• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bangladesh!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Part of being human, the best part, is the joy of valuing each other and this your picture shows so well.

Asher

Asher, showing/expressing this has been my aim during all that week in Bangladesh…
Thanks for pointing at it : )
This particular image in large print is really eye and mind catching… folks it is part of the exhibition in Paris (as well as 6 new prints… such as the "Man eaten by the machine" above…)

Jerome Marot

In our material-driven world, we are constantly upping the bar for what's needed. color TV's have to be larger, earphones need to have noise canceling and produce the experience of a sound studio and one's car needs to go from start to 100 KM per hour in 30 seconds or less!

Not at all. All we want is better cameras and bigger lenses. ;)

(A sidenote: I can't tell that you are not interested in cars. 0 to 100 Km/h in 30s is extremely slow. That is the performance of an old lorry, with cargo. 15s is slow, 12s is average, less than 10s is good. Sports cars do it in 6-7s or less.)

Jerome Marot

03_NCL5497_60x76_Prophoto_RVB.jpg

That image is very nice, and not only for the people smiles, but I have a few small questions:
1: how did you lit their faces?
2: I like the apparent sharpness of the people, but I find the bokeh on the background boats a bit strange. Did you use a sharpening plugin? That might explain the effect on the boats.

nicolas claris

That image is very nice, and not only for the people smiles, but I have a few small questions:
1: how did you lit their faces?
2: I like the apparent sharpness of the people, but I find the bokeh on the background boats a bit strange. Did you use a sharpening plugin? That might explain the effect on the boats.

Hi Jerome
1/ Natural light only, but the sunset wasn't against me! + LR4.3 highlight/shadow recovery
2/ This was shot at 400 ISO (you can see in the exif) with the Pentax 80-160 mm lens wich is a (very) handy zoom for that kind of work but which needs speed and low iso and small aperture as well… ƒ8 was the smallest I could use as I was shooting from another (moving) small boat, using 1/125 s which is not very fast for such a scene!
The sharpening process is not guilty.
Another point is that on large prints this effect is much less evident.
I know I have to change this lens, and will go for primes… am gonna try very soon the new stabilized 90 mm from Pentax : ). I have also been told that the 120 mm is a killer…

Jerome Marot

Another point is that on large prints this effect is much less evident.

I seem to recall that resizing down using bicubic interpolation has a sharpening effect. Maybe this is the explanation.

As to lenses, it seems that the Pentax MF system has quite compact lenses for a MF system. Hasselblad prime lenses are much bigger and zooms are so big and heavy that I would not consider them.

nicolas claris

I use "bicubique adapté au dégradés lisses" something alike bicubic for smooth gradients in English.
Much less aggressive ; )
Re Pentax lenses for the 645D all the primes I use (25, 55, 300mm) are superb…
The 80-160 zoom gets better at ƒ 11 and under… but then really comes the need of light (to get speed)!

nicolas claris

BANGLADESH ! See the virtual exhibition

Now that the exhibition is over, you can see the online version, including the short version of the movie…

Here

22_NCL3685.jpg

Now that the exhibition is over, you can see the online version, including the short version of the movie…

Here

22_NCL3685.jpg

Nicolas, they are beautiful. 15&16, remind me very much of a photo by Fritz Henle called Sisal Factory from way back in 1958. It is a compliment, as he is a photographer I admire and as it is a photo that I absolutely love. There is another that you have taken, that I do not see here, very similar to 16, but a vertical oreintation. I saw it when I did a video for Asher; I love that photo; I wish it were included in your grouping.

The short movie was very interesting also. Using sustainable products like bamboo and jute, not only ecological, but economically speaking, for these people, a wonderful way to a better life.

Well done, Nicolas.
Maggie

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Nicolas,

when I stumbled over your photos for the first time, I was fascinated by the crispy colors and the spacious impression of the Yacht-photos ...
Now I'm looking at photos with a very subtile lighting, noticeable life and a very intensive social component.
Thank you for that!
(and Lord, how I suffer from not being in Paris this time, Paris - the city "of my heart" ... in that country where I trie to get there anyhow once a year ...)

nicolas claris

Nicolas, they are beautiful. 15&16, remind me very much of a photo by Fritz Henle called Sisal Factory from way back in 1958. It is a compliment, as he is a photographer I admire and as it is a photo that I absolutely love. There is another that you have taken, that I do not see here, very similar to 16, but a vertical oreintation. I saw it when I did a video for Asher; I love that photo; I wish it were included in your grouping.

The short movie was very interesting also. Using sustainable products like bamboo and jute, not only ecological, but economically speaking, for these people, a wonderful way to a better life.

Well done, Nicolas.
Maggie

Oh! Maggie
Thank you for this very kind compliment.
This kind of photography, for me, can only done with heart and respect, then the rest comes logical…

The selection of photographs have been made by the gallery owner and it was just physically impossible to show one more image… You certainly saw this other photo because Asher received from me the hidden link to see the whole work…

Thank you again for visiting this virtual gallery

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

when I stumbled over your photos for the first time, I was fascinated by the crispy colors and the spacious impression of the Yacht-photos ...
Now I'm looking at photos with a very subtile lighting, noticeable life and a very intensive social component.
Thank you for that!
(and Lord, how I suffer from not being in Paris this time, Paris - the city "of my heart" ... in that country where I trie to get there anyhow once a year ...)

Thanks Wolfgang.
Yes Paris, in Summer, is wonderful!