• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographic Gems of Our Times From The Web Photos That Changed History!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The BBC web site is often a source of fine photography. Here Alberto Korda’s work and signal works of others are explained!

Tom dinning

Registrant*

The heading for this thread don’t make sense.

Liars change history. By its very nature, history is in the past. Images record the present and take it into the future.
For an image ito change history it would need to alter in some way.

Perhaps a better title might be Photographs that record history.

That being said, this image certainly is historic in its contents.
I remember seeing it when I was a boy. My father explained its making. Then he played some Monk and smoked a cigarette. There’s a humanity shown here that, even to this day when I hear jazz, I can relate back to how I felt this day when I first saw the collective of the greatest jazz players of their time.

Asher Kelman

I think “Changed History” has the colloquial metaphorical meaning of “publicizing an event and searing it into the long term consciousness of our culture in a lasting manner........as if it was the act of an historian actually writing down the importance of the event!

So, the BBC writers used the words exactly as language allows.

Asher

Jerome Marot

For an image ito change history it would need to alter in some way.

"Migrant mother" by Dorethea Lange undoubtedly changed history. The picture was commission work from the Farm Security Administration to document the state of rural communities. That picture, amongst other, influenced further new deal policies.

Asher Kelman

One picture turned Gary Hart’s life upside down and obliterated his path to the Presidency of the USA.

The boat was named, “Monkey Business”
Historians and commentators assert they it changed history!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, this image is very "American" or I am an ignorant ! Last one most probable.
Here, two images. I hope everyone knows what they mean and what they represent. Le bottom one is by Ansel Adams.

shutterstock_shutterstock_251930719-554x380.jpg

64c57e72-c9fe-45a7-a39d-984b9f83c157.jpg

Asher Kelman

I recognized the first picture, Antonio!

“WASHINGTON, Aug. 6 (UPI) -- The first atomic bomb to be used as a weapon was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, on Aug. 6, 1945, but Americans wouldn't know the extent of the devastation for another three weeks when reporters were allowed into the city to survey the scene.

A UPI article from that day says the results of the bomb were still not known, "but military men here said the bomb's potentialities stagger the imagination."

Tokyo radio reports also couldn't put any hard figures on the losses, but said the event had caused so much damage that the atomic bomb "is sufficient to brand the enemy in the ages to come as the destroyer of mankind." Officials there initially believed the Americans had dropped multiple bombs on the city, thinking the destruction was simply too great to come from a single weapon.

Bodies were so badly burnt and beaten by the heat and collapsing structures that for days Japanese authorities couldn't even identify the gender of some victims. History would eventually show an estimated 80,000 people died immediately in the blast, a toll that -- due to injuries and radiation -- rose to about 140,000 by the end of the year.”

So Hiroshima proved that with our new dragon fire we could destroy ourselves in a single flash!

That merits “historical”!

Asher

Antonio Correia

I think that they did know the devastation a bomb like that could do... I read somewhere and not only once, that experiments were done with US militar personnel.
Well... the Humans in action, in fact ! Sad !
-

Asher Kelman

I think that they did know the devastation a bomb like that could do... I read somewhere and not only once, that experiments were done with US militar personnel.
Well... the Humans in action, in fact ! Sad !
-
This not only recorder history happening but this iconic revelation wine and critically, this picture of the napalmed burning girl,

brought the “unheroic war” to living-rooms the immorality of our “allies”. These image forced us look at our own behavior and morals be shocked with outrage and shame!

Asher

Asher, this image is very "American" or I am an ignorant ! Last one most probable.
Here, two images. I hope everyone knows what they mean and what they represent. Le bottom one is by Ansel Adams.

shutterstock_shutterstock_251930719-554x380.jpg

64c57e72-c9fe-45a7-a39d-984b9f83c157.jpg
Antonio, Ansel Adam's image is of Manzanar (WWII internment camp) in Inyo Co, CA. The background is Mt Whitney.

Asher Kelman

Doug Kerr

Well, first, I think the description ". . .that changed history" isn't really broadly apt. But I guess we know what is meant.

Of course, in a very fine sense, any photo changes history. If I this morning see a photo of some camera, history today is different than if I didn't see it. But of course that isn't really what is being spoken of here.

But that aside, there is no question but that certain photos have made a tremendous mark on our grasp of history, probably mostly because of their topic, often aided by skilled photography, and then the final link, it having been widely publicized (which of course today happens in far different ways than when the American flag was raised on Iwo Jima).

And there certainly are cases where, for example, some photo has brought public awareness to some ill leading to a movement to change some law or policy. And maybe that is true to some degree of some of the pictures presented in this thread. I would like to think that Eddie Adams' iconic photo of Nguyen Ngoc Loan shooting Nguyen Van Lem in Saigon (presented above) would have ultimately lead to our nation relearning about not only the horror of war but about its futility. But although it certainly contributed to a malaise (to use a mild term) that almost destroyed this country, that passed, and today, the only difference is that we have been mired in a war for longer than ever before for our nation.

In any case, thanks to my colleagues here for bringing to us the extraordinary photographs in this thread.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Antonio,

I think more than that - likely "assembled". The reason is that it seems hardly possible that the sling could have been swung given where the flag is.

But none of that takes away from this being a fabulous image. After all, for many years, before the practical onset of photography, all our images of great events were "assembled" (by putting paint on canvas).

Thanks for this great picture.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

For sure, Senator Kerry, a honorable veteran was likely to be President. Disclosure of “Monkey Business” in a single photo did likely change the course of history!

Asher

Antonio Correia

"Exactly!
It’s blackmail to get funds from Quatar. Hamas organizes these “demonstrations”, instead of doing what 250,000 Israeli Arabs do in Jerusalem, that is work and lovingly look after their families!
This is an idiotic, self-inflicted situation fueled by hatred!
They are so rich in resources and should be wealthy exporting gas and oil to Europe and Egypt!
Asher"

The Human race/being in it's best ! :mad:

Have you been looking to the fabulous work of Nick Brandt ? Or to Edward Burtynsky and his exceptional work ?

Asher Kelman

"Exactly!
It’s blackmail to get funds from Quatar. Hamas organizes these “demonstrations”, instead of doing what 250,000 Israeli Arabs do in Jerusalem, that is work and lovingly look after their families!
This is an idiotic, self-inflicted situation fueled by hatred!
They are so rich in resources and should be wealthy exporting gas and oil to Europe and Egypt!
Asher"

The Human race/being in it's best ! :mad:

Have you been looking to the fabulous work of Nick Brandt ? Or to Edward Burtynsky and his exceptional work ?
Let’s discuss them both in a new thread!

Fabulous links! You are getting like Jerome in expanding our horizons!

So stimulating and valuable. Like birthday presents, LOL!

Remind me if it they don’t appear in new threads shortly!

Asher