• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A spot of moisture

Paul Iddon

After the rain, the insects need to dry off - being soaking wet does most no good I suppose.

Here's an Orchesella cincta (I think) and then the reasonably patient long-legged fly that allowed me to move around to different angles...

wetcincta_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly01_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly05_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly07_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly08_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly09_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
After the rain, the insects need to dry off - being soaking wet does most no good I suppose.

Here's an Orchesella cincta (I think) and then the reasonably patient long-legged fly that allowed me to move around to different angles...

wetcincta_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly01_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly05_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly07_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly08_4k_1800-X3.jpg

wetfly09_4k_1800-X3.jpg
Paul,

Notice that the surfaces are already hydrophobic and so water beads. We haven’t developed such surfaces, but we do have eyelids to remove such drops and debris from the cornea!

Asher

Paul Iddon

Thanks both :)

Asher - I think a lot of our smaller insects have had to develop so specifically this way. There simply isn't enough room on their bodies for external extras!

Tony - this tiny world fascinates me further beyond where I could have imagined. So small, yet usually so well formed creatures...

Paul.

The eyes are incredible. Makes me wonder if they see in that pattern. I have a macro lens but I'm pretty sure I would not be able to get so close and so clear. Wonderful work!

Paul Iddon

The eyes are incredible. Makes me wonder if they see in that pattern. I have a macro lens but I'm pretty sure I would not be able to get so close and so clear. Wonderful work!

Thank you Maggie :)

Flies see in black and white which allows them to interpret movement quicker than many creatures and that is one of the reasons they take off so easily.

Maybe this one was just being lazy and allowed me to get in closer!

Paul.