• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Special Moth

Peter Dexter

According to a Colombian student of Lepidoptera this moth is identified as Eucereon albinota. It was first identified (8 kilometers from my home) in 1910 by Paul Dognin, a French entomologist whose collections are now in the National Museum of History in Washington DC. The identifier of my photo commented that it may be the only existing photograph of a living specimen as Dognin's images were pinned. This is speculation of course but kind of exciting nevertheless. Indeed if you search the species on GBIF (Global Biodiversity Information Facility) his collection is the only known occurrence.

50236389868_356c2e6a53_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So that’s part of your collection?

How do you persuade it to stay put? Did you just then let it fly away?

Asher

Peter Dexter

They alight on an outside wall where there is an exterior light. Most of them are not troubled by my approaching with the camera and stay put for a while.