• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

GIMP AND RAW THERAPEE.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm working on it.
It'll give me something to do during voluntary isolation.
Not that it takes much encouragement to keep the doors locked.
I don't care about my own company most days. I care for others even less.

Since the stock market has bitten a gaping hole in my savings I went for the free options for processing after disengaging from Adobe.

Currently, I've downloaded the aforementioned with some hiccups.
I haven't managed to connect the raw processor directly to GIMP. There's a box for it but it's not working.
I have looked at a couple of videos on Therapee and have managed to figure out most. It seems reasonably self-explanatory and logical.
I'm not saying it's perfect but it will do. I'm sure I'll improve over the next couple of years lockdown.

Gimp also seems OK. I'm a bit slow at the moment. I'm sure it will do everything I need. I just haven't found out how yet.

File handling is a bit messy and my workflow is being constantly interrupted by requests for coffee, food, advice, and abuse for not doing something I should have done.
Christine still hasn't realised the 'do tomorrow what could have been done today' approach.
I think its a MAN thing.

In my playtime over the past two days, I came up with this:
It ain't no award winner but it contains the basics: crop, perspective control, B&W conversion, image size reduction, dodging, level controls, sharpening frame.

As I said earlier. I'm working on it.

I'll keep you informed.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I’ve discovered something rather peculiar.

If I stare at a computer screen long enough I find answers.
Actually, they find me.

I’ve finally got Gimp and Raw Therapee running like .... mm! Let’s say ‘a live chook in a kennel’.

I do find it awkward. I turn right, it turns sort of rightish. I crop, it hesitates until it’s OK with what I’m about to do. I select, it squeezes a few lemons then picks an avocado.

But it is keeping me indoors.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I’ve discovered something rather peculiar.

If I stare at a computer screen long enough I find answers.
Actually, they find me.

I’ve finally got Gimp and Raw Therapee running like .... mm! Let’s say ‘a live chook in a kennel’.

I do find it awkward. I turn right, it turns sort of rightish. I crop, it hesitates until it’s OK with what I’m about to do. I select, it squeezes a few lemons then picks an avocado.

But it is keeping me indoors.
Natural selection at work?

...... where initially seemingly almost random selection decisions eventually deliver unexpected work you like!

Asher