• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cool unpublished street photograph

Robert Watcher

My purchase of the new MacMini M1 (Silicone) a few weeks ago - along with the addition of a new 27” LG 4K monitor this past week...

...has me revisiting my large collection of travel and street files, in an attempt to find ones that I have never printed or published online before.

In fact, I don’t remember taking this one from Costa Rica in 2008. I’m not sure how I missed it.

B720803F-FB7A-4515-96B4-AA8C238FD733.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great, Robert!

So we can now get to celebrate your new found increased processing power!

How much RAM and does it take external Graphics cards?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Great, Robert!

So we can now get to celebrate your new found increased processing power!

How much RAM and does it take external Graphics cards?

Asher

The setup won’t change my photography at all, but having a desktop setup again with large monitor - is inspiring me to open up Lightroom and Photoshop more often than I did.

This computer setup has been especially useful with changes that have happened in my work the last couple of months. I have gained several large web builds for clients that suit desktop better than my iPad or laptop. These web jobs, have also turned into my being hired for small product photography, making the desktop setup with large monitor very practical. Being I don’t leave my home, it has been so nice having customers ship their products to my front door by currier - where I can setup a little desktop shooting area with simple lighting in our living space, and provide professional photography for them. I never expected to get into this line of photography, but it may be the future for me.

if you aren’t familiar with the M1 chip - Silicone is Apple’s replacement for Intel processors In their upcoming products. Only the three cheapest models are available to start with. Essentially all have the same power and configurations. Either 8 or 16gb of ram along with varying sizes of SSD. They aren’t expandable at all - you are limited to your initial choices. The macmini I chose is the base $695US/$895CAD model. The speed and ability are really impressive. And it is great having a monitor that out of the box handles RGB colours and displays nice colour accuracy. If I ever hit the streets again, I won’t be giving up on using my iPad however.

Last edited:

James Lemon

The setup won’t change my photography at all, but having a desktop setup again with large monitor - is inspiring me to open up Lightroom and Photoshop more often than I did.

This computer setup has been especially useful with changes that have happened in my work the last couple of months. I have gained several large web builds for clients that suit desktop better than my iPad or laptop. These web jobs, have also turned into my being hired for small product photography, making the desktop setup with large monitor very practical. Being I don’t leave my home, it has been so nice having customers ship their products to my front door by currier - where I can setup a little desktop shooting area with simple lighting in our living space, and provide professional photography for them. I never expected to get into this line of photography, but it may be the future for me.

if you aren’t familiar with the M1 chip - Silicone is Apple’s replacement for Intel processors In their upcoming products. Only the three cheapest models are available to start with. Essentially all have the same power and configurations. Either 8 or 16gb of ram along with varying sizes of SSD. They aren’t expandable at all - you are limited to your initial choices. The macmini I chose is the base $695US/$895CAD model. The speed and ability are really impressive. And it is great having a monitor that out of the box handles RGB colours and displays nice colour accuracy. If I ever hit the streets again, I won’t be giving up on using my iPad however.

Big $$$ in product photography!!!

Asher Kelman

Robert,

I asked about the RGB monitor as the LG monitor I know, the LG 27UK850-W 27” 4K UHD IPS Monitor sold on Amazon is specified as just 99% sRGB!

Likely they have an array of 27” models, so the name of yours would be helpful, as no doubt they are great brand.

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

I asked about the RGB monitor as the LG monitor I know, the LG 27UK850-W 27” 4K UHD IPS Monitor sold on Amazon is specified as just 99% sRGB!

Likely they have an array of 27” models, so the name of yours would be helpful, as no doubt they are great brand.

Asher

Yes. I got the cheap one LG 27UL500-W. it is considered equally as good as the slightly more expensive LG models. Of course none of these will compare to true calibrated monitors that start at $1500 and go up into the thousands. I have no need for those standards.

With it’s extra real estate and great colour, this model is a huge upgrade for me over the Samsung 27” that I bought last summer and have now relegated to Anne’s workspace for Quilt design. I have a gas monitor arm on my desk, so didn’t care about limitations with Its built in stand. that was the main con everyone mentions. The colour is very good out of box. These models are listed as being calibrated at the factory.

Based on an IPS panel with dithered 10-bit color depth support (8-bit + FRC for 1.07 billion colors), 98% sRGB color gamut, and wide 178° viewing angles, the LG 27UL500 monitor delivers gorgeous, accurate, and consistent colors.

The monitor is factory-calibrated, so you’ll be able to enjoy the monitor straight out of the box and even do some basic content creation.

However, for professional color-critical work, calibration via a dedicated calibrator will be necessary.

If I want to go at colour correcting it myself down the road, I have an X-Rite i1 device to do that. All I really care about is consistency. And for me that means the sRBG image I export, looks the same as my iPad or iPhone for uploading to the web —- as that is how 99% of people are viewing my pics. And as well - as long as what I view when preparing a file for print close to the prints I get back from Whitehouse Colour Lab, the odd time I use them.

https://www.newegg.ca/lg-27ul500-w-27-uhd/p/N82E16824025944?Description=lg monitor 27UL500&cm_re=lg_monitor 27UL500-_-24-025-944-_-Product

couldn’t believe newegg service. Ordered the monitor on Wed afternoon and it was at my door on Fri morning.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

.......couldn’t believe newegg service. Ordered the monitor on Wed afternoon and it was at my door on Fri morning.
.....great for us, except when we need a local “mom & pop” store, which are driven out of business.

I keep claiming I support local stores, but honestly, I am embarrassed to admit that 95% of my purchases are online!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Another photo that I opened up in Lightroom and just love —— because I don’t know the woman and yet she appears so comfortable —- and as well the layers, elements and interaction with the chef(husband) in the scene looking on, and the fan giving the feeling of the heat of the restaurant kitchen in a hot climate to compliment the woman’s hair being pulled back. This was taken in a small town in the mountains of Costa Rica in 2009. Anne and I stopped in for lunch (fish meal) and grabbed this shot when leaving.

EFF24B41-FAAF-42F0-B253-5197F804B360.jpeg