• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bramble sawfly

Paul Iddon

It flew into the kitchen and landed on the inside of the window. I know it looks like outer space, but that's the fill-in flash picking up the flaws....

Anyway, I put my fingers in front of it and managed a couple of photos before it flew away and back to the garden (bad timing on my part!)

bramble_sawfly_a_4k_1800-XL.jpg

bramble_sawfly_b_4k_1800-XL.jpg

bramble_sawfly_c_4k_1800-XL.jpg

bramble_sawfly_d_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This critter mistook you for a bramble! Not too smart!

It’s essentially a miniature wasp creature without a pinched waist, LOL!

Pretty!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There are around 550 species of sawfly in the UK, many that are more striking to see than these.

Paul.
I wonder, do each of these have different taste for various brambles, or what?

I wonder whether they are different in behavior and life style!!

Asher

Paul Iddon

From what I read, it's only the bramble sawfly larvae are associated with the plant. The adults feed in hogweed.

Honeysuckle sawfly feed on on honeysuckle - and most of the other species has its own favoured plant.

Paul.