• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon CMOS sensor architecture (Chuck Westfall?)

D

Doug Kerr

As you can see from the notice of my new tutorial article, I have recently become interested in the architecture and operation of the CMOS "APS" sensor (no, not "APS-size" - "active pixel sensor").

My article was based on generic information from the general literature. (Yes, I am only one chapter ahead of the "students" on some topics. I mostly write these things to capture what I have learned before it escapes!)

Chuck (or others, of course): has Canon released any information on the architecture of the CMOS sensors used in contemporary EOS dSLR cameras? Of particular interest is the matter of the analog-to-digital converter(s) (ADC). Is there one per column of photodetectors ("pixels"), or one per row, or one per photodetector, or just one, or some other arrangement?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Canon CMOS sensor architecture

>>has Canon released any information on the architecture of the CMOS sensors used in contemporary EOS dSLR cameras?<<

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'architecture.' We have published several articles on our CMOS image sensor technology. Let me point you to this one as an example:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/cmos/index-e.html

Take a look at the Technology tab of this web site for more information.

>>Of particular interest is the matter of the analog-to-digital converter(s) (ADC). Is there one per column of photodetectors ("pixels"), or one per row, or one per photodetector, or just one, or some other arrangement?<<

According to Canon Inc.: "Each pixel has its own converter to convert the electrical charge to voltage. The electrical charge captured by the pixel is converted to voltage at the pixel and then read."

For more information on the basic structure of our CMOS image sensors, including a discussion of multi-channel readout:

http://www.canon.com/technology/d35mm/02.html

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
Director/Media & Customer Relationship
Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.