• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Night shots

Jim Olson

Better with or without enhancement

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Now that I see them I think I just answered my own question.
So which do you prefer?

The bright one shows more stars!

It’s the constellation, Orion,....... (my dear friend, Nicolas Claris suggested that to me!)

The trick is to brighter the lightest points and darken the spaces in between!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Yes I do think it is Orion.
It's a constellation that you see very well when crossing Atlantic Ocean, in November/December it goes not very high above the horizon and goes (so to speak) from East to West (of course).
I took it many times as my friend during my long stays at night while having an eye on the boat route and sails trim…

Regarding the tech aspect, I do think that your exposure is far too long and then the image (the 1st one on this post) is quite overexposed.
It also might show bad pixels (looking as stars, but false)
Then the file is 40Kb only, this means that it is far too compressed and it is the reason why we see the banding in the lower part…

Night shot have something magic, doing and experiencing, you'll get amazing shots!

Last edited:

Jim Olson

So which do you prefer?

The bright one shows more stars!

It’s the constellation, Orion,....... (my dear friend, Nicolas Claris suggested that to me!)

The trick is to brighter the lightest points and darken the spaces in between!

Asher
I like the dark one but yes, there is more stars in the lighter one. So I need to hit a happy medium. I'll try again.

Jim Olson

It is Orion, I have to apps on my phone for stars.
I did play with the photo a little & still not happy with it.
We are leaving to drive to Canada tomorrow (& yes I'm taking my camera) so I won't be on for a bit. It not like we really have a long drive, it's just our daughter will be here visiting from college & no real time to play on the computer.
I hope to have a lot of amazing pictures when I get back in a few days.

Asher Kelman

I like the dark one but yes, there is more stars in the lighter one. So I need to hit a happy medium. I'll try again.
I don’t understand what you have done. Whatcwascthe original file sizrcand format.

You should at least be taking in the largest jpg and the highest finest quality.

Better still use RAW files. Tgat means the file name will end in something like .CRW

Was that what you started with?

It could be that you already have the original files in RAW format, but that you converted to tiny compressed low quality jpgs and yourself, unwittingly created the banding that is evident.

If you have the RAW files, likely as not they are just fine and only need to be processed effectively.

So let us know what files you recorded in before reshooting, as that might not be necessary!

Asher

Asher Kelman

It is Orion, I have to apps on my phone for stars.
I did play with the photo a little & still not happy with it.

Jim,

You just have to get used to working with these files and deciding how best to keep the celestial formations but quell the noise and got pixels which bedevil sky photography at night!

You may want to look into taking a dark field shot as the baseline to subtract the hot pixels when are not exploding supernovae or extra stars!

We are leaving to drive to Canada tomorrow (& yes I'm taking my camera) so I won't be on for a bit. It not like we really have a long drive, .....

Drive safely!

.....it's just our daughter will be here visiting from college & no real time to play on the computer.
I hope to have a lot of amazing pictures when I get back in a few days.

Wonderful to spend time with your daughter. This is your reward for being good parents!

Asher