• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Buff Ermine Moth?

Paul Iddon

Found her very late last night, just after midnight!

I am assuming a recently emerged Buff Ermine Moth.

It was on the fence but as I got close it flew and landed on the apple tree trunk which made it harder to get to.

buff1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

buff2_4k_1800-X3.jpg

buff4blacks_1800_new-X3.jpg

buff5_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Do you think the fur is to keep it warm flying at night?

Also it appears that the fur is shed when a predator grabs at the moth which can, when very lucky, slide away unscathed!

Paul Iddon

They are actually derived from an arthropod body covering called setae (singular seta) which look very similar to our mammalian hairs. Moths use their fluffy-looking scales the same way we mammals use our fur: to provide insulation and keep warm. This is especially important for tiny, nocturnal animals.

Paul.