• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lockdown

Jerome Marot

France and Germany announced lockdown today. Irland, the desunited Kingdom, Spain, Poland, etc... have also announced various kinds of lockdown.

covid_october.png

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
France and Germany announced lockdown today. Irland, the desunited Kingdom, Spain, Poland, etc... have also announced various kinds of lockdown.

Interesting, Jérôme!

What about hospitalizations, respirator use and deaths?

Those would be instructive too!

Do we know why Europe did so much better than the USA or India for so long?

Asher

Jerome Marot

What about hospitalizations, respirator use and deaths?

The reason behind the lockdown is that the hospitals are filling up, apparently.

Do we know why Europe did so much better than the USA or India for so long?

No, I don't think we do. I don't even think that the recent rise of the R0 in several European countries is well understood. India is doing surprisingly well amongst thse 4, BTW. Their population is 3 to 4 times bigger.

You can play with the curves here: https://mackuba.eu/corona/#compare?val=d&c=us,eur,br,in
You can choose the curve corrected for population and there is also a death curve. You can also add countries.

Jerome Marot

To have an objective view it is necessary to compare the data per inhabitant...

Up to a point. State limits are arbitrary and may not correspond to actual epidemiological limits. In the end, it all depends where one draws the limit. for example in March, statistics for the USA as a whole were still good, but statistics around the city of New York were atrocious. We may have the same effect in India at present, I do not know.