• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

With the warm sun comes the ladybirds

Paul Iddon

Another bright warmer day and the ladybirds are plentiful (I counted over a dozen in my small patch of garden).

twolads1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ladsmarch3_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ladsmarch2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ladslook1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ladslook2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

And occasionally, there's a bad landing to sort out!

ladsmarch8_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ladsmarch6_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ladsmarch5_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ladsmarch4_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Paul Iddon

On a full frame camera?

what is your working distance?

Does going longer in focal length ruin your depth of field in focus?

Asher

The camera is not full frame (70D is APS-C) and for these ladybirds the end of the lens was about 3 inches away (maybe less). Depth of field is always small no matter what aperture - 2 or 3mm at best - and if you use f/16 or more there would be signs of diffraction and the image would start softening rather than keeping sharp detail.

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The camera is not full frame (70D is APS-C) and for these ladybirds the end of the lens was about 3 inches away (maybe less). Depth of field is always small no matter what aperture - 2 or 3mm at best - and if you use f/16 or more there would be signs of diffraction and the image would start softening rather than keeping sharp detail.

Paul.
Thanks for sharing the info. Have you tried longer focal lengths too and what about the “Fearsome” Canon MPE?

Asher

Paul Iddon

I've had the 100mm Canon lens, but not the MPE65 - that is way outside my price range as much as I'd love to try one.

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nothing - I just sold it one day (can't remember why) and some time after went on to the Venus lens.
I like that on your APS-C camera, the Laowa Venus 60mm 2:1 macro gives you 3” of working distance. That’s perfect for getting light in!

I may try a reverse adapter on a 50 mm or buy the same Laowa lens!

Asher