• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

4 tonight

Paul Iddon

Found my first Bdellidae of the year - but unsure of the sp. and also a green thing which may or not have emerged from the black hole in space - as well as tiny oribatid mite (not my best shot though) and a very small vapourer moth caterpillar.

bdellidae_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

a_what_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

orbatid_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

a_vapourer_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Tony Britton

A superb and fascinating series. This must be a really interesting and rewarding category of photography especially when results like this are obtained. You certainly produce excellent work!

Best,
Tony

Paul Iddon

Thank you again Tony.

It's an under-appreciated category in media circles, most people while they like what they can now see, don't like what they see at the same time. Most insects are shall we say, not the best lookers in the animal kingdom, often described as "only their mother could love them"!

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am impressed with the pleasant background but I realize it’s simply a leaf.

E370C326-CF20-41D1-9289-DD790A04B005.jpeg

This kind of presentation is fabulous, as it allows the finest hairs to be easily seen.

Can you name this and how do you recognize it? Do you have an AI app?

Asher

Paul Iddon

I have an app (Seek) but it's an American app and doesn't do so well in many European insects.

Aside from what I learnt in the past I use the web and Facebook groups to help ID.

I have some printed backgrounds which I can place behind some subjects, but nature herself provides most of them.

The caterpillar is on the same shrub every year in my front garden.

Paul.