• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Very good news.

I wish they explained the science of their project. What kind of vaccine: live, dead, mRNA, protein, other virus carrier, lipid encapsulated antigen. What?

What is the previous experience and success?

But every center helps as we have no idea which will give any immunity and which can attach the virus and which can even make the virus more infectious?

We need lots of alternatives as we have the majority of populations uninfected and immunologically naive!

Asher

James Lemon

Very good news.

I wish they explained the science of their project. What kind of vaccine: live, dead, mRNA, protein, other virus carrier, lipid encapsulated antigen. What?

What is the previous experience and success?

But every center helps as we have no idea which will give any immunity and which can attach the virus and which can even make the virus more infectious?

We need lots of alternatives as we have the majority of populations uninfected and immunologically naive!

Asher

Not sure, it mentions prototype vaccines?

“We have worked on other coronaviruses, including MERS and SARS, and coronavirus infections in cattle and pigs,” said Gerdts. “We have developed two coronavirus vaccines for animals, so based on our expertise and knowledge, we believe that our approach may work with this outbreak.

https://news.usask.ca/articles/rese...rs-developing-prototype-vaccines-at-usask.php

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
They are well equipped, but it’s still only level “3”.

Here in the USA, (and in Wuhan), Coronaviruses are grown at Level “4” containment. (In Russia the numbers go in reverse and that would be “1” the strictest!)

I guess their big expertise is in planning to hopefully prevent a dangerous pandemic effecting 1/3 of pigs worldwide!

We never know, which lab, if any, is going to make a vaccine that not only gives immunity, but that immunity confers protection and no aberrant enhancement.

If its Saskattchewan, then we’ll deserved Kudos!

In any case I salute them, heartily, as most scientists are driven by curiosity and a desire to help mankind. But make no mistake, Virology is fraught with personal danger to the workers!

Chance of success are at best 30% per laboratory!

Asher

James Lemon

They now have a virus isolate in their lab, have generated a vaccine based on the isolate and are in the process of testing both on living animals.

Their test-mammal of choice, ferrets

The reason ferrets have become the proverbial guinea pig is due to their ability to become infected by this particular virus.

“You have to have a model where animals are showing symptoms similar to what we see in humans,” Gerdts said.

He says with the vaccinations underway, the ferrets will be exposed to the virus itself over the coming weeks. He says if the vaccine is effective in its first trial, work to determine its safety for human use will get underway.

Our ultimate goal beyond this project is to develop a pan-coronavirus vaccine that provides protection against multiple coronaviruses.”

VIDO-InterVac also said on Friday it’s building a pilot-scale vaccine manufacturing facility to help improve Canada’s response and emergency preparedness to emerging threats such as SARS-CoV-2.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6635607/...g-edge-of-the-race-for-a-coronavirus-vaccine/