• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello darkness my old friend...

Paul Iddon

... I've come to photo you again... :LOL:

4 from late at night in the garden just before midnight.

A froghopper (or is it a leafhopper, lol)...

hopper_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

A silver sided sector spider (Zygiella x-notata)

Zygiella%20x-notata_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

A short legged harvestman - I first thought Rilaena triangularis, but I now think it may be Paroligolophus agrestis - a common opillione.

rilaena_triangularis_a-Edit_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Finally the rapid running snout mite (Bdellidae) which I see quite frequently on the compost bin. Not sure what the interloper is just OoF, maybe a second snouty, but could be a springtail, or any other tiny insect! They feed on other arthropods like springtails, small insects and other mites, including their eggs. They harpoon their prey with a jet of saliva and attach it to the substrate with silk threads like shrouds.

snouty_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

And just to show how it doesn't always go to plan - here is the snout mite having speared something - and the focus is off because it's so small I didn't know I was missing it slightly to the naked eye!

snouty_b_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This are the cutest! Fancy spearing food. Now how does it eat it?

Can it pull of portions with its feet or does it have jaws?

Asher

Paul Iddon

Once it has dined, it simply walks away to find it's next meal. Never washes the dishes and cutlery!

Paul.