• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Helpful Hints/D.I.Y.: Ringlite prototype location night fashion street photoshoot

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Here’s what you’ve all been waiting for my first actual photo shoot with my new godox AD200PRO ringlite!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wow!

Very different: rich color, sharp focus and no red eye!

Also I like the model and how you shot him!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The results are quite good. Who is the model?
Jerome,

Results quite good: it’s gratifying, I am sure, for Will to hear your positive impression. he’s devoted much thought and effort to this and even worked through the night a day ago!

I’ve been following his every step, first over the phone daily and then seeing the results with you here. His of how flash workings is impressive!

He points out that it’s the camera, of course, that does all the light measurement. Godox, with its camera-MFR-specific controller, collects the metering data from the preflash. So Will’s system lapels for any modern camera that can use a Canon Macro lens.

So far I have routinely use the AF Canon lenses on Canon Eos, Sony A7 and Fuji GFX series cameras!

More fabulous than that is the ability to add extra Godox-triggered groups of flashes to light different elements of a scene.

So one can use the ring light for the model and then a group of strobes for the distant street b.g. to the right and another set of you wish for some part of a building behind and above the subject.

Or a band on a stage can be lit with lights on either side for the back ground drums, keyboard and guitars, while the lead singer is lit perfectly from the ring flash!

Amazingly we are dealing with 400 volt flash tubes, that can be meted to the versatile Godox power “brick”.

As a refinement, Will has built in two powerful 0.5 Watt LED focusing lights.

As to the Model, Jérôme, that’s just the person who turned up following Will’s casting call on Model Mayhem. To get such a model, they have to be sufficiently impressed with the photographer’s portfolio.

Obviously, Will was able sufficiently impress this great fellow!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jérôme,

“Quite good!”

Does that mean “sufficiently good” or is there some significant reservation.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I want one!!

Will is now set to build a Godox-controlled Canon ML-3 Ring Flash for me to use on my Fuji GFX with the Canon Macro Lenses.

I plan to first try it out for control with my Fuji.

I will then redesign and 3D print the ring light case to fit over most all common lenses for Canon, Fuji or Sony. We would it via the camera’s tripod!

Thanks in advance for further comments and ideas!

Asher

Asher Kelman

No reservations on my part.
Great!

So, I have just ordered the parts for my own copy of Will’s Canon ring light mod.

The key to this possibility is the happenstance choice Canon engineers made decades ago to source curved tubes that worked at 400 volts! That matches the Godox output by another chance decision by Godox!

Amazing to me that I will have a shadowless lightweight light for my Fuji GFX and the Canon 50 mm 2.5 Macro I found to go with it!
Asher