• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Beautiful Swallowtail

Paul Iddon

A beautiful Swallowtail moth - one of our largest Geometrids. Ourapteryx sambucaria.

Being strictly nocturnal and having quite a short emergence period in late June - July, it is not often encountered by the non-enthusiast.

With that in mind, I am quite pleased to have had the opportunity to photograph one.

swallowtail02_4k_1800-X3.jpg

swallowtail03_4k_1800-X3.jpg

swallowtail01_4k_1800-X3.jpg

swallowtail06_4k_1800-X3.jpg

swallowtail05_4k_1800-X3.jpg

swallowtail04_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a fabulous treat! I like that it’s (mostly), undamaged. Peter Dexter also has the skill to find rarer moths without hurting them.

F1DE94AB-DB2D-4034-BE2E-0E17E79DB63A.jpeg

It’s such a great opportunity for the rest of us to enjoya wider array of creatures.

Of course we could open our eyes, but mostly we get around by ignoring 99.99% of everything around us!

Asher