• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nepal, heaven in the clouds. Nepal the places I've seen!

fahim mohammed

p1003654980.jpg

2 famous mountain ranges across Nepal..the Himalyas and the Annapurna

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Annapurna

Fahim,

Where is this located and why the intense blue? Is this with your M8?

This is a stunning set of overlays of mountains. I hope you are getting enough overlapping adjacent shots to make some Panoramas! We have a new Panorama Photgraphy section and such a layered mountain range would lend itself to such ultra-wide photography and also 360 degree views.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hello Asher, I am at around 3000 mts in the east centre of the country. It is with my M8 and the mist/haze haze this blueish tinge across many images. I could try to warm this, but wanted to leave it as it is.

2 things I missed...Graduated density filter and a polarising filter.

Regards.

Fahim,

Where is this located and why the intense blue? Is this with your M8?

This is a stunning set of overlays of mountains. I hope you are getting enough overlapping adjacent shots to make some Panoramas! We have a new Panorama Photgraphy section and such a layered mountain range would lend itself to such ultra-wide photography and also 360 degree views.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
You must have felt like you'd woken in heaven! What I would give for a window with a view like that - amazing! What wonderful memories you must have from this trip....

fahim mohammed

Away from the cities, I found Nepal to be heavenly. One cannot, however, forget that luck has dealt the
humble people of Nepal a stacked deck .

Regards.

You must have felt like you'd woken in heaven! What I would give for a window with a view like that - amazing! What wonderful memories you must have from this trip....

Wendy Thurman

Stunning, Fahim- simply stunning. Was this done on the M8?

Nepal is on my list. Seeing your images serves only to raise it up a few notches!

Wendy (currently in Amman, shooting like a madwoman)

Daniel Buck

Beautiful! Sunrise/sunsets are awesome when you have layers of clouds/mist below you in the mountains :) Some of my favorite sunset photos have settings similar to this!

fahim mohammed

Wendy, thanks for your comments.

D700 + zeiss 35/2 handheld; slight crop and alien skin kodachrome 25 filter.

Enjoy Amman.

Stunning, Fahim- simply stunning. Was this done on the M8?

Nepal is on my list. Seeing your images serves only to raise it up a few notches!

Wendy (currently in Amman, shooting like a madwoman)

Wendy Thurman

Wendy, thanks for your comments.

D700 + zeiss 35/2 handheld; slight crop and alien skin kodachrome 25 filter.

Enjoy Amman.

Amman remains one of my favorite cities- it has great character, there is something for everyone here, and it's off the worn tourist beat. The Shmeisani, Abdali, and Abdoun areas are starting to look enormously like Dubai, however. I spent the afternoon in old Amman around the Roman Amphitheatre shooting with the D700 and the 14-24. The subdued lighting today should make for some interesting images.

Back to Baghdad in the morning and editing the images I have. Please keep your images coming; I am enjoying them enormously!

mas salaama-

Wendy

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Fahim,

I cannot imagine a more beautiful and spectacular sunrise to start the day, it's a stunning image.

The sunlit peaks in the top left really add something to the image, and provide some balance to the dark areas of the opposite corner.

Thanks for posting,

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

It's difficult to "up" the comments so far. This picture is indeed heavenly! I'd imagine also that panoramas would be simply amazing. I'm not often envious, except now I admit! I'd love to see this with my own eyes. We'll not protest if you show us more of this series.

What's unusual is the saw-tooth edge of the hillside. Each little tooth, is the top of one tree!

I am wondering about how this would look through filters. If you have a polarizing red filter, filter the distant clouds might be more dimensional. One can the correct for color shift in Photoshop.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Sunrise over lake Pehwa

was a bit late getting in position as can be seen by the ripples in the water. The
first day was cloudy and I left shortly after taking this pic. better luck next time.

p308573480.jpg

Best.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Fahim

The last shot of Bandipur is stunning, what an amazing place to spend some time, the shot leaves me wanting to look to the right and see what's over there, do you have any more to make a pano? And yes I do wish I was there, another on my long list of places to visit!

BTW congratulations on your magazine cover, I'm happy for you...

Michael Fontana

pro member
In the alps, I had seen similar sunsets/sunrises, and yes, it's beautifull.

The play of the clouds in the valley, moving like waves of the sea is quite astonishing.

fahim mohammed

In the Monastery ( Nepalese Buddhist )

p99194692.jpg

Complete visit and ceremony with the Lama present shall follow at some future date.

fahim mohammed

Crematorium...#1

This is a pictoria documentation of my visit to the open air crematorium for the deceased of the Hindu sect. This is located in Kathmandu.

The funeral pyres are located adjacent to the biggest Hindu temple in Nepal. One has to walk a short distance to reach the temple and the funeral site.

Out of the car and you are accosted to buy some offerings for the temple.. my driver Jai is a Hindu and
bought some items in a basket which has to returned on leaving the entrance

p120837521.jpg

There are many stalls and numerous items of religious significance on sale for the devoted and I might
add as soveniers for tourists.

p320762978.jpg

walking along the path to the temple one sees vacant ground on the left with homeless people. Along the right hand side, over the boundary wall is accomodation for grieving relatives who have travelled
from afar. This ' residence' is provided free of charge and is supported by the contributions to the temple and its auxillary elements.

p135847473.jpg

I passed quite a few people urinating along this wall and had to tread carefully, being on the lookout
for excrement!

The smell was over-powering and most people seemed oblivious to it. you can see the top of the temple
dome in the background. I asked Jai to lead the way carrying my camera back pack..hurriedly.

The entrance to the mail temple one is confronted once agin with small stalls selling the various stuff ( most of religious significance for use in the temple or the funeral pyres ).

p394036536.jpg

I did not enter the temple but turned right at the temple entrance towards the funeral site.

continued...

fahim mohammed

Crematorium...#2 ( Warning...Very Graphic )

As one enters the crematorium, one sees the funeral pyres on the right and the preparation area on the
left. A thick smoke covers the entire area. I am told the crematorium operates 24x7.

p175046243.jpg

I went to the left side as they were preparing the bodies for burial. There were people cleansing themselves:

p958590086.jpg

And the deceased were lowered near the water's edge and water was sprinkled on their face and feet:

p682933596.jpg

After which the deceased were taken to the pyre site. here the pyre is washed and prepared for the
cremation. The body was initially placed next to the pyre:

p546888751.jpg

Continued...

Asher Kelman

Hi Fahim,

I don't see anything "graphic" that might offend or shock any one, but I guess your wife sees this from a different point of view. Is this in any way these images might be "desecration of the body" as viewed from your own culture? I look at the images as beautiful aspects of devotion to ones family and making a satisfactory "goodbye".

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi Asher,

Based on a previous post that generated some discussion, and my wife's reaction, I thought it prudent
to assign the ' graphic' description.

As for myself, this is what I witnessed. Nothing more, nothing less. I respect all cultures, even though
my beliefs and my culture is different.

best.

Hi Fahim,

I don't see anything "graphic" that might offend or shock any one, but I guess your wife sees this from a different point of view. Is this in any way these images might be "desecration of the body" as viewed from your own culture? I look at the images as beautiful aspects of devotion to ones family and making a satisfactory "goodbye".

Asher

Last edited: