• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Engineering the Steel Support Column for “The Puff of Wind Sculpture”

Asher, at one point there was talk of making a more elaborate video of how this all came about. I know you made a few, small videos, but one that encompasses the entire story. Any movement forward on that front?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, at one point there was talk of making a more elaborate video of how this all came about. I know you made a few, small videos, but one that encompasses the entire story. Any movement forward on that front?
Hi Maggie,

A great question you pose.

Right at this moment, a fellow who is interested in extra gigantic LF photography, has reached out to discuss my research into Richard Learoyd’s amazing life size Cibachrome portraits made with 27,000 Watt-seconds flash!

The fellow’s “day job” is making documentaries, so I will ask his advice when I meet him next week to go over my lenses!

I already have broached the subject and he has indicated interest!

It so happens that Ignacio is helping me make a video of my concept for a 1/4 mile sculpture garden overlooking the Pacific Ocean! He converts my various photoprogrammetry and other 3D models into a 3D World modified from the actual drone capture landscape I gave him. He has also hired for me a colleague, (a graphic artist), to make an illustrated map needed to get the project considered by the local government and US Coastal Commission!

So I am very grateful for Ignacio’s support and talent. All the work has to go back and forth to various engineers so it’s an international effort!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
This might give an idea of the serious steel loads we were dealing with. It means going first class in equipment and rigging engineering! No way one could compete without funds!

View attachment 6662
Asher Kelman: Rigging “The Puff of Wind”

In one city they want work to cease by 4:30 on latest and be off the site by 5:00 pm. That alone extends the rental of the crane and puts us into first “overtime” and then 4 x time after 12 hrs. So just the Spyder Crane is almost $11,000.

I guess the aphorism, “To fish in deep water, first get high wading boots!”, might be worth paying attention to at the planning stage of such a project, :

Asher
C'est absolument maginfique but how on Earth, in such important event during your artistic life, can you just shoot with an iPhone!
I can't understand why you haven't used one of your many pro cameras…
This moment desserves a much better (technically speaking) image for your own memory but also for your kids and grand kids!!!!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
C'est absolument maginfique but how on Earth, in such important event during your artistic life, can you just shoot with an iPhone!
I can't understand why you haven't used one of your many pro cameras…
This moment desserves a much better (technically speaking) image for your own memory but also for your kids and grand kids!!!!!
A lot of thr videos during construction were shot with the Canon or Sony DSLRs. But from now on it will be with the Fuji GFX 50S!

Asher

Hi Maggie,

A great question you pose.

Right at this moment, a fellow who is interested in extra gigantic LF photography, has reached out to discuss my research into Richard Learoyd’s amazing life size Cibachrome portraits made with 27,000 Watt-seconds flash!

The fellow’s “day job” is making documentaries, so I will ask his advice when I meet him next week to go over my lenses!

I already have broached the subject and he has indicated interest!

It so happens that Ignacio is helping me make a video of my concept for a 1/4 mile sculpture garden overlooking the Pacific Ocean! He converts my various photoprogrammetry and other 3D models into a 3D World modified from the actual drone capture landscape I gave him. He has also hired for me a colleague, (a graphic artist), to make an illustrated map needed to get the project considered by the local government and US Coastal Commission!

So I am very grateful for Ignacio’s support and talent. All the work has to go back and forth to various engineers so it’s an international effort!

Asher
That's great to know and very interesting. I'm curious now about the sculpture garden; You are quite amazing, always doing something interesting! :)