• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

wildlife in the COVID era

Doug Herr

In December I was exposed to the virus and a few days later developed mild symptoms (which stayed mild and were very brief) so I self-quarantined for a couple of weeks; this presented me with a challenge, how much wildlife photography can I do in my yard?

I have a semi-permanent blind near the birdbath and feeding station where I spent many hours watching the activity.
regcal16.jpg

setcor25.jpg

baeino14.jpg

spipsa29.jpg

mellin06.jpg

Doug Herr

while trimming trees on my property I noticed a limb with gorgeous lichen growth and said to myself 'this would be an awesome prop in the backyard Avian Portrait Studio'
zonleu31.jpg

thrbew11.jpg

haemex31.jpg

sitcar14.jpg

mellin08.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So, Doug, what induced the birds to drop by?

What’s the time frame of this amazingly successful project?

Asher

Doug Herr

So, Doug, what induced the birds to drop by?

What’s the time frame of this amazingly successful project?

Asher

I bribed them! I drilled a pocket into the Lichen Log which I stuff with treats. I suspect the lichen will last a good long time, at least until warmer weather. I don't think it depends on the tree for much more than a place to cling to.

The time frame is mid-December through January 19.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

To what extent are these different species alienated from one another? Do they at least try to mate or are not attracted?

They seem rather close in size, but I guess to the birds each is a foreign devil!

Asher

Doug Herr

What are the treats: bread crumbs or insects?

Asher

Suet attracts the biggest variety of species. The sparrows and most of the finches like it as well as the jays, nuthatches and wrens. I tried black thistle seed (a goldfinch favorite) to lure them onto the Lichen Log but the White-crowned Sparrows dominated the thistle.

Doug Herr

To what extent are these different species alienated from one another? Do they at least try to mate or are not attracted?

They seem rather close in size, but I guess to the birds each is a foreign devil!

Asher

Hybridization is rare but is occasionally seen in the wild. Most of the time different species are incompatible if not biologically then their habits and habitats differ enough that they don't cross-breed.

Asher Kelman

Let’s look at the wren today.

Its shape is almost globular, it’s white collar fits aptly.

imagine drawing it in a few strokes.

39515943-76D6-4986-873D-27F981970896.jpeg

A strikingly handsome bird in a well crafted photograph.

Asher