• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Let me bother you with my portraits

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"Forget your Perfect Offering"

Yesterday evening after a conference Francisco Louçã.

i-6vg9FXj-X2.jpg

Light is supposed to play around the dimensions of the face. That's how we get the great builds in your portraits. Look at this one, in particular. If you fussed too much with the brightest areas of the face and right hand, the "presence" of the portrait would be diminished.

In the song by Leonard Cohen, "There's a crack in everything, that's where the light comes in!" means that if we close all the cracks, and try to perfect everything, we'd exclude the light and have no reality. So, he says, "Forget your perfect offering!"......and stay till, "closing Time"!

Thanks goodness you were not worried about this fellow, as he is still alive!

Asher

Antonio Correia

How could I have - ever - missed Leonard Cohen ?!
Thank you for the link ! Leonard is a pleasure to listen to ! :)

Something very different I have done Friday evening in a conference about painting.

i-KRRx6cj-X2.jpg

James Lemon

Another photograph for my project "Gente cá da terra"

Looks like another winner Antonio! Will these portraits be displayed somewhere as a framed set.. other than OPF? I also noticed that you have a wider matt on the bottom of the frame..it looks good!

I saw a set of pictures B/W images displayed at a hospital and after walking by them about a half a dozen times on different occasions. I noticed that all of the frames were the same size regardless of the size of composition and picture and the matting varied in widths' to make up the difference and it looked rather unique.

Antonio Correia

Thank you James for your lines. :)
This time I decided that next time :) I would be using a humble softbox left for ages in the cupboard. I want to avoid the dark areas on the face and get some more homogeneous lighting on faces. However, I can not make very different approaches to these portraits... Well... why not ?
Indeed, this set is all more or less with the same light or kind of.
I have 23 photos of selected people and I want to keep on. I also want the collection or series if you wish, to be homogenous. Oh I said this before !
I always use two or three proportions of crops. 1/1. 3/4 and 3/5.
The border in the bottom is always larger than the others.

What do I do these portraits for ?
For nothing ! Well... not exactly :) Only to leave a legacy of the people I am contemporary of. What will happen to these images ? I do not know.
Anybody interested in them ? None as much as I know.
Is the series elitist in the sense of only getting teachers, professors, doctors and so on ?
Yes it is. Assumingly !
I do have some 10 more people in line. Jose Mourinho the football coach is one of them. He is very hard to get !
Next week I hope to shoot three. They are contacted but not booked until this moment.
This series is endless. No, it will end when I will not be able to hold the camera.
The series is printed in A5 folios I keep for myself.

Perhaps I have told all this before...
:)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Antonio,

Thank you James for your lines. :)
This time I decided that next time :) I would be using a humble softbox left for ages in the cupboard. I want to avoid the darke areas on the face and get some more homogenuous lighting on faces. However, I can not make very different approaches to these portraits... Well... why not ?
Indeed, this set is all more or less with the same light or kind of.
I have 23 photos of selected people and I want to keep on. I also want the collection or series if you wish, to be homogenous. Oh I said this before !
I always use two or three proportions of crops. 1/1. 3/4 and 3/5.
The border in the bottom is always larger than the others.

What do I do these portraits for ?
For nothing ! Well... not exactly :) Only to leave a legacy of the people I am contemporary of. What will happen to these images ? I do not know.
Anybody interested in them ? None as much as I know.
Is the series elitist in the sense of only getting teachers, professors, doctors and so on ?
Yes it is. Assumingly !
I do have some 10 more people in line. Jose Mourinho the football coach is one of them. He is very hard to get !
Next week I hope to shoot three. They are contacted but not booked until this moment.
This series is endless. No, it will end when I will not be able to hold the camera.
The series is printed in A5 folios I keep for myself.

Perhaps I have told all this before...
:)

The entire project is wondrous in so many ways.

You make these portraits because it is a good thing to do.

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Today, a different approach.
A small group went for a walk in the countryside and we had a stop for a coffee.

I photograph this absent minded gentleman ...

23291635542_515f25b20f_c.jpg

Asher Kelman

Today, a different approach.
A small group went for a walk in the countryside and we had a stop for a coffee.

I photograph this absent minded gentleman ...

23291635542_515f25b20f_c.jpg

He looks like he's reminiscing, not absent-minded. In fact, taking stock is a great aspect of our make up and capability to self-assess!

.....and it's a wonderful worthy portrait!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Perhaps:

"What the hell is she doing here"?

Or perhaps:

"I've seen that derrière before - just can't recollect where."

Fabulous portrait, Antonio,

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

I made this photograph back in January 2014 to my project "Gente cá da terra" / "Our people"
The young man is an artist in the Cirque du Soleil. I asked quite a few times for his CV but nothing...
Today I received it. I recovered the image as I have done it then.
When I look at it now it looks the hand is a bit too bright problem which is quickly solved.
Thank you for watching !

22819566414_35f1499f40_b.jpg

Antonio Correia

Thank you Doug. Hope it's OK now. I think I have erased it accidently. :(

As I can't edit the post here it is. Thank you ! :)

And back to my duotone !

23080490599_d9cebd3250_b.jpg

Antonio Correia

Today I shot with the old 5D and the 70-200 for the "Gente cá da terra" for the image above
Later, as my grand-son is here, I used the same flash at the same distance with the same power to photograph him with the Panasonic GX7 + Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH lens.
I was amazed by the quality of the image.
23478715965_8c3a208772_b.jpg

23452624876_76945e2830_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

Today's work: "Gente cá da terra" / Our people

22851298443_72a0d4bae7_b.jpg

Do you say, "My good friend, this picture will show you to the world for generations to come, so have your wife starch the shirt and iron it perfectly!" Or he just arrives like this, looking like he owns his own hotel and a farm and had 8 grandchildren!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Today I shot with the old 5D and the 70-200 for the "Gente cá da terra" for the image above
Later, as my grand-son is here, I used the same flash at the same distance with the same power to photograph him with the Panasonic GX7 + Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH lens.
I was amazed by the quality of the image.
23478715965_8c3a208772_b.jpg

23452624876_76945e2830_b.jpg

What a view of a grand little fellow! No words, just feelings!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you James. :)

He was talking to me and I was telling him I was fine tuning the flashes, what in fact, was not true ! :)

I always set up the whole thing before I receive some one :)

What a view of a grand little fellow! No words, just feelings!

Asher

Oh, Antonio... I must have missed this one. Your grandchild with his beautiful eyes. What a great photo and such a natural thing for a child to do. Your work is always so fabulous, be it professional portraits or photos of your family!

:) Maggie

Asher Kelman

Another simple portrait from my series, "Gente cá da Terra" = "Our people"

i-xtg6vrK-XL.jpg

Hello Antonio,

This fellow's pose is surprisingly different. In no way is he chilling out, satisfied with what he does and has already achieved. He's poised but so alert. Maybe, strategizing and wound up, ready to exploit any gap and pounce on any opportunity to advance! That's what my impression is, but is it true?

Asher