• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Action or behavior of animals, creatures, (& carnivorous plants), of the wild!

Walt Conley

Thank you for the welcome. By the way, I love the shots above by Jody.

Info regarding these shots is that I live on a wooded bluff that is host to several nesting eagles. Every year around Mother's day (seems appropriate), we really start to see some activities as the young eagles start to fly and learn to ride the ridge lift. While it's common to see them it is rare to have them interacting with each other within reach of a lens while I'm home and have my camera at the ready. For this shot and the two below, I was using a Canon 20D with 70-200 f2.8L with 1.4 and 2.0 extenders stacked on the lens. Therefore, the absolute image clarity was compromised but I think acceptable for web display or small prints. The camera was on a tripod with a Wimberly Sidekick which really helps when tracking birds like this. These images were compilations of multiple shots taken at the same time. The above shot from well timed shutter releases, the one below were images taken at the frame rate of the camera. The blue sky made combining the images in photoshop with layers easy.

Flight School 2

original.jpg

Flight School 1

- In this crop, the image quality compromise of the two extenders can easily be seen.

original.jpg

Thanks for the added information. What a great place to live, to see this kind of activity basically in your own back yard.

Image quality will definitely suffer with stacked converters, but sometimes you do what you have to do to get the picture.

So the original shot you posted is a composite image? I wondered about that when I first saw it, but wasn't sure.

Thanks again.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

original.jpg

Drinking Lion
Duba Plains, Botswana

©2010 Winston C Mitchell
Sony A700 ,70-400G
1/800s f/5.0 at 200.0mm iso640

This is one magnificent shot of a fierce royal beast lapping water like a domestic pussycat! Once again, I'm amazed by the quality of the picture from the Sony camera! Who's have thought!

Were you in a truck or on some kind of platform?

Asher

It's as if the vehicles don't exist. Even the birds don't care much. I have seen a cheetah jump on the hood of an occupied land rover to get a better look at a prospective meal. I have also seen cheetahs use the vehicles for cover.

Jeff Donovan

Hey all!

Just returned from the Outer Banks of North Carolina and had a great opportunity to photograph some osprey's at close range. The nests are located right behind this restaurant:

The nests are about 10 feet off the shore and apparently the birds are used to having humans watching them because they didn't mind me standing there snapping photos for an hour. Here are some of my favorites.

Coasting along over the water

7-28-2011-Osprey-Outer-Banks-1-XL.jpg

Sticking out its tongue

7-28-2011-Osprey-Outer-Banks-6-L.jpg

Dinner arrives

7-28-2011-Osprey-Outer-Banks-8-L.jpg

All photos copyrighted by Jeff Donovan 2011

Asher Kelman

Jeff,

This one is my favorite as there's sop much action!

7-28-2011-Osprey-Outer-Banks-8-L.jpg

© Jeff Donovan 2011: Dinner Arrives

Dinner is in the talons and the nestlings are voraciously ready! Maybe crop some from the top as the open mouth of the chick is the main focus of interest. That's where the food will go, LOL!

Superb!

Asher

P.S. Now please go to the recent posts and find 3 photographer's pictures for you to comment on! That will help make OPF work as we look after and value each other.

Asher Kelman

Time for a call from the wild! Any shots of wild animal action or behavior?

Check your shoes boxes and hard drives!

Asher

Lee Tracy

Ant Farm

Large and rather spiky ants farming aphids. These are a local species of ant that BITE! Yup don't get in their way. I have them all over the garden - definitely no sugar ants around with these guys in the vicinity. Discovered them all over this bush and then realised they were farming aphids when I came back and looked at the photos. Went back a second time with the macro filter on my camera to get some better shots.

DSC_1203.JPG

DSC_1207.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0816XPGYBVU/VX_qx1FyGHI/AAAAAAAANXE/tGDSVVdPKFA/s800/DSC_1228.JPG[/IMGl]

[/CENTER]​

Andy brown

Thanks Don, it's a defensive display.
They're fairly placid however.
I think they're the world's largest skink (?) at about 18 inches long.
A classic character of the Aussie bush.

My dog spends hours trying (unsuccessfully) to catch small blue-linked skinks on our deck - can't imagine what she'd do if she encountered an 18" one!