• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Secret Light of Flowers

JimCollum

pro member
Mounting a Sony A7R to a 4x5 view camera and using old portrait lenses ( thank you Jim Galli) dating from 1890 to 1920, I started a series of IR still life’s of a variety of flowers.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are so marvelous! I am so impressed at the multi step ingenuity and imagination that must go into this splendid a hievement!

Kudos!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Mounting a Sony A7R to a 4x5 view camera and using old portrait lenses ( thank you Jim Galli) dating from 1890 to 1920, I started a series of IR still life’s of a variety of flowers.

Jim,

I focus on this picture because it has the extra uniqueness of implying a white rose imprisoned by thorns.

In a way, to me this is a female version of a Christ with thorns imaginary paradigm. It’s a kind of container for goodness under threat and imprisoned.

A picture that gathers the thoughts of the observer in any manner like this is far more worthy of saving that a simple record of what is by the wayside.

This imaginary photograph evokes our own creative musing and sparks ideas from what we bring to it!

Fabulous work.

How large can it be printed and what size is most powerful?

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
Editions are sold in 7x7, 12x12, and 20x20

I’m also going to try using alt process. Probably platinum over cyanotype

Jim Galli

Fabulous Jim! Asher's talking about where your mind goes . . .

Mine immediately went here. He see's Christ with thorns, I see a thermonuclear explosion. A cautionary tale either way. Fantastic art.

Asher Kelman

Jim,

How does the beautiful ghostly pink arise? Is this from near infra red?

What’s the filter set you use so it ends up this way? Is the A7R, itself, modified?

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Jim

These are truly amazing and super creative !! I Love them... I do not believe I have ever seen this kind of creation before. Each flower has its own name . Each flower tells its own story The bunch would look great all together as well Great job Nice work!

Charlotte

Asher Kelman

What frequency range did you specify? What do you like the most about your setup and what have you learned about this mode of viewing things?

Asher

Jerome Marot

These certainly look nice. Presumably, the ancient optics are not corrected for IR so the IR part bleeds a bit, which adds a kind of dreamy feel to the images. The subjects are aptly chosen as well. Well done!

JimCollum

pro member
These certainly look nice. Presumably, the ancient optics are not corrected for IR so the IR part bleeds a bit, which adds a kind of dreamy feel to the images. The subjects are aptly chosen as well. Well done!

Right, not IR corrected. Also I use old portrait lenses, Wollensak velostigmst series II, Cooke portrait, Veritos, Heliar, and some old no-name meniscus lenses I obtained from our local drug.....err lens supplier. Mr Galli.

JimCollum

pro member
What frequency range did you specify? What do you like the most about your setup and what have you learned about this mode of viewing things?

Asher
I got the enhanced color Ir. 675nm). I like mounting it on my 4x5. I have old vintage lenses that render differently than any fixed lens made for 35mm or medium format.

Asher Kelman

I got the enhanced color Ir. 675nm). I like mounting it on my 4x5. I have old vintage lenses that render differently than any fixed lens made for 35mm or medium format.
Jim,

Such a treat! What a clever use of vintage lenses. I should try this before I sell off my lenses to pay for my addiction to working in steel!

I can’t say enough how happy this careful artistry in photography makes me! The crafted pleasure you deliver is unique, worthy of collection and generously shared!

Mistresses would be an alternative, but unfortunately require so much effort and secrecy.

Here I can enjoy “fantaasms”, openly and guiltless!

Asher