• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I tried Live View on the moon last night

Jim Olson

Expo Time 1/500, Aperture 7.38 EV (f/12.9) ISO 3200

IMG_0376 E-6 C16 S16 crop.jpg

Jim Olson

Jim,
Nice Moon!
I guess you used a tripod or any stabilizing support (wall, rock, window, chair on table etc.)
Then you could have shoot with a much lower speed, and a wider aperture that would have let you set the ISO far lower and there would be much less noise if any…
That's the kind of things I need to know & remember when I'm out shooting...
I'm keeping notes. I will add that to my notepad
TNX

Robert Watcher

As Nicolas mentioned, there is no real need for such a small Aperture as f12.9 when you are so far away from the subject. You could open your Aperture to its widest number such as say f5.6 or f6.3 if you have a slow zoom lens - or even f8 for a tad more sharpness —- and that would mean that you can shoot at lower ISO settings or even a combination of lower ISO and faster shutter speed, if you are having problems with subject movement. Example Based on your current settings, using f6.3 would allow you to use 800ISO which would result in a lot less noise. Or if a combination f6.3 would provide the same exposure values using 1600ISO along with 1/1,000’th of a second shutter speed.

A mistake many make when wanting to shoot the moon - is in thinking it is a dark object requiring slow shutter speeds and high ISO values. The fact is that the moon is roughly the same brightness as the earth is at mid day full sun. Of course cloud or haze or other obstacles and even being obscured by an eclipse will require different settings —- but in general most people end up overexposing moon shots. This will always be the case if using Auto Exposure without Exposure Compensation, because the meter tries to compensate for the dark background by brightening the exposure value.

Personally I have never had the need to use a tripod as I can shoot the moon with a high enough shutter speed. But that is a personal preference. Hopefully you will learn how to reduce or remove the “color noise” in your processing software. That is quite distracting. Practice will help. You made a nice effort. Keep it up.

Jim Olson

As Nicolas mentioned, there is no real need for such a small Aperture as f12.9 when you are so far away from the subject. You could open your Aperture to its widest number such as say f5.6 or f6.3 if you have a slow zoom lens - or even f8 for a tad more sharpness —- and that would mean that you can shoot at lower ISO settings or even a combination of lower ISO and faster shutter speed, if you are having problems with subject movement. Example Based on your current settings, using f6.3 would allow you to use 800ISO which would result in a lot less noise. Or if a combination f6.3 would provide the same exposure values using 1600ISO along with 1/1,000’th of a second shutter speed.

A mistake many make when wanting to shoot the moon - is in thinking it is a dark object requiring slow shutter speeds and high ISO values. The fact is that the moon is roughly the same brightness as the earth is at mid day full sun. Of course cloud or haze or other obstacles and even being obscured by an eclipse will require different settings —- but in general most people end up overexposing moon shots. This will always be the case if using Auto Exposure without Exposure Compensation, because the meter tries to compensate for the dark background by brightening the exposure value.

Personally I have never had the need to use a tripod as I can shoot the moon with a high enough shutter speed. But that is a personal preference. Hopefully you will learn how to reduce or remove the “color noise” in your processing software. That is quite distracting. Practice will help. You made a nice effort. Keep it up.
Thank you for that. I will try it tonight.
As for software edits, I'm still learning lol

Jim Olson

I took this shot last night but made a rookie mistake
I let the auto focus do it's thing & it focused on the tree & not the moon :(

IMG_0390 E-3 C8 S6 crop.jpg