• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

“The Genius of Photography,” in 4 Parts--ABC1/BBC TV

RonPrice

Did you folks see: “The Genius of Photography,” ABC1 TV/BBC-4 Parts-28/2/10-21/3/10? The series had a great deal to say about the history of photojournalism. I wrote the following, so moved was I by the series.-Ron
---------------------------
SERENDIPITOUS JUXTAPOSITION

During the years 1954 to 1963 nine million people attended what was called ‘the greatest photographic exhibition of all times.’ It opened in January 1955 at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City and was based on the concept of “the family of man” and “mankind is one.” Created by Edward J. Steichen from a collection he began to prepare in 1951, the collection drew on 2 million photographs sent to him from all over the world. Indeed, while Steichen was making the final selection of 273 photographs from 68 countries whittled down from 10,000 photographs in the years 1952 to 1954, DNA was discovered and much else happened in that fertile period two year period in history.

The collection began a second life in the early 1990s in Luxembourg. The photographs were restored and the memories of the hopes and aspirations of millions of men and women, focused as they had been in the early 1950s on peace, on their concerns for the emerging Cold War and the new atomic bomb, were preserved by means of this restorative photographic process. This courageous and provocative photographic undertaking, the vision of one man, with its universal appeal to human dignity, was recreated forty years after its first opening in New York. The serious preparations for this recreation were made, such was a personal context for this aspect of the program, in a second Holy Year, 1992-3, as the final sifting of the original collection took place in the first Holy Year of the international Bahá'í community, 1952-3.–Ron Price with appreciation to “The Genius of Photography,” ABC1 TV, 28 February 2010, 11:40-12:40 a.m.

There was no real photography
family back then in those early
‘50s-just a humanistic message-
an abstract tone-poem-which in
its various ways avoided all the
historical, political, ideological1
realities which make for a true
and genuinely graphic family of
man. No photographer had in
those years commitments: not
Henri Cartier-Bresson or Robert
Capa, nor David Seymour or Wm
Vandivert or any of the members
of Magnum, an organization with
no relationship with Clint Eastwood.

Cultured and not-so-cultured, modest
and not-so-modest, avoiders as well as
seekers of ostentation, these men had a
quiet and not-so-quiet sensitivity, sharp
awareness of the pain of suffering and an
understated appreciation of others' humanity,
almost as if he were attempting to restore a
more distinguished order to a senseless world.3

1 This point was given great emphasis in the doco “The Genius of Photography: Part 1,” ABC1 TV, 28 February 2010, 11:40-12:40 a.m.
2 This prose-poem does not avoid ideology and commitment, history and endless modesty and ostentation. The history of photography and the history of the Bahá'í Faith can, arguably, be taken back to 1826 when the first photograph was made. That year the US President John Adams, whose life is associated in a series of remarkable ways with the emergence of the American democracy, died and the leader of the Shaykhi school of the Ithna-Ashariyyih sect of Shi’ah Islam, Shaykh Ahmad, passed away leaving the Shaykhi School in the hands of Siyyid Kazim until 31 December 1843 at which time a negligible offshoot of that school began to emerge and, in the years ahead, was transformed into a new world religion.
3 See the internet site “1947 Founders: Magnum In Motion.”
---------------------------------
After watching the fourth and final Part on 21 March, as the autumnal and vernal equinox turned their corner, I wrote the following addition to the above prose-poem.-Ron
---------------------
170 years is not such a long time
for a history to take place in the
span of a 13.6 billion year span
since the big bang. Still, a great
deal has happened on this very
mortal coil and photography has
delighted, served, moved and, yes,
outraged us all—well—not all of us.
The rigid divisions in this new art
have collapsed and, now, this art is
anything you want it to be, anything!

Ron Price
3 March 2010
Updated on 22 March 2010
For Open Photography Forums

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ron,

To be honest, I have had a hard time deciding what to make out of your post re. the TV documentary "The Genius of Photography". If your points have been solely about the series itself; such as whether we saw it and what we thought about it etc., then this post would belong in the Layback Cafe. However, I came to the conclusion that you are tying the contents of the series to your religion and that you provide in your post a special message about your values and beliefs. Your post is not about photography, it is much larger than that. If my conclusion is not right, please let me know why not.

We have had various discussions in the past about the beliefs and/or the political choices our members. These discussions are allowed to take place in OPF when conducted in a civilized manner and the right forum for them is the Provocative Thoughts and Images; so I have moved your post to there.

Re. the series itself; yes I have seen it and I have recently bought the BBC DVD as well. It is a very impressive documentary which should be watched by any serious photographer IMO.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Re. the series itself; yes I have seen it and I have recently bought the BBC DVD as well. It is a very impressive documentary which should be watched by any serious photographer IMO.

Cheers,
So where does one buy the DVD's? I was looking for a bootleg TIVO recording from someone n europe, LOL! I've heard great things and would love to see a discussion of this well regarded series.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

So where does one buy the DVD's? I was looking for a bootleg TIVO recording from someone n europe, LOL! I've heard great things and would love to see a discussion of this well regarded series.

Asher
Hi Asher,

I bought mine at amazon.co.uk, you might be able to order there I guess.

Cheers,

RonPrice

Belated Thanks, Cem

Belated Thanks, Cem, for moving my post to the "Provocative Thoughts and Images" sub-section of this site. I am a writer and author, poet and publisher and much of what I write, in these years of my retirement from paid employment, tries to integrate several things: some aspect of society, in this case photography, and my experience, in this case this TV series, with my own values and beliefs. If I post in this vein again, I will place it in that sub-section.-Ron Price, Australia