• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept Share your Favorite Shots: Architectural & Cultural Gems Around The World

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great Cities and Civilizations often build magnificent structures to impress and draw crowds.

let me start with some night shots in Los Angeles.

0750D5A9-D05D-48BF-A368-4C6275B524E4.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Walt Disney Concert Hall at Night”
Hand Held Panorama
Designed by Frank Gehry and financed by generous gifts from LA music lovers.

Enjoy our rich collection of OPF photographers’ pictures of The Walt Disney Concert Gall here!

Please add your own iconic treasures!

Thanks,

Asher

James Lemon

Great Cities and Civilizations often build magnificent structures to impress and draw crowds.

let me start with some night shots in Los Angeles.

View attachment 5289

Asher Kelman: “Walt Disney Concert Hall at Night”
Hand Held Panorama
Designed by Frank Gehry and financed by generous gifts from LA music lovers.

Please add your own iconic treasures!

Thanks,

Asher

I like theses types of images... I really like this one! You should make many more of these make a book?

Asher Kelman

I like theses types of images... I really like this one! You should make many more of these make a book?
Thanks for your visit and kind words. I have admiration for the generosity of folk who use their own money to fund museums. The architects are fortunate to have the opportunity to serve the general lublic in such creative ventures to also showcase their own inventiveness!

For us it’s a “win-win” coincidence of generosity, narcissism, goodwill and support of the “Arts“! All without big government!

Here is the neighbor of the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Donated by the Philanthropist, Eli Broad!

A33FAB2F-ABB6-4D57-85EC-DB3262A9C3D4.jpeg

Asher Kelman: The Broad Museum
Hand Held Panorama

This is a gem of a building, set next to WDCH and opposite The Colburn School of Music on the left.

Asher

James Lemon

Thanks for your visit and kind words. I have admiration for the generosity of folk who use their own money to fund museums. The architects are fortunate to have the opportunity to serve the general lublic in such creative ventures to also showcase their own inventiveness!

For us it’s a “win-win” coincidence of generosity, narcissism, goodwill and support of the “Arts“! All without big government!

Here is the neighbor of the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Donated by the Philanthropist, Eli Broad!

View attachment 5294
Asher Kelman: The Broad Museum
Hand Held Panorama

This is a gem of a building, set next to WDCH and opposite The Colburn School of Music on the left.

Asher

Wonderful! I take similar types of picks in small towns of old buildings and such. I especially like to stand in the middle of the street and take pictures of both sides,as if one were driving down a street.Taking pictures of the general neighborhood and funky houses works too!

Asher Kelman

the University “clock tower” is a symbol of continuity and worth in many universities around the world, but especially in the U.K. And the U.S.A.

A5EED932-237E-4FB6-9390-7474DBF8C327.jpeg

Asher Kelman: Redbrick Clock Tower

Birmingham, U.K.

Asher

Asher Kelman

These “Red Brick” Universities are distinguished in academic standing and in not being in the “League” of the elite ancient colleges of Oxford and Cambridge.

384C15A3-80AA-4337-82A9-442F42EE513D.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Nuclear Memory”
Remembering the Engineering of Nuclear Weapons
The Great Hall
University of Birmingham

Part of all these classic Universities in both the USA and the U.K. is the not infrequent hegemony of the Church in administration, as essentially it was thought part of “Civilization” for everyone to follow the scriptures and attend major functions, if not prayers, in “The Great Hall”, essentially built in the style of European Cathedrals.

03000535-C146-41AD-922A-0AFE755F9376.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “The Great Hall”
University of Birmingham

I took advantage of a visit to pose on the platform! Never had an invitation, but I enjoyed the moment!

Asher

James Lemon

These “Red Brick” Universities are distinguished in academic standing and in not being in the “League” of the elite ancient colleges of Oxford and Cambridge.

View attachment 5316

Asher Kelman: “Nuclear Memory”
Remembering the Engineering of Nuclear Weapons
The Great Hall
University of Birmingham

Part of all these classic Universities in both the USA and the U.K. is the not infrequent hegemony of the Church in administration, as essentially it was thought part of “Civilization” for everyone to follow the scriptures and attend major functions, if not prayers, in “The Great Hall”, essentially built in the style of European Cathedrals.

View attachment 5315

Asher Kelman: “The Great Hall”
University of Birmingham

I took advantage of a visit to pose on the platform! Never had an invitation, but I enjoyed the moment!

Asher

Looks to be a strange ritual especially with the chair and feet close together?

Asher Kelman

In just a stone’s through from Beverly Hills, In the City of West Hollywood, bordering on the North side of Melrose Avenue, stands the magnificent “Pacific Design Center“, the headquarters and design headquarters of some of the top creatives in Southern California.

05852C17-F5B1-466A-93F0-ADB4D8A8EC11.jpeg

Asher Kelman: Pacific Design Center # 1
From the Corner of Melrose Avenue & San Vicente Blvd

0C4AB91C-29C4-4576-88C9-52910167DA17.jpeg

Asher Kelman: Pacific Design Center # 2
From the Corner of Melrose Avenue & San Vicente Blvd

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

From around the corner, on the steps of the West Hollywood public Library, one has a great view of all three colored buildings of the Pacific Design Center!

5CD32716-261E-4F13-9ADD-0463C82D3565.jpeg

Asher Kelman: Pacific Design Center #2
From the West Hollywood Library Top Steps

“The 1.6 million square-foot campus presents nearly 100 boutique to international showroom brands, representing 2,200 product lines available to source by professional interior designers, architects, facility managers, decorators and dealers.

Pacific Design Center also serves the needs of the design, entertainment and arts communities by providing dramatic public and private spaces for screenings, exhibitions, lectures, meetings, special events and receptions.

A premier, multi-use facility, Pacific Design Center features two restaurants (Design Cafe & Silver Bullet Express); The SilverScreen Theater, a 294 seat state-of-the-art luxury film venue and reception facility; the Conference Center, a 200 seat facility fully equipped for conferences and meetings, and a Michael Graves designed Fitness Center.

Designed by architect Cesar Pelli, FAIA, the beautifully landscaped, 14-acre campus is located in the City of West Hollywood, CA. Pacific Design Center’s “Blue Whale” opened in 1975 at 750,000 square-feet. Realizing Pelli’s original vision, the Green Building followed in 1988 at 450,000 square-feet and, finally, the Red Building in 2012 at 400,000 square-feet, offering class A, creative office space for premier businesses, including entertainment, fashion, technology and the arts.”

Asher

Asher Kelman

From the showroom website:

They must have shot from the roof of the West Hollywood Library opposite!

054DF17D-30DC-44B4-9034-376BD4576333.jpeg

Here you can see and appreciate, much more readily, the knife-edge form of the Red Building!

Since a major, forty to fifty year-old tree is obviously missing on the left, exposing completely the front of the red building, this is either heavily photoshopped with the red building rebuilt, or else this is a computer graphics simulation! Still, it’s a very impressive design!

Asher

Asher Kelman

“Redbrick“ Universities in the U.K. came after the Industrial Revolution and the urgent need to expand higher education.

Red brick also symbolizes a link to Roman settlement of the U.K. and a flourishing decorated architectural style of the Tudor Style of the time of Queen Elizabeth the First.

3D7BD1FB-9177-44F5-BA2E-32AF259D425C.jpeg

Here in West Hollywood, opposite “Anawalt Lumber, stands a unique “Americanization“ of the English Tudor style.

C6724048-4D18-446B-95DD-1B3198EBA991.jpeg

594950D2-6843-46CE-8DF3-529C3D2B2242.jpeg

It’s owned by “The Hollywood Press Association” In England that would mean club or society of the Foreign Press collecting news in Los Angeles.

Here it’s a for profit company that holds a major Hollywood Gala that gives coveted awards in the Movie Industry. Not as prestigious as the “ Academy Awards”, but considered a mark of worth!

Asher

James Lemon

“Redbrick“ Universities in the U.K. came after the Industrial Revolution and the urgent need to expand higher education.

Red brick also symbolizes a link to Roman settlement of the U.K. and a flourishing decorated architectural style of the Tudor Style of the time of Queen Elizabeth the First.

Here in West Hollywood, opposite “Anawalt Lumber, stands a unique “Americanization“ of the English Tudor style.

It’s owned by “The Hollywood Press Association” In England that would mean club or society of the Foreign Press collecting news in Los Angeles.

Here it’s a for profit company that holds a major Hollywood Gala that gives coveted awards in the Movie Industry. Not as prestigious as the “ Academy Awards”, but considered a mark of worth!

Asher

The spiral brick work on the columns is interesting.

Asher Kelman

The spiral brick work on the columns is interesting.
Thanks, for the visit. Yes, and to think it’s just humble brick.

62D54F3E-9166-41C6-A449-95A83C7268C1.jpeg

This house design does require more effort but not more than a 15% increase in cost of materials to cover the extra wood, stained-glass windows and more custom carpentry.

it’s so worth the extra thought and commitment!

Asher

Hello members of the Forum!

I just joined this particular blog, and I can only say that I am really impressed about the quality of the content, it is just amazing how art and architecture can make us feel so much! for me its the ultimate expression of human beings.

IMG_20200714_103921 EGG.jpg

For the time being I am currently living in Barcelona Spain, a place full of culture and historical art, I am so happy to be here, so many great artist have been born here and shared their knowledge.

[Group 0]-IMG_20200714_115252_IMG_20200714_115258-2 images_0000.jpg

Here I share to you a couple of pictures of the Dali`s Museum located in Figueras a few hours away from the center of Barcelona, I was amazed about the ironic composition, colors and geometry expressions we can see here.

Dali one said that the only difference between a crazy person and him, is that most crazy people do not know they are crazy, but he knew he was. I could say he was a crazy genius.

We should all embrace our craziness and use it to create something meaningful.

Hope you like it!

Best.

Oscar Ignacio

Last edited:
Ignacio! Welcome. I especially love the first image which appears to have eggs on them.

Eggs are like promised. Promises of fertility, of great things to come, but also, just like promises, also project fragility, once broken cannot ever
be entirely fixed, will always show.

I live in a small town (maybe 30-35,000 people) about 5-6 hours out of Montreal. No fancy architecture here and nothing old enough to be really interesting. These are fabulous, can't wait to see more. :) Maggie

Jim Olson

Hello members of the Forum!

I just joined this particular blog, and I can only say that I am really impressed about the quality of the content, it is just amazing how art and architecture can make us feel so much! for me its the ultimate expression of human beings.

For the time being I am currently living in Barcelona Spain, a place full of culture and historical art, I am so happy to be here, so many great artist have been born here and shared their knowledge.

Here I share to you a couple of pictures of the Dali`s Museum located in Figueras a few hours away from the center of Barcelona, I was amazed about the ironic composition, colors and geometry expressions we can see here.

Dali one said that the only difference between a crazy person and him, is that most crazy people do not know they are crazy, but he knew he was. I could say he was a crazy genius.

We should all embrace our craziness and use it to create something meaningful.

Hope you like it!

Best.

Oscar Ignacio

Welcome Oscar & very interesting pictures.
Hope to see more soon
Jim

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nicolas,

Gtreat you were in Japan. That roof is so exotic! I wonder it’s origin?

Asher
The Rokuon-ji is a famous Buddhist temple in Kyoto
More about it
It was a rainy day with a rather dull light, I could have photographed it from another point of view, without trees in the foreground like everyone else, but I preferred to place it behind these trees to bring a little nature (and mystery?) in this highly sophisticated and regulated universe.
A little disorder in the order...

Asher Kelman

The Rokuon-ji is a famous Buddhist temple in Kyoto
More about it
It was a rainy day with a rather dull light, I could have photographed it from another point of view, without trees in the foreground like everyone else, but I preferred to place it behind these trees to bring a little nature (and mystery?) in this highly sophisticated and regulated universe.
A little disorder in the order...
Well, Nicolas it’s very special, indeed!

......and in addition, you processed the image with unusual “French Impressiionist-like” restraint. You didn’t go for the details in the mottled bark of the trees or the tiles and sheen of the roof.

57F2F8F4-14C5-4359-80DD-72315F58769E.jpeg

Together with the grey sky, a lesser artist might have replaced, you show the happenstance “meditative truth” of the matter with no added technical varnish or salesmanship.

We all know that “less is more“, but few realize how important it can be for sacred moments.

Kudos and thanks for sharing.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Still in Japan
Both worlds: traditional and contemporary, this country is fascinating (schizophrenia? dissociative identity?)…

Traditionnel_NCK6686.jpg