• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Astro adaptor or manufacturer convertor

jimmyj

I have a Skywatcher telescope with a Nixon adapter. I now want to use a Canon on the telescope. Do I buy an adapter for Canon for the telescope or a convertor so I can use my Nikon 2x convertor with the Canon?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have a Skywatcher telescope with a Nixon adapter. I now want to use a Canon on the telescope. Do I buy an adapter for Canon for the telescope or a convertor so I can use my Nikon 2x convertor with the Canon?
Convertor as it gives you more options.

What 2x do you have?

Asher

Most telescope adapters use an eyepiece tube to T2, connected to a T2 mount for the camera, but one of my scopes can't reach infinity focus via T2 & I had to track down a similar system using c-mount instead (which works for my mirrorless cameras not DSLRs).
I would expect a Nikon-Canon adapter added to your existing mount to have more free play than going direct via T2, but as above both options should work - as will shooting through the eyepiece if that has suitable threads (only one of mine does) a coupling ring to connect your camera lens the an eyepiece or T2 mount to eyepiece both work.

Going via the eyepiece will give much more magnification than a 2x converter, but all the combinations can be cheap (less than $20 each) so there's little to stop you trying each & finding which one(s) work best for you.

On my scope Prime focus (camera direct to telescope) gives best IQ at lowest power (650mm f5), somewhat more power adding in an eyepiece (called positive projection) just how much depends on the eyepiece, adding a lens (this combination is referred to as A-focal) as well can add even more power but can make the effective aperture very small. With a 4mm eyepiece & a standard 50mm lens the scope would become a 8125mm f/64, diffraction makes this pretty useless - but substituting a 20mm eyepiece for a 1625mm f/12.5 works well. Fortunately my T2 threaded eyepiece zooms