can make them and crack them just a bit. Right now the weather is very cold and I may not want to try it until it's still freezing but not quite as cold. But thanks for the great idea.
Maggie

Hello Maggie

Cool ! Maybe try a bit of motor oil in some water for some wild colour. Just a thought.

James

I would love to be able to blow some motor oil bubbles,but don't think that would work but I do like the idea of getting the pretty wild colosr.. maybe some drops of oil floating on water might work. Good suggestion!
Maggie