• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Curate for OPF: “The Photograph”: What makes these pictures worth treasuring?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have borrowed a number of pictures that are impressive to me. What characteristics justify choosing them for preserving and what might they save forcus?

Fahim Mohammed: Untitled

Jerome Marot: Untitled

Robert Watcher: Untitled

I would appreciate so much you sharing your thoughts and adding any picture you have ever seen in OPF or that you have not yet shared that is equally deserving of getting into this imaginary “vault” to treasure for our society.

They must “belong” in characteristics and some common significant parameters to this set.

Later there will be other different sets we will jointly curate, I promise!

Thanks!

Asher

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

All look terrific images ! I do not know which I like most. Perhaps the second one is the most engaging as it makes us think about all the persons involved.

I am not sure if I can include this photo of mines among such a choice. The fact is that is that I was adjusting the camera when this lady on the left side came and start praying. I was lucky as the light dropped down on her. I was lucky. Sometimes it happens.
i-Wg9dVQW-X2.jpg

Robert Watcher

I particularly like the third image (Jerome Margot: Untitled) for it’s intimacy and involvement.

Although I suspect that these may be friends or acquaintances, and that the photographer was sitting there with them - to have this kind of access.

It would be very difficult to accomplish as a street photographer - walking up and sticking a camera in a few inches away from the subjects (based on the wide angle lens being used) and having them not pay attention to the photographer and maybe not even scowl or be annoyed with him.

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

My feelings on all 3 photos from Fahim (or his wife - not sure anymore), is that the potential is there in each one for a story - and I can recognize the intent —- but all three to my eye are very static and taken from a standing eye level perspective where there is little interaction between the elements.

By looking for a better vantage point, everything could have come together for images with more impact. Example with the last pic of boys playing soccer, I could see myself moving to the left where the onlooking children could have been included in the scene behind the running boys. Maybe a lower angle would have more dynamic or dramatic effect as the boys are chasing after the ball. Or if wasn’t concerned with the onlooking children, moving to a vantage point more to the right, could provide some dramatic backlighting that may enhance the boys, soccer ball, columns and building.

Even if it didn’t make much difference, I would have explored it. This would apply equally to the other two images as well. But again —- its just my opinion.

Robert Watcher

All look terrific images ! I do not know which I like most. Perhaps the second one is the most engaging as it makes us think about all the persons involved.

I am not sure if I can include this photo of mines among such a choice. The fact is that is that I was adjusting the camera when this lady on the left side came and start praying. I was lucky as the light dropped down on her. I was lucky. Sometimes it happens.
i-Wg9dVQW-X2.jpg
Drama, beautiful lighting and interesting composition. Some dodging and burning could certainly direct the eye. But overall, very nice capture. I like this.

Antonio Correia

I particularly like the third image (Jerome Margot: Untitled) for it’s intimacy and involvement.

Although I suspect that these may be friends or acquaintances, and that the photographer was sitting there with them - to have this kind of access.

It would be very difficult to accomplish as a street photographer - walking up and sticking a camera in a few inches away from the subjects (based on the wide angle lens being used) and having them not pay attention to the photographer and maybe not even scowl or be annoyed with him.
Perhaps Jerome was in silence mode among friends and having the camera on the table all the time...

Asher Kelman

Perhaps Jerome was in silence mode among friends and having the camera on the table all the time...

Antonio,

Greetings,

1. Re silent mode: In restaurants and the Munich Beer Gardens, one can do exactly that, especially with cameras with adjustable screen angles. After 30 minutes, that camera is forgotten. A remote is even better!

2. Re: your Church Picture.

Antonio Correia: Untitled​

This works for me too; thanks

The suggestions for further adjustments, (even going monochrome), are always a delicate matter, but here in curating allowable as there now is a kind of a marriage between the artist and creation of the collection. In such “intimacy”, sometimes, it’s valid and entirely worth exploring, further tweaking, as the picture is significant, will be kept a long time and can add more to our sense of human behavior.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks folk for this great start. Please draw on you memories or explore for 5-8 minutes and identify gems we should know about.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Robert I sincerely like the way it is. Two persons, two religious activities ... :)

And I respect that 100%. Still in the sacred circumstances of a collection, (as in a marriage bed), one can always probe! Other times one might get desired acquiescence ....but then there’s a substantial chance of a stinging rebuke!

Thanks for considering suggestions with magnanimity!

Asher

Robert Watcher

And I respect that 100%. Still in the sacred circumstances of a collection, (as in a marriage bed), one can always probe! Other times one might get desired acquiescence ....but then there’s a substantial chance of a stinging rebuke!

Thanks for considering suggestions with magnanimity!

Asher

My response to Antonio’s photo is that I find it to be a very nice capture. Dramatic, beautiful lighting and interesting composition. I like it. ;)

The balance of my comment means nothing more than expressing my opinion that all photographic images benefit from standard darkroom techniques like dodging and burning. I’m not talking about decisions to convert to B&W or other such personal choices. (y)

Asher Kelman

“@ Asher: my name does not include a "g", can you please correct it?”

Jerome,

Thanks for catching my typo! Marot is bespoke as it is!

Asher

Antonio Correia

The image of the church has been worked in LR and CC as many of those I make.
I concentrated on both persons included in the frame - they were in fact the only people in the church at the moment - leaving however, some detail on the other areas.
I have not considered to change it to black and white.
Thank you for commenting ! :)