• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Small selection today once the rain had stopped

Paul Iddon

Lousy weather most of the day but when the sun shined for half an hour, the insects came out to play briefy...

A wolf spider carrying her eggs:

wolfy_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

A sawfly larva tucked up away from any rainfall:

sawf_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

I think this is Pimpla rufipes - the black slip wasp - hard to get anything because ichneumonids are way to quick and this one was deep in the laurel:

pimla_b_4k_1800-XL.jpg

pimpla_c_4k_1800-XL.jpg

And lastly the Salticus scenicus jumping spiders came out. There were 3 - the smallest being the one on the left at around 2mm which cautiously kept her eyes on the middle sized one, while the largest wandered around nearby but kept away from the other two:

salty_x2_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

salty_b_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Paul.
I read that “Despite their unusual name, ichneumon wasps are very common, and they are the largest family of animals in the world, with more than 60,000 to 100,000 species living in many different habitats and climates,”

In the ISA we have 5,000 species of these wasps!

Paul Iddon

I read that “Despite their unusual name, ichneumon wasps are very common, and they are the largest family of animals in the world, with more than 60,000 to 100,000 species living in many different habitats and climates,”

In the ISA we have 5,000 species of these wasps!

The vast majority are really small - I would hazard a guess that if you are in the garden and see something briefly that is almost unnoticeable - it would have been an Ichneumonidae.

Paul.