• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street - Black and White

Robert Watcher

Antigua, Guatemala - Olympus E-M10 w/14-42mm

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So much vibrant life!

I hope you are able to chat occasionally!

What’s the chances they would understand English, even just basic conversation terms?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
What’s the chances they would understand English, even just basic conversation terms?
In all countries, if you're open minded and show it with your behavior, even if you don't speak the local language, with a few words, with eyes and hands gestures you may exchange a lot of feelings… I experienced that in Russia (USSR at the time), Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Greece, Turkey, Japan…
Body language is universal!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

Robert Watcher

Cool shots of street life Robert!
Guatemala is a land of colors, can you explain your BW choice for this series?
On some shots the camera seems to be quite low, did you shoot with your camera in hand with the arms out?
Did they notice you were capturing them?

Thank You

Colour in the scene wasn’t a factor in these pics - more the interactions or expressions . Obviously I shoot a lot of colour images in these countries, and shooting every day I like having a mix of styles to keep from getting bored.

I use mirrorless cameras and am generally shooting from chest or belly level with the flip out screen. I also use it often to shoot from a higer level or overhead. Even when the camera position is higher, I am viewing through the flip our screen. Only on occasion do I shoot at eye level looking through the EVF.

Quite often people notice me, take a peek at my camera and what I am doing, and carry on. Many of these shots I’m standing just a few feet from them. Often I stop and just stand there in the middle of the commotion, as people pass around me - for however long it takes - to see if heads move into open spaces or something interesting develops. My small cameras and way of handling them helps a lot with not drawing attention to myself (not sure how that happens when I am a 6 foot 250 pound foreigner LOL). When they look at me, I smile and acknowledge them.

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

So much vibrant life!

I hope you are able to chat occasionally!

Asher

Like Nicolas mentioned - I communicate with body language. It is this month of Feb, 12 years ago (2008) that Anne and I started our journeys in Central America without knowing the language. My way of approaching and acknowledging people I meet - not my way of speaking - is what has worked for me Over these years in half a dozen different countries and cultures.

In fact body-language communication was a huge part of my method with my professional portrait and editorial work with people who only spoke English. I set environments and moods and gave very little verbal direction. Thanks for asking.